Was Photography as hard for you?

13 years 3 months ago #23457 by Scotty
Yeah, once you get the basics down, it becomes second nature.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23480 by Zafonia
Im going to try harder to be patient, and take one step at a time. I just really hate the AUTO button and try hard to stay away from it if I can. But will go on AUTO if you guys think thats best... but just for a little bit.
13 years 3 months ago - 13 years 3 months ago #23482 by Baydream
When you are on a stroll through the woods and don't know what to expect, Auto is a good choice, at least to get some kind of shot. Then you can decide what setting you need to get a better shot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23493 by Alex

Scotty wrote: Yeah, once you get the basics down, it becomes second nature.

:agree: but there is always something new to learn! :thumbsup:

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23534 by effron
Slow down and don't have too high of expectations. Coming here with your concerns is just what you should be doing.
I started as a kid, worked for a pro photog a couple years in my early twenties, assist and a lot of processing. (Lab/darkroom)
Pretty good filmer, however when I went digital, there was a new learning curve I wasn't expecting, especially post.
You don't need to go "auto", just use aperture priority and think first. It will come......:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zafonia
13 years 3 months ago #23554 by Scotty

effron wrote: Slow down and don't have too high of expectations. Coming here with your concerns is just what you should be doing.
I started as a kid, worked for a pro photog a couple years in my early twenties, assist and a lot of processing. (Lab/darkroom)
Pretty good filmer, however when I went digital, there was a new learning curve I wasn't expecting, especially post.
You don't need to go "auto", just use aperture priority and think first. It will come......:)

Aperture Priority is one of the best things ever made. :drool:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #23582 by Rob pix4u2
Even starting out young with 120/220 film and then all the years of film the hardest thing I found to learn was shooting action with a Nikon FE2 and manual focus lens. Started shooting pre-focused areas at the rink and as my wife reminded me that a good shoot for me was to get 4 good frames out of a 36 exposure roll back then. I used to read everything i could get my hands on in order to speed up the learning curve. Now I look back on those pix and am amazed at how far the technology and what I learned has come. It's a good suggestion to take a look back to see where you were oh-so-long-ago every once in awhile. Digital is it's own animal vs. film but I'm glad to have had the experiences because it gives me a perspective to grade my evolution from snapshooter to where I am today.

Taken in 2007 Cyclones vs. Trenton Titans

Taken last week Cyclones vs. South Carolina Stingrays

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zafonia
13 years 3 months ago #23683 by crystal

Scotty wrote: Yeah, once you get the basics down, it becomes second nature.

:agree: Didn't take me too long to understand the basics. Now I can't seem to put the camera down. lol
13 years 3 months ago #23684 by crystal

Zafonia wrote: Im going to try harder to be patient, and take one step at a time. I just really hate the AUTO button and try hard to stay away from it if I can. But will go on AUTO if you guys think thats best... but just for a little bit.

Actually, I do not think Auto is best. I think it's worse. IMO, if you bought a DSLR, then take it off auto. There are times you may need auto, because you just can not get the correct exposure and you need a quick shot. (not that auto will always give you that correct exposure, but it's better then nothing) But you bought a DSLR, learn it. Otherwise, IMO go back to a P&S.
13 years 3 months ago #23685 by crystal

Baydream wrote: When you are on a stroll through the woods and don't know what to except, Auto is a good choice, at least to get some kind of shot. Then you can decide what setting you need to get a better shot.

:agree:
13 years 3 months ago #23686 by crystal

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote: Slow down and don't have too high of expectations. Coming here with your concerns is just what you should be doing.

Aperture Priority is one of the best things ever made. :drool:

:agree:
13 years 3 months ago #23891 by Zafonia
Thank you guys so much for posting on this thread. It helps me knowing im not the only one that has had problems starting out. :)
13 years 3 months ago #23954 by MelissaAbbey
I don't know how hard and confusing it was for you but it was a new adventure for me. There are always mountains to scale with new ideas and the addition of lighting after finally getting a decent grasp of shooting in shutter/aperture and manual modes. Either way, I have fails and I have successes and with every one of them, I learn something new! Have fun with it!

13 years 3 months ago #23958 by cbbr1000
Don't beat yourself up ever....each person learns from their passion. I never took a class took , I worked for a photographer 30 years ago and I took a class in high school...I don't care about f stops and I shoot by emotions...and I teach my students the same... maybe I'm crazy...but I also make money...I'm in demand and I'm shooting a bike event Saturday..my advice if you love what you do you'd do it no matter what and keep doing it till you got it not right but perfect...sometime it takes years..but for me it only to 6 months...I wish each of you the best of luck in your field...

13 years 3 months ago #23964 by kimmyee
I found the instruction manuals confusing until I practiced enough that some of it started to make sense. Now I'm into underwater photography and it's so much fun - even learning is fun!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024