Any clever ideas to quickly deal wth lens fog?

12 years 10 months ago #98179 by Henry Peach
Ahh, summer is here. After a couple hours shooting inside a 65F chapel I had to step out into 95F, muggy weather to catch the B & G exiting to bubbles. I look through the viewfinder, and it's thick fog! I hoped it was just the viewfinder, but no such luck. It was the front element fogging up. I was fast with the lens cloth, but I had to keep wiping between shots. It took about 5 min to equalize, which normally wouldn't be a problem, but it is in this situation. Any clever ideas? What do people who wear glasses do?
12 years 10 months ago #98189 by chasrich
I run into the Florida humidity all the time. I even got fogging under the UV filter. My tried and true solutions include...

Using the car vent with the heater on...

Hand dryer in a public restroom...

Wet a towel in hot, hot water or microwave a damp cloth
and warm the front lens with that, then dry...

Remove the lens cap and let the sun shine on it for a minute...

If the Bride is hot or the Model ask them to touch the lens passionately... :kiss:

Bottom line - warm that puppie up then dry it off.

Have a spare lens warmed up and ready for out doors.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98229 by Joves
Well the only thing I know that kills fogging is shaving cream. I like Barbisol for treating glass of all types against fog. It works on bathroom mirrors to keep the steam from fogging them as well for a week or two. I know it sounds crazy but it works. You just put it on wipe it off and buff it. :lol:
Also RainX makes an anti fogging product.

12 years 10 months ago #98257 by Street Shark

Joves wrote: Well the only thing I know that kills fogging is shaving cream. I like Barbisol for treating glass of all types against fog. It works on bathroom mirrors to keep the steam from fogging them as well for a week or two. I know it sounds crazy but it works. You just put it on wipe it off and buff it. :lol:

I've heard using RainX before, can this be done?

Photo Comments
12 years 10 months ago #98399 by Henry Peach

Joves wrote: Well the only thing I know that kills fogging is shaving cream.

I wonder if those cause any problems with the multi-coatings?
12 years 10 months ago #98403 by chasrich

Henry Peach wrote:

I was wondering that myself. Also, they don't prevent the moisture from forming on the lens they merely reduce the surface tension and prevent it from fogging. When they wear off they most likely would wear unevenly. Scuba divers spit in their masks to reduce fogging when diving in cold water.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 10 months ago #98429 by Henry Peach

chasrich wrote: Scuba divers spit in their masks to reduce fogging when diving in cold water.

I was thinking about that as I kept wiping. I was worried it would end up being worse.

Normally I work out of a Pelican case, which is sealed when closed. This keeps the back-up gear from cooling down/heating up too much. At most weddings I also have the few minutes required for the cold lens to warm up. This was a small, fast wedding, and I decided it was safe to leave the case in the car. Next time I'll just anticipate the problem, and tell the B & G I need a few minutes for my gear to acclimate (or to go get a back-up camera) before they make their grand exit. :)
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98435 by MLKstudios
If you're lucky you'll get that "bride filter" look. Dreamy and hazy.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #98439 by chasrich

MLKstudios wrote: If you're lucky you'll get that "bride filter" look. Dreamy and hazy.

:)

As opposed to that spit on and POed... :rofl:

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #98455 by Henry Peach

MLKstudios wrote: If you're lucky you'll get that "bride filter" look. Dreamy and hazy.

That excuse did occur to me. :) "It's not a mistake, it's art!"
12 years 10 months ago #98461 by MLKstudios
We call that, "The Happy Accident".

;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 10 months ago #98849 by Joves

Henry Peach wrote:

Shouldnt at all. Magnesium Flourite is actually fairly tough, neither of them have any abrasives in them. I line in Az now so humidity is not really a problem. We start sweating like crazy when it gets over 40% and up here on the mountain I can feel it change when clouds pass over head some days.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024