Best travel tripod under $125?

10 years 1 month ago #361973 by Jacob1977
I need a good tripod for a upcoming trip.  I don't want to spend more than $125 in case I lose it.  :)

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #362133 by KCook
Dunno about travel tripods in particular.  But I've been happy with my Slik tripods.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

10 years 1 month ago #362157 by garyrhook
I am looking at a picking up a used Dolica today (carbon fiber). It, along with a lot of Slik tripods, are on sale at Adorama right now.

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #362171 by Screamin Scott
What does the heaviest camera/lens combo you will be mounting on it weigh ?...  How tall does it need to be ?... Can't give you very appropriate answers without knowing more info... There are some inexpensive tripods out there, but which one to suggest depends on more info from you.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #362273 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: What does the heaviest camera/lens combo you will be mounting on it weigh ?...  How tall does it need to be ?... Can't give you very appropriate answers without knowing more info... There are some inexpensive tripods out there, but which one to suggest depends on more info from you.

:agree:
You have to get them based on the maximum weight they will be supporting. They might not break, but they will not keep the camera steady enough on low shutter speed shots.

10 years 1 month ago #362277 by Screamin Scott

Joves wrote:

Screamin Scott wrote: What does the heaviest camera/lens combo you will be mounting on it weigh ?...  How tall does it need to be ?... Can't give you very appropriate answers without knowing more info... There are some inexpensive tripods out there, but which one to suggest depends on more info from you.

:agree:
You have to get them based on the maximum weight they will be supporting. They might not break, but they will not keep the camera steady enough on low shutter speed shots.

That's especially true of metal tripods as they transmit vibrations easily. The general rule of thumb is to get a tripod that will support twice the weight of your heaviest camera/lens combo. One thing people forget too, is that if you put a bag from the bottom center post hook with rocks or other things to add weight to stabilize the pod, that has to be factored in as well

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #362605 by Jim Photo
3 Legged Thing makes a good travel tripod

Photo Comments
10 years 1 week ago #371786 by nikosbernardo
Carbon Fiber tripods are best for traveling  purpose because of their lightweight. But their price is little high.........

10 years 1 week ago #371816 by garyrhook
I just nabbed an Dolica via Craig's List and am quite happy with it (ball head). About 4 pounds and came with a case. This one couldn't handle the really heavy lenses, so the seller had to upgrade. But he loved everything else about it. I understand why. And it's very reasonably priced.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 days ago #372463 by tamoura13
I would get a Dolica carbon fiber tripod too.  The price is right and it's compact enough for travel.  Light weight too (I think t's less than 4 pounds ).  I think they sell on Amazon as well.

10 years 2 days ago #372905 by Tuscan Muse
:goodpost:
10 years 2 days ago #372910 by Screamin Scott
Be careful as all manufacturers offer different quality levels in their line up.... Make sure that the pod will handle at least 2x the weight of the heaviest camera/lens/grip /ball head you intend to mount on it. Otherwise the joints or ball head will slip... I noticed that most of the Dolicia's on Amazon didn't list maximum load weights. The one I saw that did was just over the $125, but only supported 13 lbs... Granted, my tripod costs a lot more (3 Legged Thing Eddie Evo II)  but it will support twice the weight... You get what you pay for... Better to save up & get a good model to start with than having to constantly keep buying progressively more expensive models...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
9 years 11 months ago #375381 by Tim Entin

garyrhook wrote: I am looking at a picking up a used Dolica today (carbon fiber). It, along with a lot of Slik tripods, are on sale at Adorama right now.

I have a Slik, good value tripod IMO

9 years 11 months ago #376512 by JaneK
Have you seen the Redged tripods?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024