Camera sync speed with flash

13 years 4 months ago #8341 by Happy Hour
How come camera's are limited to 1/200 or 1/250th of the second camera to flash sync speed? Doesn't that seem restrictive?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8342 by Screamin Scott
Different cameras have different sync speeds...The Nikon D70s that I have has a top sync speed of 1/500th. Back in film days, many cameras were only 1/60th max. If you set the shutter speed above the max sync speed, the result is only a portion of the frame captured if any at all. Once you press the shutter, the flash has to go off while the shutter curtains are open. Using too high of a shutter speed causes the flash be be blocked by a curtain that isn't fully open, resulting in only a portion of the scene exposed..

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8343 by Happy Hour

Screamin Scott wrote: Different cameras have different sync speeds...The Nikon D70s that I have has a top sync speed of 1/500th. Back in film days, many cameras were only 1/60th max. If you set the shutter speed above the max sync speed, the result is only a portion of the frame captured if any at all. Once you press the shutter, the flash has to go off while the shutter curtains are open. Using too high of a shutter speed causes the flash be be blocked by a curtain that isn't fully open, resulting in only a portion of the scene exposed..

So your D70 is faster than my D90? If that being the case, did Nikon just snooze on this or purposely reduced the sync speed in the D90?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8346 by Screamin Scott
I'm not really sure why. Maybe the shutter unit itself is different, resulting in the change...Shame modern cameras don't have the old "in the lens shutters" that old cameras had. They could sync at all speeds...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8347 by Happy Hour

Screamin Scott wrote: I'm not really sure why. Maybe the shutter unit itself is different, resulting in the change...Shame modern cameras don't have the old "in the lens shutters" that old cameras had. They could sync at all speeds...

Interesting, I think I'm going to spend some time on Google to find this one. ;)

Thanks Scott!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8355 by Yasko
I'm not as familiar with Nikons as I am Canons, but I'm sure your D90 can synch to a lot faster than 1/250th. All you need to do is enable high-speed synch on your speed light ;)

13 years 4 months ago #8358 by Screamin Scott
Nikon cameras offer it as well...Here's a link to some info

pixsylated.com/2008/11/simple-truths-about-high-speed-sync/

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024