How to Correctly Use a Tripod

2 weeks 5 days ago #724288 by LensofNature
Hi all, 
I'm looking for guidance/information on how to correctly use a tripod.  I have a Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01 tripod, 1.5 kg  (3.3 lbs, Max), 1.15 kg (paddlock symbol, I assume it means compact, 2.53 lbs, 60.63"  (154cm), 18.11" (46cm) - I'm not sure what these specifications mean other than a general idea of the weight and height of the tripod both fully extended and compact.  Interestingly enough, it feels heavier when compact than when fully extended.  
The three main issues I have (apart from the self-consciousness of using one), are height (I am only approximately 5ft 2 in, and the extensions appear to be in fixed segments when I undo any of the four rubber clips); focusing (after adjusting the focus, it sometimes slips as I tighten the rubber wheel to keep the head of the tripod steady); and understanding the effects of turning the knob to camera or video, as well as which is the forefront/center pole (I'm assuming it's the one with the Manfrotto logo printed on it).  I keep the tripod on camera setting, but on occasion, I accidently switch it to video.
My questions are:
What is the correct position of a tripod?
Is there a way to adjust the tripod to my height?
How can I properly focus with a tripod, and how can I level it when the ground is uneven?
Thanks so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 4 days ago #724297 by Nikon Shooter
All tripods are different and toggers are different too
so there is — that I know — no absolute way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

Latest Articles

You might have heard of documentary photography before, but do you really know what it is? Find out in this guide on documentary photography.

Sep 24, 2021

Buying used photography gear can be a little gut-wrenching. In this guide, learn what to look for in a used lens so you're sure you get a quality addition to your camera bag.

Sep 23, 2021

When buying a metal print, there are tons of options to think about. In this metal print buyer's guide, learn what to look for in a metal print.

Sep 22, 2021

Use these commercial real estate photography tips to create compelling images that accurately and artfully portray commercial spaces.

Sep 22, 2021

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

What kind of monitor should you have for video work? There's a great debate between on-camera vs field monitors - let's see which is best for you.

Sep 21, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021