Dart vs Water Balloon (Balloon Loses)

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #121663 by The Time Capturer
I saw Shaikhemran's thread, Balloon Blast , where he popped water balloons with a pin, and it inspired me to try it myself. Instead of poking them with a pin, I decided to throw darts at them.

The setup:

I hung the balloons with a coat hanger pierced through their tips. I placed the camera (Canon XSi) on a tripod, horizontally parallel to the balloons, about three feet away. The flash was handheld and fired manually. I hung a black backdrop from the rafters behind the balloon.

The exposures:

For this, I used my 18-55mm lens and set the camera in manual mode, ISO 100, F4, and 8 second shutter. During the process, the garage was near total darkness and the flash was on its lowest power setting.

The technique:

I couldn't use my remote for these shots because I needed both hands free (which is why I chose the 8 second exposure instead of bulb). Holding the flash in my left hand, I'd press the shutter release with my right then grab a dart and toss it at the balloon. When I figured the dart had reached the balloon, I'd fire the flash. I could see instantly whether or not I had captured "the moment" and the eight second exposure was more than adequate for this entire process. A miner-style head lamp came in handy between attempts to gather up the darts and change balloons when necessary.

The problems:

First of all, actually hitting the balloon in the dark was no easy task. Even when I did actually manage to make contact, the cheap darts (with worn out tips) seemed to prefer bouncing off the balloons instead of popping them. Patience and persistence...

The result:

Out of 13 balloons, I managed to get seven good shots over a two hour period. My favourites are below.

Tips:

If you are going to try this, use light-coloured balloons ... they are easier to see in the dark. Also, be prepared for a major clean up afterward...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: avonmill, Rick Regimbald, scb222
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #121664 by photobod
You have a good imagination to come up with this and it works, well done :judge: :judge:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #121670 by chasrich
I just love these shots. Really good job on the set up and the tips you provided. The photos are eye popping. :judge: :judge:

Alex, you have a good promo waiting here... :owned:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #121672 by Rob pix4u2
awesome shoots and nice technique- thanks for sharing these, they are wonderful

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #121682 by The Time Capturer
Thanks everyone, but don't forget, it was originally Shaikhemran's idea...

Sure, practice makes perfect but, unless you learn from your mistakes, you are only perfecting your ability to fail.
12 years 8 months ago #121694 by The Time Capturer
As fun as this was, it took a lot of patience ... and time. Don't forget, there's the cleanup I have to do today as well.

The majority of shots came out like these:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: avonmill
12 years 8 months ago #121748 by Dori
Wonderful shots! You did a very good job with these!! :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #121757 by PhotographyTalk
Excellent job! Just pushed this article out though our FB and Twitter for everyone to see... keep up the work and thanks for sharing.

Alex

The following user(s) said Thank You: chasrich
12 years 8 months ago #121758 by MLKstudios
I like the failures best. They have more antici---. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #121774 by DestinDave
Nice series - pops and non-pops both.. I'm afraid I would never hit the balloons much less get the timing close...
:judge: :judge:

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 8 months ago #121832 by The Time Capturer
Thanks again everyone ... and thanks Alex. :thumbsup:

12 years 8 months ago #121835 by butterflygirl921
i love the photos and thats a really cool idea

12 years 8 months ago #122183 by mani_40431
Pics are just wonderful.........:goodpost:

12 years 8 months ago #122808 by chstyer
This is a good example of my saying that the photographer's most important equipment is located between his ears. When I first saw these photos, I wondered if specialized equipment was used. Not at all! The photographer used his brain and equipment at hand to produce stunning shots. Key, I think, was using low power on the flash so that it produced a very short flash, thus capturing the action. Bravo! Well done!

12 years 8 months ago #122809 by The Time Capturer
Thanks Charles. I share your belief about the equipment. The backdrop, by the way, is a car "back seat cover" for dogs that I picked up at the dollar store.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024