Photographing reflective surfaces

3 years 7 months ago #704324 by Esseff
I am thinking of taking photos of my guitars. However the bodies and headstocks all have high gloss finish so chances are I will be seeing the camera and whatevers on the other side of the room. I won't using a flash as I have separate lighting but I reckon there will be lot going on that I don't want to see.

Any tips on how to beat this?

3 years 7 months ago #704326 by Nikon Shooter
Don't worry! Just remember that the angle of incidence
will produce the same angle of reflectance.

We shall strum a few bars together… Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #704348 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

As crazy as it may seem, try using a polarising flter as well

Set up your camera & lighting onto the subject/s and hold the CPL in your fingers and rotate it while looking thru to the subject. There are times when the CPL will dull-down those reflections. It certainly works with glass / windows etc, but not on motorcar paintwork (different sort of reflective materials)

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 7 months ago #704352 by db3348
SF,

In addition to Phil's suggestion of CPL filter ,  try experimenting with the angle and positioning of the lights . 
Look for  an angle/position  to put camera  so  you & camera are not in the area  being illuminated by the lights .  That way there's less chance  your reflection and camera's reflection  won't be so visible .  And cover up anything that's pale/light-coloured  with some dark material ,  if possible .
Maybe even shield  yourself & camera from the lights with something dark .

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024