Can I get some feedback/critique on my website please?

12 years 2 months ago #205541 by pottsy62
Can I get some of you wonderful people to check out my web-site (still under construction, but usable) for comments, critiques, or whatever :watching:
I'm getting over 1000 hits per month :owned: , but they are not converting into anything.:toocrazy:

Any suggestions, hints, or advice would be greatly appreciated but PLEASE don't just bag it. Thanks, :banana: :cheers: :banana:

A.K.A. potts62
A.K.A. warmonger62
A.K.A. Andrew C. Potts

Hey, YOU... Yes - YOU...come and see my site...
:rofl: :cheers: :thumbsup: www.snowleopardanimation.com.au :thumbsup: :cheers: :rofl:

12 years 2 months ago #205557 by chasrich
Make that 1001 hits this month. Nice job...:thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 2 months ago #205564 by pottsy62
Thanks chas, that is REALLY appreciated!

:rofl: :cheers: :thumbsup: www.snowleopardanimation.com.au :thumbsup: :cheers: :rofl:

12 years 2 months ago #205568 by steveheap
Well....

You did ask for critiques.

I found the home page muddled and confused. The logo looks very very old fashioned for the business you are in. It would be OK if you were taking pictures of people in old costumes, but not good for a digital studio.
The details about hours, location etc. would be far better on a separate page. They all run into each other and are not appropriate for the landing page anyway. You need to get people excited on the home page with a startling image I think.
I'm not sure what the slide show is about - seems to be unrelated images and not too interesting to be honest.

When I go to the digital manipulation I see the wedding and spiders and the paragraphs about Raw, but what is the offering? What are you trying to sell on that page?

On the digital photography options, the examples of before and after are pretty lame. The spider is just enlarged a bit, the bird is - well, pretty strange and seems to be out of focus. I also think the white balance is better in the original.

Sorry this is all negatives, but you asked why you aren't getting conversions. I haven't a clue what you are selling.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 2 months ago #205572 by pottsy62
Thanks Steve, yes I did ask for critiques, and I'm glad you visited my page. ALL of your comments will be taken on-board, because, as you said...

Sorry this is all negatives, but you asked why you aren't getting conversions. I haven't a clue what you are selling.

This is what I needed, so again, thank you. I will repost as soon as I have modified (hopefully within 2 weeks, as my daughter and son-in-law are moving on Thursday, and it'll probably take at LEAT a week to deal with them), and hopefully, it will look much better.
In the mean time, I still ask for critiques and feedback.

Andrew

Facebook work profile: www.facebook.com/pages/Snow-Leopard-Animation/43833479673

pottsy62
warmonger62
Andrew C. Potts
Snow Leopard Animation

12 years 1 month ago #205589 by Darrell
:agree:. I agree 100 percent with Steve. Wow! I have no idea what you do or sell. The sample images poor

Your Page should POP!!

Good Luck. :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 1 month ago #205615 by geoffellis
Gotta lose that banner in the off-center middle of the page. doesnt look or feel appropriate there. customize your cms banner with something new and relevant

you also need to center and space text. right now things just dont look spaced properly, nor does much of it look centered or streamlined (ie registration notice in the corner doesnt line up with the images beneath it, or the information text jammed together like that).

You really need to play with your cms template though... cause quite frankly... it looks way too much like a cms. heh
12 years 1 month ago #205621 by pottsy62
Thanks Darrell for checking out ny site. Your comments are simple and valid, and I appreciate your honesty. It look s like I've got a LOT of work to do...
:rofl: :thumbsup: :rofl:

12 years 1 month ago #205625 by pottsy62
Cheers geoggelliss, comments appreciated! Some I may have to rip it down and start over. :cheers: :thumbsup: :cheers:

12 years 1 month ago #205731 by steveheap
Thanks for taking our comments so positively! You might think about trying wordpress - you can do some great things with it that look nothing like a blog.

I'm probably going to throw myself to the wolves here, but I made a site that sells my wife's jewelry using Wordpress and I think that is looking OK. Not many conversions yet, though :sick:

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 1 month ago #205747 by geoffellis

steveheap wrote: Thanks for taking our comments so positively! You might think about trying wordpress - you can do some great things with it that look nothing like a blog.

I'm probably going to throw myself to the wolves here, but I made a site that sells my wife's jewelry using Wordpress and I think that is looking OK. Not many conversions yet, though :sick:

Steve

I actually think your site is overall pretty good. definitely looks like a significant amount of effort went into it, wordpress or not lol.

My comment would be the same one you made to the OP though i believe... It really wasnt obvious to me that you were selling anything. I was clicking through the different headers when i suddenly said to myself "hey wait a second... didnt he say this was made to sell jewellery? wheres the store??". Had you not said that I probably would have looked at a few more pictures and then left none the wiser lol. It wasnt until I clicked on two consecutive picture links that got me to a page with product information and pricing that would make it obvious this was an ONLINE store.

They say people make a decision in seconds about whether they will delve deeper into a website and a significant amount of that time is looking at the images, headers, etc... someone looking to purchase something probably wont find your store pages unless they already knew or someone told them haha

My suggestion would be to have a box somewhere, with "highlights", that includes a price/options and a "buy now" type button somewhere on the index page. Because really, there are two types of websites for businesses. There is a commerce site, and a "portfolio" site. Commerce obviously does selling, but a portfolio site will often simply to display products or services that generate leads, not actual sales like a commerce site.

Anyways, im just saying that yours looks more like a portfolio site to the casual observer... which might be why your conversions are lower than expected....
12 years 1 month ago #205756 by steveheap
Great comments - thanks! I had this neat idea of having graphical links to the different types of jewelry - pendants, necklaces etc, and then you would have images of the different sorts, and then you could choose which ones you want to buy. But I can see that this now just looks like a photography site where you look at a portfolio. I'll have to see how I can get the viewer to scratch that "buy it now" itch up front!

That will test my Wordpress skills to the limit!

Thanks again.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 1 month ago #205776 by geoffellis

steveheap wrote: Great comments - thanks! I had this neat idea of having graphical links to the different types of jewelry - pendants, necklaces etc, and then you would have images of the different sorts, and then you could choose which ones you want to buy. But I can see that this now just looks like a photography site where you look at a portfolio. I'll have to see how I can get the viewer to scratch that "buy it now" itch up front!

That will test my Wordpress skills to the limit!

Thanks again.

Steve

Ah I love the pictures... and the jewellery is very nice. And your approach was very logical and systematic... its the psychology that matters in sales though. Im not saying you need to directly modify your whole approach though, simply expand on it. The site is rather obviously a store once you start reading stuff... Im thinking perhaps. on the index page at the top where you do seem to have a featured set of products... on that blurb have pricing for the piece or something. then link to the post.

Its good to have outside perspective on things like this cause quite frankly, people are biased. For you, you know its a store. thats obvious to you lol. it probably never even crossed your mind that perhaps people wouldnt automatically know what you know heh

Anyways... to get back on topic... OP: Another reason to get rid of that center banner is that the ABN displayed... is wrong :P It shows 60 744 294 658 but it should really be 68 744 294 658 no? lol. Im not Australian so im not sure if there are any potential legal concerns about supplying a false ABN... but i doubt its acceptable ;)
12 years 1 month ago #205805 by steveheap

My suggestion would be to have a box somewhere, with "highlights", that includes a price/options and a "buy now" type button somewhere on the index page. Because really, there are two types of websites for businesses. There is a commerce site, and a "portfolio" site. Commerce obviously does selling, but a portfolio site will often simply to display products or services that generate leads, not actual sales like a commerce site.

Just to show how flexible wordpress can be, I've been working on putting this great suggestion into place.

Do you think this is a clearer indication of a shop rather than a portfolio? I've moved the shopping cart to the top on the right hand column, and also added a buy it now option to each of the five pieces that rotate around in the banner. Not too difficult to maintain as we add new products either.

Steve

My Stock Photo Blog
www.backyardsilver.com

12 years 1 month ago #205985 by geoffellis

steveheap wrote: I've moved the shopping cart to the top on the right hand column, and also added a buy it now option to each of the five pieces that rotate around in the banner. Not too difficult to maintain as we add new products either.

ya... i would say that is definitely a lot clearer... and still well presented. hope this helps improve your conversion rate :)

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024