Care to discuss portrait lenses?

13 years 4 months ago #8242 by Steven.Powell
So I have a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 and was just reading a blog about the 85mm f/2.8 being a pretty killer lens for portraits. How come the 105mm f/2.8 doesn't get considered as a good portrait lens as the 85mm does?

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #8244 by McBeth Photography
I don't really know why the 85mm made the 105mm into a paperweight. I still use my old Nikkor-p 105mm f2.5 and still love the DOF it offers. However I don't believe in rules about portrait lenses I've shot some decent portraits with my AF 50mm f1.8d as well as my 35-70mm f2.8d. And another great portrait lens is my old Micro-Nikkor55mm f3.5.

It really is about selecting the lens that fits your vision and perception of the situation and the desired effect. Portraits are more about what's in your head than what's in front of the camera, getting your thought into print.

It is what it is.
13 years 4 months ago #8247 by Steven.Powell

McBeth Photography wrote: I don't really know why the 85mm made the 105mm into a paperweight. I still use my old Nikkor-p 105mm f2.5 and still love the DOF it offers. However I don't believe in rules about portrait lenses I've shot some decent portraits with my AF 50mm f1.8d as well as my 35-70mm f2.8d. And another great prtrait lens is my old Micro-Nikkor55mm f3.5.

It really is about selecting the lens that fits your vision and perception of the situation and the desired effect. Portrait are more about what's in your head than what's in front of the camera, getting your thought into print.

I know! HUH? :blink: You hear all this talk about the 85mm for portraits, but the 105mm get's kudo's for being a macro lens more than a portrait light. Matter of fact I've not seen anyone talk about the 105mm as being a portrait lens yet. :dry:

13 years 4 months ago #8249 by Yasko
For the record, Steve McCurry shot what could be considered the most famous portrait, "Afghan Girl", with a 105mm f2.5 lens.

Good question though. Perhaps 85mm is very sought after these days because it's not such a long focal length that it makes portraits look overly flat or distorted yet you can put a more comfortable distance between you and the subject than a 50mm lens.

Another consideration, 100, 105, and 135mm lenses were very popular as portrait lenses in the days of film. With the cropped sensor sizes in the digitals these days, the 85mm essentially simulates these longer focal lengths.

I've shot portraits with 50, 70, 85, and 135 lenses, and I agree with McBeth, depends on the situation and your desired effect

13 years 4 months ago #8253 by Patty Ganahl

Yasko wrote: For the record, Steve McCurry shot what could be considered the most famous portrait, "Afghan Girl", with a 105mm f2.5 lens.

Good question though. Perhaps 85mm is very sought after these days because it's not such a long focal length that it makes portraits look overly flat or distorted yet you can put a more comfortable distance between you and the subject than a 50mm lens.

Another consideration, 100, 105, and 135mm lenses were very popular as portrait lenses in the days of film. With the cropped sensor sizes in the digitals these days, the 85mm essentially simulates these longer focal lengths.

I've shot portraits with 50, 70, 85, and 135 lenses, and I agree with McBeth, depends on the situation and your desired effect

But then if you were shooting with a full frame camera, that 105mm would be exactly that. ;)

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8322 by Vladimir
I have a friend who is a professional photographer, he swears by the 85mm, but I just called him up and asked him about your thread topic. He says he uses both. The 85mm he says does give a tad more "crisp" in his photos as he put it.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #16136 by McBeth Photography

Guess which lens I used here....

It is what it is.
Attachments:
13 years 3 months ago #16140 by photobod
Its a personal thing I believe, depends entirely what you want to achieve, I have seen superb portraits taken with a 50mm lens

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #16172 by Gammill

McBeth Photography wrote:

Guess which lens I used here....

105mm??

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16188 by Rob pix4u2
Looks like 105 but how can you really tell how close you are to your subject ? I have a 100mm lens that works well and I like the perspective it gives but haven't really used it with digital-only film

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 3 months ago #16217 by Screamin Scott

Steven.Powell wrote: So I have a Nikon 105mm f/2.8 and was just reading a blog about the 85mm f/2.8 being a pretty killer lens for portraits. How come the 105mm f/2.8 doesn't get considered as a good portrait lens as the 85mm does?

Steve,
the 105mm F2.8 is a Micro Nikkor & as such is optimized for macro distances, since that was the intent of the designers , it's only natural that it wouldn't be as good as the 85mm...Bear in mind that Nikon also has the 105mm F 2.5 which as stated above , is an excellent portrait lens, but it won't do macro as it wasn't designed that way...Another point about portrait lenses is that everyone wants a "sharp" lens, but they will show every imperfection on a woman's face & what woman wants that?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #16221 by McBeth Photography
Scott said, "Another point about portrait lenses is that everyone wants a "sharp" lens, but they will show every imperfection on a woman's face & what woman wants that? "

It took me about a year to figure that out Scott, which is why I looked for and bought a "Nikon soft 1" filter to fuzz up the sharpness on my AF Nikkor 35-70mm 2.8D which is what I took the pic above with. 70mm focal length on a D70. f5.6 and bounce flash. I also cropped about a third of the pic off to re-frame the shot.

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #16459 by Stealthy Ninja
Basically anything between 85 and 200 is OK for portraits.

The most popular being 85 and 135. Canon's 135L is awesome for portraits and Nikon don't have anything to match it yet.

IMHO the best 85mm lens out there is the SIGMA 85 1.4... seriously, Sigma.

The Canon 85 1.2L is special, but it's over priced and slow.

THe Nikon 85 1.4 is probably just as good as the Sigma, but it's more expensive (about double if memory serves me correctly).

Sigma 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 also have really nice bokeh. :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024