To crop or not to crop, that is the question.

8 years 11 months ago #350345 by Angela-M
Should a 'real' photographer have to crop a photo for the right image? What say you? Is this an acceptable process? Actually, how much editing of an original is ok? Feedback highly desirable! :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago #350355 by Hassner
It depends on the subject.

Lately I do mostly landscapes. I hardly ever crop. Only when I want to change the format to square or more panoramic, which is less than 1% of the time. I use my viewfinder to crop.

With sport and other action photography there is no time for a perfect crop. If I remember that far back, (film days), I cropped 90% of the shots.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angela-M

8 years 11 months ago #350383 by Tuscan Muse
If cropping improves the story behind the image, why not?

8 years 11 months ago #350441 by KCook
I always frame slightly wide, to give myself a little wiggle room for fine adjusting the fame later, in post.  Thus I end up cropping ALL of my shots, including landscapes.  Linky -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...you-hear-this-before

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 years 11 months ago #350467 by Angela-M
Most of my photos are action photography - my main subject is the horse and they are always moving and they also are usually farther away then my "current" lenses can zoom so...cropping is pretty much always necessary. The only exception is the close-up shot because my camera will do a continous shoot. This means I can just focus and then take lots of shots and pic the best one.

8 years 11 months ago #350469 by Angela-M
Excellent feed back considering the source! :)

8 years 11 months ago #350471 by Angela-M
Thank you Kelly. Good to know. :)

8 years 11 months ago #350657 by boriqua latina
cropping is alright as long as you make the subject stand out perfectly.. depends on the mood of the subject what you want to express to your viewers..

8 years 11 months ago #350669 by garyrhook
I'm going to go with, "why is this an issue?"  Who cares what others do?

Do whatever you need to do to create the image you need to create within whatever constraints are imposed upon you. That includes any type of post processing.

I can't imagine not dealing with every single image I create. Cropping is part of that. And it's wise to shoot with margin and tighten up in post, to avoid mistakes that you can't recover from. Yeah, been there, done that. Lots.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: rtenny

8 years 11 months ago #350723 by hghlndr6
Why would you want to adhere to the camera's aspect ratio?  That would really limit how you can use your image.  ALL of my photos get cropped, various ways.

8 years 11 months ago #350725 by Stealthy Ninja
Cropping is evil. So is any ISO over 100. Also shooting without a tripod isn't something a real photographer would do. Also digital is only for mobile phones. Real photographers shoot large format slide film...

No, it's not an issue.

8 years 11 months ago #350803 by Angela-M
Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am learning so much! This is awesome! :)

8 years 11 months ago #350841 by garyrhook

Angela-M wrote: Thank you for the fantastic feedback! I am learning so much! This is awesome! :)

That's why we're here.  Snarkiness aside, I think that we all want to help each other out.

Photo Comments

8 years 11 months ago #350919 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: I'm going to go with, "why is this an issue?"  Who cares what others do?

Do whatever you need to do to create the image you need to create within whatever constraints are imposed upon you. That includes any type of post processing.

I can't imagine not dealing with every single image I create. Cropping is part of that. And it's wise to shoot with margin and tighten up in post, to avoid mistakes that you can't recover from. Yeah, been there, done that. Lots.

Gary is 100% correct. It's your vision. Do what you need to do to produce it.

8 years 11 months ago #351437 by photobod
I love Ninjas reply it made me smile, Gary has nailed it, I shoot people (never been caught), I always allow room around the image as clients ask for so many different sizes, so I have to crop for this.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

The Panasonic Lumix GH5 might be nearly six years old, but when it arrived in 2017, it had incredible features, particularly for video. Do those features still hold up? Let’s find out!

Dec 28, 2022

If you’re in the market for a rangefinder camera, there is no better choice than Leica. The Leica M11 is just one model worth considering for your photographic needs.

Dec 08, 2022

In this Nikon D5 vs D850 comparison, we take a look at the specs, features, and capabilities of these cameras so you can decide which one is right for you.

Sep 29, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Ordering custom size photo prints requires a little forethought and some investigation into the best online printing companies. Learn what you need to do in this guide!

Jan 30, 2023

The Canon Rebel T5i is a budget-friendly entry-level DSLR. And while it’s a few years old, it still has excellent capabilities, especially for entry-level and enthusiast photographers.

Jan 30, 2023

Freelance photography jobs are a great way to make income on the side. But they can also lead to building a full-time business that allows you to earn a nice income!

Jan 30, 2023

I've had the f-stop Sukha since 2019, and it's proven to be an ideal solution for carrying lots of gear on extended trips. Is it the right bag for you? Find out!

Jan 25, 2023

With so many photo book styles available from Printique, you can find something that perfectly fits your images for any occasion, whether a wedding, senior portrait, or something in between.

Jan 24, 2023

Whether you’re just starting in photography or you’ve been at it awhile, there is always room to improve your photography workflow. Get tips on that very subject in this guide!

Jan 24, 2023

Not sure what to get your special someone for Valentine’s Day? Get inspired with these awesome photography gifts that look great, are affordable, and are sure to impress!

Jan 24, 2023

If you’re ready to level-up your video-making capabilities and are interested in a Sony cinema camera, use this guide to find the right camera for you and for your budget!

Jan 23, 2023