Tips for photographing tonight's "Super Moon"

13 years 1 month ago #37531 by alley
Thanks again, you're the best...

13 years 1 month ago #37550 by Screamin Scott
Here's a shot of the "Super Moon" thru some pine trees...When the moon is low on the horizon like this, the above rule needs modification (more exposure)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37558 by Moe

Screamin Scott wrote: Here's a shot of the "Super Moon" thru some pine trees...When the moon is low on the horizon like this, the above rule needs modification (more exposure)

What len did you use on this? :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37560 by alley

Screamin Scott wrote: Here's a shot of the "Super Moon" thru some pine trees...When the moon is low on the horizon like this, the above rule needs modification (more exposure)

this is a beautiful shot. :judge:

13 years 1 month ago #37563 by Screamin Scott

Moe wrote:

Would you believe it was a lens from the late 70's...It's a Vivitar 300mm F5.5 with a TX/T4 mount...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37566 by chasrich
I got home to late to shoot the moon low on the horizon... I suppose I could add some foreground. Naw!

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37567 by chasrich

Yasko wrote: It's happening tonight? I thought it was supposed to be last night, but it didn't seem any different, so I guess not.

I happened at 3PM this afternoon... Unfortunately I missed my flight to Japan. I hear there is too much glow from the radiation to get a good night shot. (Forgive the gallows humor, it's my knee jerk reaction to any disaster)

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 1 month ago #37568 by Baydream

Screamin Scott wrote:

Moe wrote:

Would you believe it was a lens from the late 70's...It's a Vivitar 300mm F5.5 with a TX/T4 mount...

That's cool. I tried an old, cheap Quantaray 500/100 f/8-16 but there was a slight haze coming in. The shot was fun to try anyway.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago #37569 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: I got home to late to shoot the moon low on the horizon... I suppose I could add some foreground. Naw!

:drool: Good shot

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37570 by chasrich
Cloud cover will kill the shot every time... not real clouds (DUH) even the lightest of haze or clouds. The chance of something getting in the way while the shot is low to the horizon increases because of the amount of air the light must pass through. Overhead is better... mountain top is better still. Deep Space is the best of course. I just can't find a lens that long... :rofl:

13 years 1 month ago #37576 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: Cloud cover will kill the shot every time... not real clouds (DUH) even the lightest of haze or clouds. The chance of something getting in the way while the shot is low to the horizon increases because of the amount of air the light must pass through. Overhead is better... mountain top is better still. Deep Space is the best of course. I just can't find a lens that long... :rofl:

And the commute is a killer.
Also took my lightweight Celestron telescope out (the tripod on this one wouldn't hold a P&S steady) but got it set an took a shot through the eyepiece with my Panasonic P&S handheld.

All thing considered .....

Photo Comments
Attachments:
13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37578 by chasrich
That blue ring on the right edge can be eliminated by going to grey scale... My rim was green along the bottom on my shot. I think it is something like the light sabers having different colors... :rofl:

I also adjusted the brightness and contrast to the point that I most likely went too far. Your shot looks better than mine did before I tweaked it. :thumbsup:

13 years 1 month ago #37579 by Baydream

chasrich wrote: That blue ring on the right edge can be eliminated by going to grey scale... My rim was green along the bottom on my shot. I think it is something like the light sabers having different colors... :rofl:

I also adjusted the brightness and contrast to the point that I most likely went too far. You shot looks better than mine did before I tweaked it. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I didn't play with that one at all. I was amazed that with the weak tripod and holding the camera to the eyepiece that I got anything at all. My light sabre is orange so I can use it to direct traffic when not in a fight. :duel:

Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #37580 by chasrich
I like white for parking airplanes and opening cans of soup. :duel:

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #37582 by Yasko

Screamin Scott wrote:

Moe wrote:

Awsome! I just shot it from the porch with an oldy too. A screw mount Pentax 400mm f5.6 SMC takumar, with a 1.4x kenko teleconverter. I had to take out some CA in photoshop (lens isn't an APO design), but stopped down it's one sharp cookie :woohoo: I believe they made it in the early to mid seventies.

Everyone, if you're wondering, a good setting to use for a full moon that's high in the sky is ISO 100, f8.0, 1/200 shutterspeed.

Here's mine:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024