Photography Tip: Aperture Values with Mark Wallace

8 years 8 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #50212 by PhotographyTalk
So in this episode Mark Wallace explains some useful things about your lenses aperture and why f/2.8 is a large aperture opening and f/22 is a small aperture opening. Mark also discusses the meanings of the numbers on many lenses. If you are just getting started in photography, or don't have a 100% understanding of how aperture works. This is a must watch.

Enjoy:
Nikon D600 | Nikon D7100 | Nikon D800 | Canon 5D Mark III | Canon EOS-1D X

Recommended Reading:

The following user(s) said Thank You: maanik, Lopezjose7, chakkaradeep, Adivery, sree2472, Kronisk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #50241 by Jordan Younce Photography
Great Tip! Thank you for posting!

8 years 8 months ago #50592 by Silver Fox
This would have been a great tip when I was first getting started :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: orourke_kelly

8 years 3 months ago #148108 by RAvellone
New to this website, I am also relearning photography from back in my college days shooting film. Could you do a seg. on depth of field or if you have one, shoot me the tag so I may watch it. Thanks for this one though, it brought back alot of what I had forgotten.

8 years 2 months ago #162256 by KevinA65
:agree: Silver Fox, Thank you Mark, another fantastic posting

7 years 11 months ago #200849 by Kronisk
I have heard people trying to explain aperture to me a number of times without success. This is the first explanation I have heard that actually conveys what the setting means and what I really need to know in order to understand. I will be watching this again and again until I have the details committed to memory.

7 years 11 months ago #200868 by farhadali
hi , this is very nice

Thanks,

7 years 11 months ago #200897 by Martha
Yeap this is a keeper :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #201043 by Baydream
This is great!
But the math :sick: Ask Jimmy Buffett.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

7 years 11 months ago #201215 by Kronisk

Baydream wrote: This is great!
But the math :sick: Ask Jimmy Buffett.

I am with you on that one. Today's oldies whinge and moan about "trendy" teaching methods, but I can tell you this much: at least today's teachers acknowledge that not everyone in their class is going to be or aspires to be a theoretical physicist.

And honestly, the math used in this vid at was at least explained in a manner that was followable and used the right props to make all types understand. Total contrast from the "x times y is what?" over and over method that the oldies mentioned above think everyone should be subjected to.

7 years 8 months ago #226446 by markwallace
I'm so glad this video was helpful to you all. Understanding the aperture is a key to photography!

7 years 7 months ago #232882 by sneharathod
Great job...

6 years 9 months ago #278755 by Marte
That is such a simple and refreshing explanation!!
Yup , agree with some of the folks here , I would have given anything for this when I was starting instead of all the crude math behind it.
Enjoyed it a lot THANX!!!

6 years 9 months ago #279786 by Kristy Blake

Silver Fox wrote: This would have been a great tip when I was first getting started :thumbsup:

Me too :thumbsup:

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With options for just about every budget, this list of the best microphones of 2020 has something for everyone and just about every purpose.

Jan 24, 2020

Buying a used DSLR can be an adventure if you don't know what to look for or where to buy from. Use these tips for buying a used DSLR to get the best deal and the best quality camera possible.

Jan 23, 2020

Using a drone for B-roll is an excellent option for getting interesting footage that enhances your videos. Get a few tips for shooting B-roll with a drone in this tutorial.

Jan 23, 2020

The best backdrops can make your portraits shine with beautiful colors and textures that add interest to the shot. But what are the best photography backdrops? Consult this list to find out!

Jan 22, 2020

There are all types of graduated ND filters, each of which offers specific benefits for your landscape photography. Find out the benefits of these filters in this guide!

Jan 22, 2020

If you're in the market for an inexpensive full frame camera this year, look no further than this list of some cheap full frame mirrorless and DSLR options.

Jan 20, 2020

What photography gear upgrades are you planning for 2020? As you update your kit, bear these essential photography accessories in mind.

Jan 20, 2020

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020