Ime out of here

13 years 2 months ago #22443 by photobod
It was nice knowing you folks for a while, but due to certain snidey remarks in the bar and grill area, made by 3 people I charmingly think of as the 3 egos, Ime out of here, it was the 2 egos at first but they seem to have recently recruited a 3rd, its a similar thing that happens in clubs when a few individuals who think they are above all others spoil it by trying to be a bit too clever, I noticed a reference by one of the egos to me being like someone and as I thought the other two egos responded, you may have noticed the same guy is busy boosting his own little comp with over 12 posts along with about another 10 posts from his two compadres, I dont want to get into a cat fight with anyone so its best if I just retire gracefully before the atmosphere detiriorates for the rest of you, I think it started with my thread about hijacking, I knew certain people would take it personally, but didnt realise it would result in such low behaviour, its a shame because this is by far the best forum I have ever been a member of, I even like the three egos and respect their abilities within photography, but I am not going to hang around and see things get worse and I certainly am not going to lower myself to there level, so its bye bye from me, I wish the best to you all, have fun, and much respect to Alex, one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

Those of you who are now my friends on facebook, I hope we can remain friends and if anyone else wants to be my friend on there just add me www.facebook.com/photobod

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 2 months ago #22447 by Rob pix4u2
Will miss your wit and humor here as well as your advise and knowledge- pleased to keep up on facebook though. Keep your chin up and hang in there- Rob

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
13 years 2 months ago #22451 by Baydream
Sorry to see you go. I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks, most of the threads have been unrelated to photography and fewer new ones added. The personal "banter" needs a bit of separation from the main subject.
This forum has some great discussions an some that seem to degenerate in "playground" behavior.
The "posting" contest has spawned more "spam" postings than real content. I hope that Alex can determine a way to emphasize the "photography talk" over the just plain "talk".
I'll hang around for a while and see if it improves.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22454 by Rob pix4u2

Baydream wrote: Sorry to see you go. I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks, most of the threads have been unrelated to photography and fewer new ones added. The personal "banter" needs a bit of separation from the main subject.
This forum has some great discussions an some that seem to degenerate in "playground" behavior.
The "posting" contest has spawned more "spam" postings than real content. I hope that Alex can determine a way to emphasize the "photography talk" over the just plain "talk".

:agree: I wholeheartedly concur with the idea that we should be concentrating on photography. I also think the lounge idea of the bar and grill is a more appropriate place for banter. The spam is annoying but shouldn't get personal to the point where someone feels the need to leave the forum. As I said in a post on another subject that "knowledge is power" and some folks weild it in inappropriate ways. So can we all get back to the reason we all came together in the first place ? Just sayin'.....

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #22458 by Karl Wertanen

Rob pix4u2 wrote:

Baydream wrote: Sorry to see you go. I have noticed that in the past couple of weeks, most of the threads have been unrelated to photography and fewer new ones added. The personal "banter" needs a bit of separation from the main subject.

:agree: I wholeheartedly concur with the idea that we should be concentrating on photography. I also think the lounge idea of the bar and grill is a more appropriate place for banter. The spam is annoying but shouldn't get personal to the point where someone feels the need to leave the forum. As I said in a post on another subject that "knowledge is power" and some folks weild it in inappropriate ways. So can we all get back to the reason we all came together in the first place ? Just sayin'.....

:agree:
+3
I dont know what happened in this instance but i have noticed things have been getting a little off track..... It's nice to keep postings topics fun but when they get off track they way i'm beginning to notice, it takes away from the credibility and professionalism of this site/resource.... in turn, i believe it keeps more people on the sidelines just watching rather than participating, or just not coming back at all.
13 years 2 months ago #22460 by Screamin Scott
+4 :agree:

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22465 by Alex
Hi David!

This is the first I'm hearing of this, so I'm doing my due diligence. Over the years I have built many large online sites, one happened to become one of the largest in it world. Where I'm leading with this is that while running a massive site like that, we noticed it can be very challenging to keep everyone happy. However myself and my brother built that company around the same code of ethics and grass roots we grew up with. "Do onto others as they do onto you" and the all time favorite "if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything". Did this work all the time? Not at all, but the site had dramatically less :catfight: :catfight: than our competitor sites. The fact is there are people who will step over the line, some do it with intent to get under your skin, others step over the line, more unintentionally and just got caught up in the banter. From my experience some mild intervention "generational post" that out lines some basic do's and don'ts will calm things down and help define that "line". If further one on one discussion is needed to calm the situation... I have no problem doing.

Getting to the bottom line, there are some personalities that just don't mix. I'm a very optimistic person that looks for the good in every situation and would like to think these personalities are very rare. I have a high opinion of each one of you and feel what ever disagreement or :catfight: that is going on... if I'm notified of it early we can figure out a way to have a understanding of the minds and go relax with a nice tall frosty :cheers: in the bar and grill.

So, having fun in the LOUNGE is permitted. Having a active lounge is important to a site and will inversely simulate activity in other segments of the site. But this off topic activity needs to stay in the lounge and this DOES NOT MEAN ANY SORT OF INTENTIONAL ATTACK'S WILL BE PERMITTED HERE.

I want everyone to be happy so please have a self evaluation, if you stepped over the line, please be conscience of the line and where it's at. This goes for individual's personal "lines" also.

Final notes: My intent here friends is to build photography forum experience unlike others. A forum is like a garden, keep the positive fun flowing information and the site will succeed... Not if, mights or maybe's... it will. The flip side of that example is if no order is set or no "line" is established, negative statements can turn into weeds, think about how that garden looks now?!

You all are appreciated and valued here, so let's work together, as a team.

Thank you for your understanding and much respect to you all!

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #22475 by Baydream
Thanks for your concerns, Alex.
I personally would like to see the Lounge as a separate section of PT. If I'm away for a day, I have to page through to look for photography based posts ("Latest posts" and "latest from the Lounge").
50% of the posts on the first page of latest are Lounge comments.
The Lounge is great for banter but I view this like "working" in an office. There is a place for chatter but it is not during work hours. It is for breaks, lunch and after work (at a Lounge, perhaps). Too much idle chatter at work can get one added to the "unemployment rate" statistic.
After work, I can choose to go into a "Lounge" and chat - or not.

I know "site hits" sell advertisers. The problem is that if they are the wrong kind of hits, the advertiser will figure it out.
I do hope this "situation" resolves itself. I do really like the site.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago - 13 years 2 months ago #22478 by Scotty
Check your PM's/inbox/messages.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22479 by Gammill
I don't know what is going on but, great post Alex! I will sure watch that line :patriot:

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22482 by Scotty
You too alex.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22489 by Alex
Everyone... I'm finishing up a move and will be away from my computers for a few hours... so if I don't respond back immediately... I will when I get back to my computers.

Thanks!

Alex

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22497 by Scotty
I wanna get this straightened out. I honestly think it's a misunderstanding.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 months ago #22500 by Travel Nut
Good post Alex, personally I think the lounge is important part of any site. I think this site has a good sense of direction, I few people need to kiss and make up, nothing to get all worried about. :cheers:

13 years 2 months ago #22503 by Scotty

Travel Nut wrote: Good post Alex, personally I think the lounge is important part of any site. I think this site has a good sense of direction, I few people need to kiss and make up, nothing to get all worried about. :cheers:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024