Tilt shift lenses

12 years 10 months ago #97931 by Superman
I'm looking around at different lenses right now and have absolutely zero experience with a tilt shift lens. So are these pretty much used on landscape and photos of buildings? Or what other purpose would a lens like this have in your camera bag?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #97953 by MLKstudios
Architecture mostly. But you can use them for everything. Fashion, the minature look (world looks like a toy), and many other things.

The reason they cost so much, is the image circle it creates is larger than normal. That allows you to shift the lens off center. When you tilt, it needs to be a bit larger too, so combined, the circle needs to be much bigger than a normal 35mm frame.

Tilting a lens simply angles the plane of focus. You can use it to bring more of a subject in focus using a large aperture, or in reverse, to make parts of the frame that would be in focus and use it to make them soft.

If you ever get a chance to shoot with a view camera (aka large format) you get all those things and more. It's the best tool to learn about tilts, shifts and swings used to control the image. They can be found on eBay for not too much dinaro.

Rail cameras used in a studio have the most versatility. You can tilt, swing and shift the backs too.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #97995 by icepics
There was a thread not long ago about Lensbabies and how they're a version of a tilt lens. I have a couple of them and they focus by moving the lens in and out, then you can tilt it to distort whatever part of the image you want. If you look at the Lensbaby website it should show some examples. I got mine used and they weren't easy to find but were a lot less (and more simple) than the ones they're making now.

The way it works reminds me a little of an old bellows camera. I have one that's nearly 100 years old and it has a small rail where the lens opening and bellows slide in and out (but there's no tilt).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98117 by Conner
So would this lens be considered a novelty lens? Speciality might be a better word for that.

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98127 by icepics
Yeah that's probably a good description, I think the Lensbaby would be considered more a specialty or special effect lens. I haven't used any other type tilt lens, there may be some that you could get more use out of than the Lensbaby. That's why I went w/used - it isn't something I'd use enough to make it worthwhile to put a lot of money into it.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98233 by crystal
And if anyone is looking to buy a Lensbaby, I am selling mine.
12 years 10 months ago #98247 by Joves

Conner wrote: So would this lens be considered a novelty lens? Speciality might be a better word for that.

Specialty for the TS lens but really you can use it on anything. That is when you learn how to use it. The Lensbabies I call novelty. If I want to do TS shooting then I will get the lens.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024