Into The Valley

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #384143 by RyanDyar
img\def

Most photographers I know (or artists in general) all have their one favorite peice of work they have created. A peice that represents best what they constantly strive to make... a defining moment in their own history when everything comes together and falls into harmounious place. This shot is that for me. It's probably not the best shot I have ever taken, but it's special to me for many reasons. 

A few years ago, I was spending yet another summer in Glacier National Park, an eden for landscape photographers. The place is breathtaking, really. But this breathtaking beauty means it's photographed... A LOT. So having found this unique comp, that had not been previously photographed to my knowledge, was an exciting moment for me. 

I spent the next 4 evenings sitting atop this waterfall, soaking my nether regions in the cold snowmelt that feeds it. Finally on the last night, the light I was dying for happened. But for me, it's not the epic light that stands out in my mind when recalling this evening. It's the place, the solitude I had that evening with nobody around me, the excitement of having longhorn sheep walk right up to me for a couple sniffs (I hadn't showered for probably 9 days), and knowing that I was going to create something that would be really special to me. 

It's those things that make this shot so special to me. Everything just fell into place. The comp, the light, the moment as a whole... and now the memories. And since this is such a special image for me, I tend to go back every couple of years to reprocess it to keep it looking it's best. So recently I sat down to do just that. When I finished, I looked at this new version compared to the old version... it left me feeling embarrassed for myself. The old version is SO bad. It really showed me how much I've grown and learned with my post processing. 

So, here it is. My favorite photo I have ever taken... featuring Lewis Range peaks Reynolds Mountain, Cannon Mountain, and Mount Oberlin. In a large print of this image, you can see part of the 600ft Bird Woman Falls in between the distant peaks as well as tall stands of Beargrass blooms in the meadows to the right. 

Anyways, I recently released a tutorial video that covers some of the techniques I use in my processing (ones that were used in the making of this image). I also lead in-field workshops, teach processing online via Skype screen sharing, and blah blah blah.
Also, I'm happy to announce that I will be co-leading a tour in March with my friend Arild Heitmann! 10 epic days of chasing light across Norway. Mountains, beaches, beaches with mountains, Aurora, long arctic sunrises and sunsets. It's destined to be the trip of lifetime! 
You can check it all out at www.ryandyarphotography.com

10 years 1 month ago #384149 by Scotty

RyanDyar wrote:

img\def

Most photographers I know (or artists in general) all have their one favorite peice of work they have created. A peice that represents best what they constantly strive to make... a defining moment in their own history when everything comes together and falls into harmounious place. This shot is that for me. It's probably not the best shot I have ever taken, but it's special to me for many reasons. 

A few years ago, I was spending yet another summer in Glacier National Park, an eden for landscape photographers. The place is breathtaking, really. But this breathtaking beauty means it's photographed... A LOT. So having found this unique comp, that had not been previously photographed to my knowledge, was an exciting moment for me. 

I spent the next 4 evenings sitting atop this waterfall, soaking my nether regions in the cold snowmelt that feeds it. Finally on the last night, the light I was dying for happened. But for me, it's not the epic light that stands out in my mind when recalling this evening. It's the place, the solitude I had that evening with nobody around me, the excitement of having longhorn sheep walk right up to me for a couple sniffs (I hadn't showered for probably 9 days), and knowing that I was going to create something that would be really special to me. 

It's those things that make this shot so special to me. Everything just fell into place. The comp, the light, the moment as a whole... and now the memories. And since this is such a special image for me, I tend to go back every couple of years to reprocess it to keep it looking it's best. So recently I sat down to do just that. When I finished, I looked at this new version compared to the old version... it left me feeling embarrassed for myself. The old version is SO bad. It really showed me how much I've grown and learned with my post processing. 

So, here it is. My favorite photo I have ever taken... featuring Lewis Range peaks Reynolds Mountain, Cannon Mountain, and Mount Oberlin. In a large print of this image, you can see part of the 600ft Bird Woman Falls in between the distant peaks as well as tall stands of Beargrass blooms in the meadows to the right. 

Anyways, I recently released a tutorial video that covers some of the techniques I use in my processing (ones that were used in the making of this image). I also lead in-field workshops, teach processing online via Skype screen sharing, and blah blah blah.
Also, I'm happy to announce that I will be co-leading a tour in March with my friend Arild Heitmann! 10 epic days of chasing light across Norway. Mountains, beaches, beaches with mountains, Aurora, long arctic sunrises and sunsets. It's destined to be the trip of lifetime! 
You can check it all out at www.ryandyarphotography.com

Moved this to the share your website section.  If you're interested in becoming a vendor and getting business through this site, please contact the administrator.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024