Ansel Adams photos found at garage sale worth $200 million

13 years 4 months ago #9337 by Todd Phillips
Just found this article and just amazed. Makes you want to go through all the old stuff collected over the years! Perhaps that is just to much wishful thinking ha ha ha.

"Rick Norsigian kept two boxes he bought at a garage sale under his pool table for four years before realizing they may be too valuable to store at home.

The Fresno, California, commercial painter learned this week that what was in those boxes he paid $45 dollars for a decade ago could be worth more than $200 million.

"When I heard that $200 million, I got a little weak," Norsigian said at a Beverly Hills art gallery Tuesday.

Art, forensic, handwriting and weather experts teamed up to conclude the 65 glass plates in the boxes were photographic negatives created more than 80 years ago by Ansel Adams, the iconic American photographer whose images of the West inspired the country."

So they said these were worth $200 million, did the guy end up getting that much?

13 years 4 months ago #9348 by bhowdy
My undersatanding is that none of the plates have been sold or gone to auction yet. The gentleman has spent a ton of money getting the plates certified as true Ansel Adams ... including battling with Adams living relatives about the authenticity.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #9350 by KenMan
I bet the person that sold him that stuff is kicking themselves!

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9361 by Scotty
This story broke awhile ago, and they aren't legit.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9365 by Screamin Scott
This was out several months back & most of the photo forums bantered back & forth as to the worth of the negatives. Personally, I wouldn't place the worth that high as Ansel was a master of manipulation in the darkroom & these are just the negatives which ,of course, have no manipulation applied. They are just like any other large format photographers negatives,

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9379 by Scotty

Screamin Scott wrote: This was out several months back & most of the photo forums bantered back & forth as to the worth of the negatives. Personally, I wouldn't place the worth that high as Ansel was a master of manipulation in the darkroom & these are just the negatives which ,of course, have no manipulation applied. They are just like any other large format photographers negatives,

They also were declared fakes. The signatures didn't add up.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9388 by Ziggy

Scotty wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: This was out several months back & most of the photo forums bantered back & forth as to the worth of the negatives. Personally, I wouldn't place the worth that high as Ansel was a master of manipulation in the darkroom & these are just the negatives which ,of course, have no manipulation applied. They are just like any other large format photographers negatives,

Amazing how things can spread so quickly online. Man imagine that $200 million! :woohoo:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9393 by Scotty

Ziggy wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Amazing how things can spread so quickly online. Man imagine that $200 million! :woohoo:

Almost like that chinese vase found in an attic of detroit, that went for 86 million at auction.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #9424 by Richard K Photography

Scotty wrote:

Ziggy wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Almost like that chinese vase found in an attic of detroit, that went for 86 million at auction.

WHAT??? Really??

Or is this one of those rumors that get spread over the net?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9426 by Scotty

Richard K Photography wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Ziggy wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Almost like that chinese vase found in an attic of detroit, that went for 86 million at
auction.

WHAT??? Really??

Or is this one of those rumors that get spread over the net?

www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/Seller...f/3823761/story.html

I thought it was in detroit, guess I was wrong. Was on the detroit news though.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #9443 by Yasko
I doubt authentic Ansel Adams plates would be worth so much, but no doubt it would be ALOT!

I wonder how much an Edward Curtis or Darius Kinsey plate would be appraised at. Wouldn't mind finding one of those at a yard sale :cheer:

13 years 4 months ago #9462 by Mah and PaH
I don't think I would know what to do with that sort of money.

However I'm sure I would figure it out nicely :woohoo:

13 years 4 months ago #9479 by bhowdy

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

13 years 4 months ago #9521 by Scotty

bhowdy wrote: Here's some of the latest news on the garage sale plates

The Lost Ansel Adams Negatives

A.D. Coleman - Photocritic International

Another Legal Twist in Ansel Adams Case

The story gets more and more interesting as time goes by.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #9936 by Homer

Scotty wrote:

bhowdy wrote: Here's some of the latest news on the garage sale plates

The Lost Ansel Adams Negatives

A.D. Coleman - Photocritic International

Another Legal Twist in Ansel Adams Case

The story gets more and more interesting as time goes by.

Indeed!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024