Op tech Weatherguard for Nikon D7000

12 years 6 months ago #165760 by MYoung
I do a lot of outdoor activities and want to protect my new camera from the rain and snow. I just found this Weatherguard cover and was wondering is this worth the $80 price tag? I have found less expensive camera rain coats, but they look pretty cheap. This looks like it might last awhile. I'm just wondering how do you turn the focus ring on the lens with it covered?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166012 by Photo Joe
Buying the cheap covers would work too. Many people just use a normal plastic bag. As long as it covers the camera and lens and keeps the weather off it, anything will work. It's just up to you, how much you are willing to spend on it.

12 years 6 months ago #166153 by Adam Nagle
They have some nice protective covers for lenses, I've not seen this one before.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166282 by OP/TECH USA
Hi There!

Depending on your typical shooting conditions and camera configuration, the WeatherGuard may or may not be right for you.

There are several ways to configure the WeatherGuard, some which allow better access to the lens than others.

We made a demo video for this product several years ago, but it has been taken out of circulation due to the fact that this year we have discontinued the product. But with the following link you can see the video which might help you to better determine if it's for you.

As noted by others, a low-tech solution is often the way to go, and to this end we've come out with the RainSleeve, which is better than a regular plastic bag in that it has been designed specifically to be used with cameras. It is durable enough to get numerous uses out of it, but when it dies you don't have a huge investment in it. They come in packs of two.

I hope this helps to answer some of your questions. Please feel free to ask other questions you might have either here, or you can contact me via email at marketing (at) optechusa (dot) com.

12 years 6 months ago #166320 by John Ledder
Good post. I've only seen the plastic nearly disposable camera rain coats. This does look much more durable.

Family, Fishing, Fotography :)
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166601 by OP/TECH USA
It is quite durable. The exterior is a rip-stop nylon and the interior is entirely covered in hook-and-loop compatible loop material. One thing I like about it is when not in use the entire apparatus collapses down and can be wrapped around a tripod leg until needed.

12 years 6 months ago #166622 by MYoung
Thanks for posting this, when I go on break I'll be watching this

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #166682 by Vladimir
Will a 70-200mm lens fit under that?

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #168616 by Carlos

Vladimir wrote: Will a 70-200mm lens fit under that?

Most likely with out the hood

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #168798 by Stealthy Ninja

OP/TECH USA wrote: It is quite durable. The exterior is a rip-stop nylon and the interior is entirely covered in hook-and-loop compatible loop material. One thing I like about it is when not in use the entire apparatus collapses down and can be wrapped around a tripod leg until needed.

Hi OP/TECH I like your stuff and have used it for years. It's good to see you answering questions on the forum etc. Just a friendly reminder that you shouldn't advertise without permission from the owner of the forum (Alex). You're not advertising here, I understand, so it's all cool. But it would be awesome if you guys could sponsor the site. :D

:)
12 years 5 months ago #169409 by Thirsty Beaver
Won't those camera wet suits that you sell offer some sort of protection from the weather also? I forget what you call them, but many DSLR's are some what weather proof, add your protective case and they should be set?

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #171460 by Stealthy Ninja
OP/TECH are all about the quality. Don't buy cheap, buy twice.

I also welcome them (unofficially) as a new site sponsor. Welcome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OP/TECH USA
12 years 5 months ago #171636 by OP/TECH USA
Thanks for the welcome... it's good to be here!

@Thirsty Beaver- Yes the "wetsuits" (actually the Soft Pouch™ Digital D-Series Camera Pouches) do afford excellent protection from dust, moisture and impact. But the RainSleeve™ and WeatherGuard™ are for while the camera is in use. The pouches are for transporting and storing the camera.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024