To get better definition

3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #709979 by cowboyup3371
The waterfall picture I took this morning and posted earlier had some really nice icicles hanging from the rock ledge.  Since I couldn't really get to the front very easily without risking slipping down the riverbank, I grabbed my 55-200mm f4-5.6 zoom lens for a close up shot.  However, I couldn't get the definition in the ice that I really wanted even with post-processing.

I think one reason might have been my failure to zoom in further than I did (98mm) but I also didn't want to lose the perspective from the rest of the scene.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do differently next time?

Attachments:
3 years 2 months ago #709987 by Nikon Shooter

cowboyup3371 wrote: … I think one reason might have been my failure to zoom in further than I did (98mm)… 

A higher end gear would better capture the available details given
the light conditions but the problem was not there.

The subject has a higher indexes of transparency and reflectance,
both coming with + and - in terms of recording quality. Here, I think
that specular light — read sparkles — are missing in regard to the
reflectance, the level — read quantity — was not sufficient, and the
penetration — read angle of incidence — did not pull out the trans-
parency feature of the subject. In one short answer? DR expression.

The trap here is your brain!!! If I say diamond, your brain "sees" the
properties of it, and that's nice for poetry for example but waaay not
enough for a picture — the shine, sparkles, and transparency should
all be there.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #709988 by Nikon Shooter

Example.

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #710388 by cowboyup3371
Would you say this one was better?  From today at First Creek Falls; I left the background darker on purpose to make the ice stand out better

Attachments:
3 years 2 months ago #710389 by Nikon Shooter
You did some progress already:
WB is ok,
Transparency and reflectance are ok too.

However…
The focus point and DoF are not adequate. 
The specular highlights are absent.

Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago - 3 years 2 months ago #710390 by cowboyup3371
Well, I think this highlights some major differences in my pictures then.

First, the top photos were taken around noon time. I changed the white balance in Lightroom only from AS SHOT to a custom cooler setting to match the weather that day because we had a snowstorm coming in. In fact, it started snowing shortly after I took them. I will admit that was probably too much and something I chose not to do today.

Today's photos were taken around 3pm on a sunny day and few clouds in the sky. I left the white balance settings to as shot, did not touch any of the saturation or luminescence sliders, and only slight changes to the others. However, I was also standing on a frozen creek so I was in more of a hurry to get my shot and leave before anything happened to me. Maybe I'll have to find my fly fishing waders and have them on for next time just in case ;)

Thank you and I appreciate the words. I will need to do some further reading into what you brought up about specular highlights since I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

3 years 2 weeks ago #714429 by fmw
I think we sometimes lose sight of the fact that we are capturing light and the quality of the light has the single largest effect on the image.  Different times of day, different camera locations, different kinds of light can all affect how the image comes across.  Sometimes it takes several trips to the subject at different times and in different light to get what we want.

As an example, I have made several trips to Death Valley.  I have dreamed being able to catch some images while it is raining.  So far so bad.  Maybe one day.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024