Low Light Roller Derby...HELP!

12 years 5 months ago #176014 by Tamgerine
I need some serious advice. I'm not normally a sports shooter, but I recently joined a Roller Derby team and have settled in as their main photographer. Natural light? Sure, great! But the issue is that on Thursday nights we practice in an incredibly dark bar with LOTS of colored changing lights. I don't want to just shove up my ISO and cross my fingers because the quality of light on the skaters is still not very good.

These ones were done with flash with a small softbox diffuser. They came out okay, but the flash makes them look so unnatural because the area is so dark and either pink or blue or orange. There is no true daylight balanced light in there.

So what would you suggest? I've got two speedlights. Should I gel them different colors? Crosslight the skaters?

This is the shot that I want, however it's unsuccessful because they're skating through such a dark area and of course they're going to be blurry if I can't get my shutter speed up. I'd like to light them somehow, but I'd like suggestions.
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #176029 by Rob pix4u2
Can you set up with your lights above the track ? I would use both speedlights most definitely but a best case would be studio type lights and remote triggers for them and light them from above.2) have you got fast glass? you need F2.8 or faster lenses to get as much shutter speed as possible. 3) a good combination of fast glass and ISO of 800-1250 will help to get the action frozen

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #178441 by icepics
I think you did pretty well. The only one that seems problematic is the last one, but that railing is probably an unavoidable distraction from that vantage point.

I'd think about just going with the unusual colors you mentioned, the pink blue and orange; the subject is fun and unique so it seems to work with it. Those bar signs are tough, some just show up hot white but not sure what would help except as they're skating and you're panning to try to catch them a bit away from the signs that are the least effective in the background.

I went to our local roller girls once, they skate at the local arena where we used to have a minor league hockey team play there (and I did photos for their marketing). What worked during a hockey game did NOT work for a roller hockey bout! LOL - same low mercury vapor lighting but they had that turned down and just one light in the middle of the floor and I couldn't use a flash at floor level so it was too dark even from the 'suicide' seats - lucky to be able to see if a skater was sliding your way (I'm kidding, it wasn't quite that bad - but it wasn't great either!).

I did a couple of times take pictures at team events at a local sports bar and used existing light, but with film I often get a nice golden glow in those circumstances; I don't remember now what settings I used. Have gotten a few nice photos of neon signs but haven't tried shooting people much in a bar scene. Seems like you know what you're doing, you'll probably figure out different settings to try etc. I imagine you'll end up with some real nice photos for the team.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #178472 by Stealthy Ninja
Easy solution = Gels or perhaps a Sto-fen colour omni-bounce:

www.stofen.com/store/coloromni.asp

www.lumiquest.com/store/products/LumiQuest-FXtra.html

That'll let you balance out the WB.

Of course the Nikon SB-900 comes with gels that the flash can sense and the WB is automatically adjusted in camera to suit... but let's not talk about Nikon's superior flash system here. :whistle:
12 years 5 months ago #178513 by Joiemagic
I'll defer to everyone else as to the best way to light these scenes...

But, I will say, I like the shots you got. Like the feel of them. Good Job! :judge:

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

12 years 5 months ago #178559 by Baydream
Good job under the lighting conditions.
I tried a 5 minute PP exercise with the first one to see what would happen (Softened the bright spots, shifted the color to a bit warmer and used selective focus). What do you think? Did it help some?
Original

Attachment Rollergirlsorg.jpg not found

5 minute edit

Hope you don't mind.I just wanted to see what the effect would be. I was to watch "Roller Derby" on TV many, many, many years ago. Boy, has it changed.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #179321 by icepics
You guys do like to tinker with your photoshopping...I think the original actually looks better.

With the first one I'd maybe try a bit of a crop - if the top edge was cropped enough to get rid of the blue light and the bottom of the flag etc. that would leave the Yuengling sign and the two white ones that are beer-bottle shaped - which could work in this setting. If the right side was cropped to get rid of the edge of that sign, that could work (since you only see part of that sign it doesn't seem to add much to the photo). Then maybe a bit of a crop of the left side/bottom if needed to balance the image.

I think just a bit of editing is all you need sometimes. I think the angle works in the secone one, cropping the top could be something to play around with to bring the viewer's eye more to the skaters. I love the way you caught the skaters and their personalities, and the bar stools from that perspective actually seem to give the photo some visual interest.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Some bird photography gear is obvious. You need a camera, a lens, and a tripod. But what are the best options in these and other categories of gear? Let’s find out!

May 29, 2024

Having a zoom lens in your bag is like having a jack of all trades. These lenses cover broad focal ranges so you can use one lens for multiple photographic pursuits.

May 28, 2024

Capturing beautiful portraits requires an understanding of compositional techniques (and a lot of other things). In this guide, learn how to master low-angle portrait composition for beautiful results!

May 28, 2024

Tree photography is an interesting genre of landscapes that use the size, shape, and texture of trees as the primary element of interest. With these quick tips, you can master the art of photographing trees!

May 24, 2024

Auto white balance is a camera setting that adjusts the color temperature of your images automatically. It often works well, but you should know a few tips to fix problems it might cause, too.

May 24, 2024

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III might be more than a decade old, but it still has the chops to be a quality camera for photographers in 2024.

May 23, 2024

Starting a photography business can be a daunting task. There is a lot to do, and many mistakes can be made. This guide helps you minimize mistakes and maximize your success!

May 21, 2024

The Canon 6D Mark II might be an older DSLR, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a good option for 2024. In fact, this budget-friendly camera is a powerhouse for stills and videos.

May 21, 2024