Honest critique

12 years 11 months ago #80375 by TheNissanMan
I've noticed on this forum (along with others) that critique tends to be a lot of great shots, love that etc for shots that I have to say look average at best, luckily don't see to many of those :)

From a photography forum which is a place for learning and improving your skills is it not better to be honest and give some proper crit or are people scared in case they upset the person posting the shots.

Personally when I post photo's that people don't like or just aren't right I would much prefer someone to have the balls to give some hard crit so I can learn from it and improve my skills...

Are people just afriad of upsetting people or are we all just ot polite ?

12 years 11 months ago #80385 by Nikonjan
We need a critique only section. I only comment on photos I think are good. I will offer suggestions if asked or will comment in a nice way. I agree it doesn't help anyone to say everything is great when you can help people make it better.

www.betterphoto.com?nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #80389 by TheNissanMan
Exactly my point, if a photo is posted and is a crap shot would it not be better to say why rather than rub someones ego and pretend it's the best thing since sliced bread :)

12 years 11 months ago #80397 by Nikonjan
Yes, And the people new to photography that take snapshots need more input as to what will make their photos better.

12 years 11 months ago #80399 by robbie

Nikonjan wrote: We need a critique only section. I only comment on photos I think are good. I will offer suggestions if asked or will comment in a nice way. I agree it doesn't help anyone to say everything is great when you can help people make it better.

My exact sentiment,couldn`t word it any better.This is where the poster comes in,if ask for 'strong' critique I will give a constructive critique with ways of improving the image.I love constructive critique
based on sound principles not whether you 'like' the image or not.Next time you post just ask for constructive critique.

12 years 11 months ago #80409 by Baydream

Nikonjan wrote: We need a critique only section. I only comment on photos I think are good. I will offer suggestions if asked or will comment in a nice way. I agree it doesn't help anyone to say everything is great when you can help people make it better.

:agree: This site has a lot of really good photographers and a slew of so-so folks trying to be good. You don't want to discourage the average or poor ones to the point they give up BUT anyone looking for serious critiques needs a place to post, don their thick skin, and learn.
Good post, Jan.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nikonjan
12 years 11 months ago #80421 by robbie

Nikonjan wrote: Yes, And the people new to photography that take snapshots need more input as to what will make their photos better.

Knowing the skill set of the photographer is important so as not 'break' him/her down but to offer encouragement and advise that will improve their skill level.With digital images processing skills are important to deliver the final product.I can remember a 'skilled photog' blasting me for trying 'to blind him' with my image!!!No kidding!

12 years 11 months ago #80429 by MLKstudios
As I pointed out in my now locked thread, giving good critiques is an artform. It is extremely difficult when you don't know the person on the other end, if not impossible.

I understand the desire to be lashed, but many aren't going to appreciate that you are trying to "help" them.

When I give critiques in my course, I only focus on what was covered that week. Did they get it, or not. Later, when I get a feeling for the person and we've exchanged many words (and images), I can suggest new roads, or be tough with them. But, I would never give a tough critique to someone I don't know in an open forum.

You simply don't know them well enough to cut to the bone. A good example is a mother who took a photo of their "adorable" baby. What if the image literally sucks. Are YOU going to tell her that? I wouldn't.

My 2¢ :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 11 months ago #80435 by Karl Wertanen
Somebody may have mentioned this already but there is a critique section.. Take a look through the main forum page... There is a separate heading labeled "Photo Galleries - For General Display or Critique" and many different types of topics under it . ex: Landscape, People, Macro ....
It's been a while since i've been on there but that is where i save my honest critiques rather than just spam somebody's personal gallery on their home page. :D

www.photographytalk.com/forum/index
12 years 11 months ago #80441 by Nikonjan

Karl Wertanen wrote: Somebody may have mentioned this already but there is a critique section.. Take a look through the main forum page... There is a separate heading labeled "Photo Galleries - For General Display or Critique" and many different types of topics under it . ex: Landscape, People, Macro ....
It's been a while since i've been on there but that is where i save my honest critiques rather than just spam somebody's personal gallery on their home page. :D

Yes, I recall I did see that, guess just use to seeing the latest threads and when people ask for critiques. I would ask someone first if they want input before giving it in their albums though. Better like mentioned to get to know someone. Sometimes you just want to post a snapshot of ,say a family member and don't care that it doesn't look "professional".

12 years 11 months ago #80443 by Baydream

Karl Wertanen wrote: Somebody may have mentioned this already but there is a critique section.. Take a look through the main forum page... There is a separate heading labeled "Photo Galleries - For General Display or Critique" and many different types of topics under it . ex: Landscape, People, Macro ....

Possibly because those sections are somewhat "buried" down the page, they often get overlooked. Good point.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #80463 by mj~shutterbugg
I will say for Me, that when I post and ask suggestions on improving I really want honest feedback. I recently posted a pic of my son I know isn't awesome, but he's having fun so I wanted to share. I also wanted to know if I had corrected the redness that covered his face with my post processing knowing full well I may not have and posted as such. That's the photographer looking for help. Not the Mom showing off her son. You can critique that photo without commenting on my son's attractiveness.

I also posted a portrait of my niece and did get some advice that will be useable for next time. That's my goal, education, growth, improvement.

I guess when I am asking for a crit I am used to Crystal's style and want it clear and concise. I put on my big girl panties for a crit post. I try to also post my critique requests in the crit forums as I thought that is where everyone went to get advice. I can post them under general photo as well. I guess this is me saying feel free to honestly, constructively crit any of my works I post for critique ;)

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 11 months ago #80563 by John Landolfi
That's tne reason I seldom visit those galleries, even though I posted many photos on them. Have you ever tried to go back to a particular image, and tale a further look? A thread devoted to soliciting and offering constructive criticism seems like a good idea.

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #80571 by Baydream

John Landolfi wrote: That's tne reason I seldom visit those galleries, even though I posted many photos on them. Have you ever tried to go back to a particular image, and tale a further look? A thread devoted to soliciting and offering constructive criticism seems like a good idea.

OK, John has created a thread for HONEST CRITIQUES.
www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...nstructive-criticism
:owned:

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #81335 by crystal

TheNissanMan wrote: I've noticed on this forum (along with others) that critique tends to be a lot of great shots, love that etc for shots that I have to say look average at best, luckily don't see to many of those :)

From a photography forum which is a place for learning and improving your skills is it not better to be honest and give some proper crit or are people scared in case they upset the person posting the shots.

Personally when I post photo's that people don't like or just aren't right I would much prefer someone to have the balls to give some hard crit so I can learn from it and improve my skills...

Are people just afriad of upsetting people or are we all just ot polite ?

I tell the honest truth of what I think of the photo, how I think it could improve. I just haven't been on the critique section in a long time. But don't worry, when I get back from vacation, I'll crtitique all photos you post and anyone else post.

I think most people are afraid to give their honest opinion. I think some have no idea how to make the photo people. I, on the other hand, have no problem saying how I feel.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024