Some kids doing sports.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157361 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's some shots I took at my daughter's sports day. Didn't actually intend to take photos, but I brought my camera anyway. :whistle:

Tee hee.

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #157363 by photobod
the 1st and last one look a bit soft on the face wich is where I would have thought you would focus, or maybe its the size and download, the middle two are great love the looks of concentration on the kids faces, it brings memories back to me of my kids sports days, fun times. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157364 by Stealthy Ninja
Yeh i you're right on the first one, it's a little front focused. I like the pose though, so I put it up. A lot of the appearance of softness is not the picture though as it's pretty sharp on the face considering. It's the compression on PT or the fact they're screen grabs and not proper exports (sue me I'm lazy)... causing most that sharpness problem.

Here's 100% grabs comparing the face to her shoe. Yep, that's a little front focused.

Yes and as I look at the next shot in the sequence her face is much sharper in that shot (see?):

Well I still like the pose of the first one more. :banana: or is it caused by movement blur? I've just confused myself... anyone got a pill for that? :drool:

These are actually screen grabs I sent to Scotty to have a look at... I exported the first one and uploaded it again, you'll see the increased sharpness now. :)

The first one is slightly front focused I guess. But considering she's running/jumping towards me I think the camera kept up well enough. ;)

Also here's a 100% crop of the last one. :)

Not bad for a D7000 + 28-300 (which I just threw in my bag not expecting to actually take photos). :blink:
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157369 by Stealthy Ninja
Here's another with the face perfectly in focus (just for you David). :)

Proof the D7000 tracks pretty good right there, I didn't prefocus these, just let the camera track them.

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157373 by photobod
I did say it may have been the download Adrian so I was correct in what I said as is proven by the 2nd lot of photos :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

So no more being lazy ok !!!

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157379 by Stealthy Ninja
LOL ironically I'm working harder showing the problems with my shots and how sharp they actually are than if I'd just exported them in the first place. HA.

Thanks for making me work hard (ya b*stard :p ). :)

I'm only lazy because I'm so busy doing other stuff. Does that make me lazy or efficient?! :huh:
12 years 6 months ago #157382 by Stealthy Ninja
Kinda like the mise-en-scène here:

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #157384 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Kinda like the mise-en-scène here:

Super shot, seems like a very decent camera, my next move is looking like a D700 unless I win the lottery then I may indulge myself with a Hasselblad just to show off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157389 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Super shot, seems like a very decent camera, my next move is looking like a D700 unless I win the lottery then I may indulge myself with a Hasselblad just to show off :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LOL thanks man.

Lucky for me I've got a good camera to take my photos for me. :whistle:

Seriously though, it's AF is pretty darn good considering it's price. Not D3s levels but not bad at all. I'm glad I had a chance to try it out in a semi-professional manner (I mean I wasn't paid, but I did my best).

Also, the lens (28-300) is surprisingly good for a super zoom I've got to say. Sharp and focuses pretty quickly. So far I've stumbled into shooting a wedding with it (on the D3s) and a sports event (on D7000). Both events I didn't intend to do serious photography and both events the 28-300 came through (with help from my awesome skills that is). :whistle:

I'm also thinking of a D700 for events too. Waiting to see what the D800 is like unless I get nice high paying event that I think needs the D700, then I'll just buy it and be done.
12 years 6 months ago #157390 by photobod

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

LOL thanks man.

Seriously though, it's AF is pretty darn good considering it's price. Not D3s levels but not bad at all. I'm glad I had a chance to try it out in a semi-professional manner (I mean I wasn't paid, but I did my best).

Also, the lens (28-300) is surprisingly good for a super zoom I've got to say. Sharp and focuses pretty quickly. So far I've stumbled into shooting a wedding with it (on the D3s) and a sports event (on D7000). Both events I didn't intend to do serious photography and both events the 28-300 came through (with help from my awesome skills that is). :whistle:

everybody seems to think primes are the best, but for all round versatility a zoom works for me (24-200 at the mo), that 28-300 is probably the way i will go then my 2nd shooter can use my 24-200 instead of the 24-70, she will also take over the D300.
your skills are quite awsome by the way, i have seen your photos on flickr.

www.dcimages.org.uk

12 years 6 months ago #157515 by icepics
Some nice action portraits, a couple have backgrounds wth some distractions, a different vantage point might have worked better (if it was possible at this venue). For me it's tricky to manually focus on something moving directly towards me, and as you said the camera focused more on the kid's shoe/foreground than the face; I try to get a bit of an angle to the shot sometimes and find that can work (depending with sports on where you can stand).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157577 by Rob pix4u2
good shots Adrian, especially the high jump pix, Bravo !

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 6 months ago #157639 by Scotty

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

LOL thanks man.

everybody seems to think primes are the best, but for all round versatility a zoom works for me (24-200 at the mo), that 28-300 is probably the way i will go then my 2nd shooter can use my 24-200 instead of the 24-70, she will also take over the D300.

He needs to post more, I keep telling him he's good.

D7000 is an impressive camera.

Great shots adrian.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #157640 by Stealthy Ninja

photobod wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

photobod wrote:

LOL thanks man.

Thanks and I agree about zooms. Though if I knew I was gonna take photos I'd have brought my 70-200.

icepics wrote: Some nice action portraits, a couple have backgrounds wth some distractions, a different vantage point might have worked better (if it was possible at this venue). For me it's tricky to manually focus on something moving directly towards me, and as you said the camera focused more on the kid's shoe/foreground than the face; I try to get a bit of an angle to the shot sometimes and find that can work (depending with sports on where you can stand).

This is HK there's always gonna be a "distracting background" ;) This is where a 70-200 would have been better, sticking it at 2.8 would have blurred the backgrounds more. Oh well, it's not that bad... also (and this is JMHO) the backgrounds with kids in them watching are kinda interesting to me. YMMV.

I agree about using a side angle = easier to get focus. I did do some from a side angle, but (IMHO) they're too boring and normal. I wanted the shot no one else got (laying on my belly in the sand). That's how you show yourself as different right?! I can't count the number of times I've been at an event or something where there's a lot of photographers (parents usually). I get myself in position for the best angle/shot I can and then after I finish I see all the other "photographers" copying my angle. LOL

Anyway, here's one of the side shots. Kinda OK I think:

Rob pix4u2 wrote: good shots Adrian, especially the high jump pix, Bravo !

Thanks rob, I can see why you like shooting sports so much. It's pretty darned fun.
Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #157650 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: He needs to post more, I keep telling him he's good.

D7000 is an impressive camera.

Great shots adrian.

Thanks bro, you know I'm my biggest critic I think.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024