How to treat people

13 years 1 month ago #38471 by Baydream
My brother send these along:

First Important Lesson - Cleaning Lady.

During my second month of college, our professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student And had breezed through the questions until I read The last one:

"What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?"
Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50's, but how would I know her name?

I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Just before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade.
"Absolutely, " said the professor.. "In your careers, you will meet many people. All are significant.. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say "hello.."

I've never forgotten that lesson.. I also learned her name was Dorothy.

Second Important Lesson - Always remember those who serve.

In the days when an ice cream sundae cost much less, a 10-year-old boy entered a hotel coffee shop and sat at a table. A waitress put a glass of water in front of him. "How much is an ice cream sundae?" he asked.

Fifty cents," replied the waitress.

The little boy pulled his hand out of his pocket and studied the coins in it.
"Well, how much is a plain dish of ice cream?" he inquired.
By now more people were waiting for a table and the waitress was growing impatient..

"Thirty-five cents," she brusquely replied.

The little boy again counted his coins.
"I'll have the plain ice cream," he said.
The waitress brought the ice cream, put the bill on the table and walked away The boy finished the ice cream, paid the cashier and left.. When the waitress came back, she began to cry as she wiped down the table. There, placed neatly beside the empty dish, were two nickels and five pennies.

You see, he couldn't have the sundae, because he had to have enough left to leave her a tip.

Be gentle.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #38630 by johnm
Wonderful, wonderful message that many should take to heart. In my 86 years, I have noticed a marked decline in the respect and consideration we show for our fellow man. These days it's all about "me." What can you do for ME?

Customer service is nearly a thing of the past. People actually laugh at you when you complain about it. There's no such thing - at least in our neighborhood - as block parties, people watching your house when you go on vacation or even kids of the neighborhood knowing it's safe to go to anyone's door close by if they're hurt or scared.

I'll take the any decade up to 1960 over anything since.

13 years 1 month ago #38642 by Baydream

johnm wrote: Wonderful, wonderful message that many should take to heart. In my 86 years, I have noticed a marked decline in the respect and consideration we show for our fellow man. These days it's all about "me." What can you do for ME?

Customer service is nearly a thing of the past. People actually laugh at you when you complain about it. There's no such thing - at least in our neighborhood - as block parties, people watching your house when you go on vacation or even kids of the neighborhood knowing it's safe to go to anyone's door close by if they're hurt or scared.

I'll take the any decade up to 1960 over anything since.

I agree. The time I spend in Nova Scotia feels very much like the "old days". Except near the big cities (like Halifax), you can count on people saying hello, holding doors, saying thank you. A whole different world.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #38738 by Stealthy Ninja
In Australia we don't tip* .

So we'd all get sundaes! YEAH!
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #39425 by loki
When my father bought me my first cowboy hat, I remember him saying "Son, a gentleman always tips his hat to a lady. And every woman you meet is a lady." It's a lesson I learned early and a habit I still maintain today. Usually accompanied by a simple, "Ma'am" as a greeting.

13 years 1 month ago #39485 by Stealthy Ninja

loki wrote: When my father bought me my first cowboy hat, I remember him saying "Son, a gentleman always tips his hat to a lady. And every woman you meet is a lady." It's a lesson I learned early and a habit I still maintina today. Usually accompanied by a simple, "Ma'am" as a greeting.

I do the same thing with my ninja hood.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024