To get better definition

1 week 5 days ago - 1 week 5 days ago #709979 by cowboyup3371
The waterfall picture I took this morning and posted earlier had some really nice icicles hanging from the rock ledge.  Since I couldn't really get to the front very easily without risking slipping down the riverbank, I grabbed my 55-200mm f4-5.6 zoom lens for a close up shot.  However, I couldn't get the definition in the ice that I really wanted even with post-processing.

I think one reason might have been my failure to zoom in further than I did (98mm) but I also didn't want to lose the perspective from the rest of the scene.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do differently next time?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 4 days ago #709987 by Nikon Shooter

cowboyup3371 wrote: … I think one reason might have been my failure to zoom in further than I did (98mm)… 

A higher end gear would better capture the available details given
the light conditions but the problem was not there.

The subject has a higher indexes of transparency and reflectance,
both coming with + and - in terms of recording quality. Here, I think
that specular light — read sparkles — are missing in regard to the
reflectance, the level — read quantity — was not sufficient, and the
penetration — read angle of incidence — did not pull out the trans-
parency feature of the subject. In one short answer? DR expression.

The trap here is your brain!!! If I say diamond, your brain "sees" the
properties of it, and that's nice for poetry for example but waaay not
enough for a picture — the shine, sparkles, and transparency should
all be there.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 week 4 days ago #709988 by Nikon Shooter

Example.

Photo Comments

1 week 1 hour ago #710388 by cowboyup3371
Would you say this one was better?  From today at First Creek Falls; I left the background darker on purpose to make the ice stand out better

Attachments:

6 days 23 hours ago #710389 by Nikon Shooter
You did some progress already:
WB is ok,
Transparency and reflectance are ok too.

However…
The focus point and DoF are not adequate. 
The specular highlights are absent.

Photo Comments

6 days 21 hours ago - 6 days 21 hours ago #710390 by cowboyup3371
Well, I think this highlights some major differences in my pictures then.

First, the top photos were taken around noon time. I changed the white balance in Lightroom only from AS SHOT to a custom cooler setting to match the weather that day because we had a snowstorm coming in. In fact, it started snowing shortly after I took them. I will admit that was probably too much and something I chose not to do today.

Today's photos were taken around 3pm on a sunny day and few clouds in the sky. I left the white balance settings to as shot, did not touch any of the saturation or luminescence sliders, and only slight changes to the others. However, I was also standing on a frozen creek so I was in more of a hurry to get my shot and leave before anything happened to me. Maybe I'll have to find my fly fishing waders and have them on for next time just in case ;)

Thank you and I appreciate the words. I will need to do some further reading into what you brought up about specular highlights since I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021

In this Nikon Z7 II review learn how this new camera is similar to the original Z7 and how it makes improvements upon the original.

Feb 16, 2021

The Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III is a highly capable, video-first bridge camera. The question is, is it right for you? Get all the details in this Sony Cybershot DSC-RX10 III review!

Feb 12, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Which monitor panel types should you invest in? In this monitor buying guide, learn a few tips for getting the best monitor for photo editing.

Feb 23, 2021

Marketing for photography businesses can take up a ton of time, so you want to do it right and do so without taking up your entire day. Use these beginner marketing tips to help point you in the right direction.

Feb 23, 2021

If a photography tripod is too cumbersome for you, you can learn how to stabilize a camera with any number of tripod substitutes.

Feb 22, 2021

Use this real estate photography gear list to learn about some of the most critical pieces of kit you need to take the highest-quality real estate photos.

Feb 22, 2021

If you aren't sure how to get feedback from clients, check out these simple solutions for your photography business.

Feb 19, 2021

The Ricoh GR III is a little-known compact camera that might be just the ticket for you if you want a small, portable, and easy-to-use camera.

Feb 19, 2021

Drop shipping your printed photos can save you time and money. But there are cons to consider as well. Get all the details in this guide to drop shipping for photography businesses.

Feb 19, 2021

The Sony a7S III is a video-first full frame camera with a hefty price tag. Is it worth the price of admission? Get all the details in this Sony a7S III review.

Feb 18, 2021