Into The Valley

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #384143 by RyanDyar
img\def

Most photographers I know (or artists in general) all have their one favorite peice of work they have created. A peice that represents best what they constantly strive to make... a defining moment in their own history when everything comes together and falls into harmounious place. This shot is that for me. It's probably not the best shot I have ever taken, but it's special to me for many reasons. 

A few years ago, I was spending yet another summer in Glacier National Park, an eden for landscape photographers. The place is breathtaking, really. But this breathtaking beauty means it's photographed... A LOT. So having found this unique comp, that had not been previously photographed to my knowledge, was an exciting moment for me. 

I spent the next 4 evenings sitting atop this waterfall, soaking my nether regions in the cold snowmelt that feeds it. Finally on the last night, the light I was dying for happened. But for me, it's not the epic light that stands out in my mind when recalling this evening. It's the place, the solitude I had that evening with nobody around me, the excitement of having longhorn sheep walk right up to me for a couple sniffs (I hadn't showered for probably 9 days), and knowing that I was going to create something that would be really special to me. 

It's those things that make this shot so special to me. Everything just fell into place. The comp, the light, the moment as a whole... and now the memories. And since this is such a special image for me, I tend to go back every couple of years to reprocess it to keep it looking it's best. So recently I sat down to do just that. When I finished, I looked at this new version compared to the old version... it left me feeling embarrassed for myself. The old version is SO bad. It really showed me how much I've grown and learned with my post processing. 

So, here it is. My favorite photo I have ever taken... featuring Lewis Range peaks Reynolds Mountain, Cannon Mountain, and Mount Oberlin. In a large print of this image, you can see part of the 600ft Bird Woman Falls in between the distant peaks as well as tall stands of Beargrass blooms in the meadows to the right. 

Anyways, I recently released a tutorial video that covers some of the techniques I use in my processing (ones that were used in the making of this image). I also lead in-field workshops, teach processing online via Skype screen sharing, and blah blah blah.
Also, I'm happy to announce that I will be co-leading a tour in March with my friend Arild Heitmann! 10 epic days of chasing light across Norway. Mountains, beaches, beaches with mountains, Aurora, long arctic sunrises and sunsets. It's destined to be the trip of lifetime! 
You can check it all out at www.ryandyarphotography.com

9 years 10 months ago #384149 by Scotty

RyanDyar wrote:

img\def

Most photographers I know (or artists in general) all have their one favorite peice of work they have created. A peice that represents best what they constantly strive to make... a defining moment in their own history when everything comes together and falls into harmounious place. This shot is that for me. It's probably not the best shot I have ever taken, but it's special to me for many reasons. 

A few years ago, I was spending yet another summer in Glacier National Park, an eden for landscape photographers. The place is breathtaking, really. But this breathtaking beauty means it's photographed... A LOT. So having found this unique comp, that had not been previously photographed to my knowledge, was an exciting moment for me. 

I spent the next 4 evenings sitting atop this waterfall, soaking my nether regions in the cold snowmelt that feeds it. Finally on the last night, the light I was dying for happened. But for me, it's not the epic light that stands out in my mind when recalling this evening. It's the place, the solitude I had that evening with nobody around me, the excitement of having longhorn sheep walk right up to me for a couple sniffs (I hadn't showered for probably 9 days), and knowing that I was going to create something that would be really special to me. 

It's those things that make this shot so special to me. Everything just fell into place. The comp, the light, the moment as a whole... and now the memories. And since this is such a special image for me, I tend to go back every couple of years to reprocess it to keep it looking it's best. So recently I sat down to do just that. When I finished, I looked at this new version compared to the old version... it left me feeling embarrassed for myself. The old version is SO bad. It really showed me how much I've grown and learned with my post processing. 

So, here it is. My favorite photo I have ever taken... featuring Lewis Range peaks Reynolds Mountain, Cannon Mountain, and Mount Oberlin. In a large print of this image, you can see part of the 600ft Bird Woman Falls in between the distant peaks as well as tall stands of Beargrass blooms in the meadows to the right. 

Anyways, I recently released a tutorial video that covers some of the techniques I use in my processing (ones that were used in the making of this image). I also lead in-field workshops, teach processing online via Skype screen sharing, and blah blah blah.
Also, I'm happy to announce that I will be co-leading a tour in March with my friend Arild Heitmann! 10 epic days of chasing light across Norway. Mountains, beaches, beaches with mountains, Aurora, long arctic sunrises and sunsets. It's destined to be the trip of lifetime! 
You can check it all out at www.ryandyarphotography.com

Moved this to the share your website section.  If you're interested in becoming a vendor and getting business through this site, please contact the administrator.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024