Tips for photographing tonight's "Super Moon"

13 years 1 month ago #37401 by Baydream
My club in Canada sent this advice along.

"I remind you that when you are photographing the moon, you are really photographing reflected sunlight and therefore you need to manually set your camera with daytime settings.
If you don't, the moon will simply appear as bright disc when you photograph it. If you want to record the surface detail of the moon, you will need to remember the "sunny 16" rule.
This rule tells us that on a bright, sunny day, we can achieve a correct exposure by setting the camera to f16 and the shutter speed to the inverse of the ISO setting. So at an ISO
setting of 200, the following combinations should give you correct exposures for the moon.

f 5.6 - 1/1600s, f 8 -1/800s, f11 - 1/400s, f 16 - 1/200s, f 22 - 1/100s"

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37405 by Karl Wertanen
Is this for close ups? or does this rule work when you are shooting a night time landscape where the moon is just a small part of the picture?
13 years 1 month ago #37411 by Screamin Scott
The moon itself will be properly exposed using these settings, any other subject matter in the frame will likely be underexposed (but silhouettes are interesting in the frame)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37442 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote: The moon itself will be properly exposed using these settings, any other subject matter in the frame will likely be underexposed (but silhouettes are interesting in the frame)

:goodpost:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37444 by Photo Junky
What am I missing? What is going on with the moon tonight that is different from other nights?

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37447 by Alex
Good tip, although I think we are expecting rain on and off from today till Monday. So I don't think we will see anything but clouds for me :(

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37448 by Screamin Scott

Photo Junky wrote: What am I missing? What is going on with the moon tonight that is different from other nights?

Here's an article about it...
news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110318/sc_space...soccurssaturdaynight

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37449 by Yasko
It's happening tonight? I thought it was supposed to be last night, but it didn't seem any different, so I guess not.

13 years 1 month ago #37450 by Yasko

Karl Wertanen wrote: Is this for close ups? or does this rule work when you are shooting a night time landscape where the moon is just a small part of the picture?

Karl, this may be an interesting thing to try for your waterfalls. I'd do it, but we got no falls here. I have tried this on beach shots though. Shooting them in full moon light at night gives you a shutter speed of minutes, and the picture looks similar to shooting on a light overcast day. Imagine what that'll do for your water :woohoo:

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37452 by Karl Wertanen

Yasko wrote:

Karl Wertanen wrote: Is this for close ups? or does this rule work when you are shooting a night time landscape where the moon is just a small part of the picture?

Karl, this may be an interesting thing to try for your waterfalls. I'd do it, but we got no falls here. I have tried this on beach shots though. Shooting them in full moon light at night gives you a shutter speed of minutes, and the picture looks similar to shooting on a light overcast day. Imagine what that'll do for your water :woohoo:

HA! I'd love too but the nearest waterfall for me is about 6.5 hours away! :silly:
Great idea though! Thanks! Next time i'm near one and theres a full moon, I'll try that!! Good idea :goodpost:
I'm going to try shooting at Elizabeth Park (one of my galleries... the one w/the old bridges) and see how they come out
13 years 1 month ago #37453 by Alex
I'm crossing fingers clouds will disappear for us in California!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37467 by McBeth Photography

Baydream wrote: My club in Canada sent this advice along.

"I remind you that when you are photographing the moon, you are really photographing reflected sunlight and therefore you need to manually set your camera with daytime settings.
If you don't, the moon will simply appear as bright disc when you photograph it. If you want to record the surface detail of the moon, you will need to remember the "sunny 16" rule.
This rule tells us that on a bright, sunny day, we can achieve a correct exposure by setting the camera to f16 and the shutter speed to the inverse of the ISO setting. So at an ISO
setting of 200, the following combinations should give you correct exposures for the moon.

f 5.6 - 1/1600s, f 8 -1/800s, f11 - 1/400s, f 16 - 1/200s, f 22 - 1/100s"

I agree with you that exposure is according to the "Sunny 16" rule, but this is a situaton that I would definitely use bracketing.

I have found that sometimes the Exposure Value for the moon is closer to 14 than 15 with a long lens, @200 ISO and f16 you would then have a 1/100 sec. shutter speed.

Just saying that bracketing is a good idea here.

It is what it is.
13 years 1 month ago #37468 by Photo Junky

Screamin Scott wrote:

Photo Junky wrote: What am I missing? What is going on with the moon tonight that is different from other nights?

Here's an article about it...
news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110318/sc_space...soccurssaturdaynight

Thank you!

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37523 by alley
I always feel like such a pain asking questions but since a moon hasn't come along like this for 18 years can someone please talk in beginner terms about what the settings should be. Are you talking about being in manual mode? thanks

13 years 1 month ago #37524 by Baydream

alley wrote: I always feel like such a pain asking questions but since a moon hasn't come along like this for 18 years can someone please talk in beginner terms about what the settings should be. Are you talking about being in manual mode? thanks

That is the suggestion. Also watch the 3 videos PT posted on another thread. All had good advice.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024