How to AVOID getting this ? help Please

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #165022 by LovePhotography

So I have been going out every weekend day and shooting around my Town - I Love it -

I was told today that they are Flat and that I have to work on that - BUT that is not my issues

How do you avoid getting this in a shot with Sun??

THANKS Everybody for your comments - but I posted the wrong picture - of course I guess that this one is not the best but THIS IS what I am talking about -

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #165028 by chasrich
Ummmmm... define "this"

A good tool for shooting into the sun is the graduated ND filter. It darkens the sky half of the frame.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #165050 by KCook
Biggest problem I see is that the shot does not appear level. Which has nothing to do with the Sun!

no help Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #165052 by pottsy62
What is your definition of "THIS"?

Apart from the water line not being horizontal, the ONLY thing I would do is try to get a little closer for an unobstructed view of thw water body. The sapling on the left is a little bit distracting.

Andrew

Hey, YOU... Yes - YOU...come and see my site...
:rofl: :cheers: :thumbsup: www.snowleopardanimation.com.au :thumbsup: :cheers: :rofl:

12 years 5 months ago #165054 by Dori
This shot appears to have been taken on a hazy day. Charles does have a point with the graduated filter. Or a polarizer might help too.

What are you seeing in this shot?

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #165057 by John Landolfi
Aside from the tilting horizon and the somewhat dull composition, I think you may be referring to the blown sky. Charles' suggestion of an ND filter of some sort would help, as would more accurate metering. Are you using Matrix? Why not try spot metring around the image, to get an idea of the range of exposures you are trying to capture (lanscapes like this have wide DR) and use Manual mode with a "compromise" aperture/Shutter combination that will expose each important area at least adequately. Are you using a lens shade?:)

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165059 by Dori
:goodpost:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 5 months ago #165082 by Rob pix4u2
Invest in some good filters such as a polarizer and a grad neutral density and maybe one that accentuates color and work on using in camera grid lines or a tripod with a level to get your horizon level. try to see all of the distracting elements in the viewfinder before you shoot and re-adjust your framing. If you are getting lens flare then really try to change the angle that you are shooting from.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 5 months ago #165084 by Screamin Scott
Aside from the comments listed above, it appears to be lacking contrast which is something that can be alleviated in post

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #165143 by Stealthy Ninja
Shoot dawn/dusk.
12 years 5 months ago #165486 by Duorts
Don't shoot at high noon.

12 years 5 months ago #165491 by lillton
Are you talking about that flair? I think a lens hood can take care of that.

12 years 5 months ago #165492 by photobod
I believe the main problem is the time of day you are shooting at, the best light is dawn or dusk so try this, a good lens hood is essential to help with flare, an ND filter would help with your sky, composition and subject are fine in my eyes, you are definately improving since your arrival here so keep practising. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 5 months ago #165632 by LovePhotography
Thanks I will look into getting one of those or a few - I posted the wrong pictures.. NEW One is posted above it..

12 years 5 months ago #165633 by LovePhotography
Hi Kelly, I know that it is Not level - I SEEM to like that - a bit off center and Not lined up - I have heard from a friend who does not like that either SO
I guess I should stop doing it - I put my camera at an angle - I think that it is different but Maybe NOT good..

:thumbsup:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024