To crop or not to crop, that is the question.

7 years 8 months ago #350345 by Angela-M
Should a 'real' photographer have to crop a photo for the right image? What say you? Is this an acceptable process? Actually, how much editing of an original is ok? Feedback highly desirable! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago #350355 by Hassner
It depends on the subject.

Lately I do mostly landscapes. I hardly ever crop. Only when I want to change the format to square or more panoramic, which is less than 1% of the time. I use my viewfinder to crop.

With sport and other action photography there is no time for a perfect crop. If I remember that far back, (film days), I cropped 90% of the shots.

No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela-M

7 years 8 months ago #350383 by Tuscan Muse
If cropping improves the story behind the image, why not?

7 years 8 months ago #350441 by KCook
I always frame slightly wide, to give myself a little wiggle room for fine adjusting the fame later, in post.  Thus I end up cropping ALL of my shots, including landscapes.  Linky -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...you-hear-this-before

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

7 years 8 months ago #350467 by Angela-M
Most of my photos are action photography - my main subject is the horse and they are always moving and they also are usually farther away then my "current" lenses can zoom so...cropping is pretty much always necessary. The only exception is the close-up shot because my camera will do a continous shoot. This means I can just focus and then take lots of shots and pic the best one.

7 years 8 months ago #350469 by Angela-M
Excellent feed back considering the source! :)

7 years 8 months ago #350471 by Angela-M
Thank you Kelly. Good to know. :)

7 years 8 months ago #350657 by boriqua latina
cropping is alright as long as you make the subject stand out perfectly.. depends on the mood of the subject what you want to express to your viewers..

7 years 8 months ago #350669 by garyrhook
I'm going to go with, "why is this an issue?"  Who cares what others do?

Do whatever you need to do to create the image you need to create within whatever constraints are imposed upon you. That includes any type of post processing.

I can't imagine not dealing with every single image I create. Cropping is part of that. And it's wise to shoot with margin and tighten up in post, to avoid mistakes that you can't recover from. Yeah, been there, done that. Lots.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny

7 years 8 months ago #350723 by hghlndr6
Why would you want to adhere to the camera's aspect ratio?  That would really limit how you can use your image.  ALL of my photos get cropped, various ways.

7 years 8 months ago #350725 by Stealthy Ninja
Cropping is evil. So is any ISO over 100. Also shooting without a tripod isn't something a real photographer would do. Also digital is only for mobile phones. Real photographers shoot large format slide film...

No, it's not an issue.

7 years 7 months ago #350803 by Angela-M
Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am learning so much! This is awesome! :)

7 years 7 months ago #350841 by garyrhook

Angela-M wrote: Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am learning so much! This is awesome! :)

That's why we're here.  Snarkiness aside, I think that we all want to help each other out.

Photo Comments

7 years 7 months ago #350919 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: I'm going to go with, "why is this an issue?"  Who cares what others do?

Do whatever you need to do to create the image you need to create within whatever constraints are imposed upon you. That includes any type of post processing.

I can't imagine not dealing with every single image I create. Cropping is part of that. And it's wise to shoot with margin and tighten up in post, to avoid mistakes that you can't recover from. Yeah, been there, done that. Lots.

Gary is 100% correct. It's your vision. Do what you need to do to produce it.

7 years 7 months ago #351437 by photobod
I love Ninjas reply it made me smile, Gary has nailed it, I shoot people (never been caught), I always allow room around the image as clients ask for so many different sizes, so I have to crop for this.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour vs golden hour - which is better for landscapes? It's not so much a case of which is better, but how to use their unique features to create a beautiful shot.

Oct 25, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021

By using the real estate photography technologies outlined in this article, you'll have the firepower you need to create beautiful images and videos of properties.

Oct 20, 2021

Displaying your photos in physical form is a great way to get potential clients interested in your work. Learn how to create a gallery display of your images in this quick guide.

Oct 20, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

Use these simple product photography tips to improve the quality of your photos and create images that make customers want to buy the product.

Oct 19, 2021