Excellent Article on Live View

12 years 11 months ago #75509 by Baydream
Again Jeff Claypoole of my Camera Club in Virginia has prepared another excellent article, this time on Live View Focusing. The link is to out monthly newsletter. The article starts on page 9.
www.cameraclubofrichmond.com/Newsletter/...thern%20Exposure.pdf

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75561 by photobod

Baydream wrote: Again Jeff Claypoole of my Camera Club in Virginia has prepared another excellent article, this time on Live View Focusing. The link is to out monthly newsletter. The article starts on page 9.

Have tried viewing but it brings up a blank white screen every time I try ??????

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 11 months ago #75579 by Baydream

photobod wrote:

Baydream wrote: Again Jeff Claypoole of my Camera Club in Virginia has prepared another excellent article, this time on Live View Focusing. The link is to out monthly newsletter. The article starts on page 9.

Have tried viewing but it brings up a blank white screen every time I try ??????

Guess we'll have to get there the old fashioned way.
www.cameraclubofrichmond.com Click on Newsletters, then select current.

Well It appears they are doing some work on the site over the long US holiday weekend. It is a pdf and takes about a minute to load. I was able to use the link (but it took a while to load).
Please try again and let me know if it works for you. The base site is pretty good on it's own.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75605 by chasrich
Reprinted without permission but I'm sure I am forgiven...

Focusing Using Live View
Tack sharp focus, we've all marveled at the optical clarity of photos seen in magazines. It's amazing how every
detail is perfectly recorded. Autofocus has made the life of photographers much easier. Especially, as our eyes
start to age to the point of needing glasses.
While autofocus can be great at getting it right most of the time, tack sharp critical focus still needs the human
eye to get it spot on consistently. For sports photos or activities with lots of movement, autofocus is still the
best bet in town because of the need to focus quickly, but when the action dies down, there is a new methodology that should be considered and exploited.
With the advent of DSLR cameras that can record video, a new method for manually focusing the lens to
achieve tack sharp focus has emerged. It utilizes the Live View video mode of these new cameras. It's extremely accurate and helpful when shooting more static type photos such as landscapes or macro shots. Read
on to find out how to leverage this new feature that is revolutionizing focusing.
Live View mode turns the back viewing screen of the camera into a TV screen. The viewscreen displays the
data that is being received by the camera sensor. Changing the autofocus switch for the camera lens to manual
puts the responsibility for focusing in the hands of the photographer. Trying to focus the lens with a 3 inch
screen may sound like an impossible feat, but Live View offers the ability to zoom in on the screen to both five
times (5x) or ten times (10x) magnification. With just a couple of touches of a button, the vision of an eagle is
suddenly in your hands making it easy to get tack sharp focus. Once the focus is set, compose and press the
shutter button. It's that simple, and for those photographers with glasses, it also means you don't have to fiddle
with them when taking a photo.
There is no other method of focusing the camera that is more accurate than Live View. There are two reasons
why: First, as stated above, is the ability to zoom in to five/ten times (5x/10x) magnification when focusing.
This allows the photographer to see, in minute detail before the image is made, exactly what will be in sharp
focus. The second reason is, Live View utilizes the same optical path to the camera sensor as is used when the
image is made. This is significant because of the design of DSLR cameras and is explained below.
Member Article: Jeff Claypoole
Page 9 Camera Club of Richmond — Southern Exposure Newsletter
- May 2011 Camera Club of Richmond — Southern Exposure Newsletter Traditionally, with DSLR cameras, the photographer looks through the viewfinder to see the image through the
lens. In actuality, the image/light entering through the front of the lens is redirected off a mirror, hanging inside of the camera body, up into the viewfinder where the image is seen. The viewfinder is also where exposure meter and autofocus systems are located. When the shutter button is pressed, the following sequence of
events happen:
1. The autofocus system determines the subject distance and focuses the lens.
2. The exposure meter determines the correct ISO, aperture and shutter speed.
3. The aperture blades inside of the lens are stopped down to the correct aperture size (f/stop).
4. The mirror inside of the body slaps up allowing a direct path for the image/light from the lens to reach the
camera sensor.
5. The shutter curtain opens and closes thus exposing the sensor to light.
6. The camera saves the recorded image to the camera's memory card.
The recorded image is displayed on the back viewscreen of the camera.
When the camera is autofocusing, during step #1 above, the redirection of the lens image by the mirror up into
the viewfinder is one of the main factors that can introduce focusing errors. In step #4, the lens image/light direction is changed when the mirror slaps up out of the way to allow the light to pass to the back of the camera
body and onto the camera sensor. If there is a distance difference between the mirror to viewfinder and the
mirror to camera sensor of more then 10 microns (millionths of an inch), it will affect the camera's ability to
critically focus. Using Live View eliminates this possible error from the image taking process.
When focusing in Live View mode, the light/image from the lens is always directed onto the camera sensor.
The plane of critical focus that is seen on the viewscreen and set by the photographer when manually focusing
the lens is what will be recorded.
It should be noted here that there may be other factors that can affect critical focus. Issues such as lens field
curvature, focus shift, as well as camera shake, can all contribute to less then optimal focus. Live View is not a
panacea for tack sharp images, but it's the best method for critically accurate focus.
Using Live View, when possible, to attain tack sharp focus is well worth the extra few moments to takes to
focus the camera. Speaking personally, it has put the "Wow Factor" back into my images. I am taking more
"keepers", and it has brought my photography up to a new level. I can not recommend it highly enough.
If you have any questions or comments, I would truly enjoy talking with you further at our next meeting.
Cheers, Jeff Claypoole

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #75633 by John Landolfi
Thanks, Charles! On the spot, as usual:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #75645 by chasrich

John Landolfi wrote: Thanks, Charles! On the spot, as usual:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Just don't turn me in. :watching:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024