How to AVOID getting this ? help Please

12 years 5 months ago #165635 by LovePhotography

pottsy62 wrote: What is your definition of "THIS"?

Apart from the water line not being horizontal, the ONLY thing I would do is try to get a little closer for an unobstructed view of thw water body. The sapling on the left is a little bit distracting.

Andrew

I posted the Wrong picture - I like that it is Not horizontal - Maybe it is me.. I could not get closer I was on the end of trail as it was..
I would Love to have gotten a better shot but....

12 years 5 months ago #165641 by LovePhotography

Dori wrote: This shot appears to have been taken on a hazy day. Charles does have a point with the graduated filter. Or a polarizer might help too.

What are you seeing in this shot?

I posted the wrong picture - but i am going to be looking at the filters for sure..

12 years 5 months ago #165643 by KCook
A tilted frame can work for some subjects. Landscapes and nature just are not such a subject.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #165644 by LovePhotography

John Landolfi wrote: Aside from the tilting horizon and the somewhat dull composition, I think you may be referring to the blown sky. Charles' suggestion of an ND filter of some sort would help, as would more accurate metering. Are you using Matrix? Why not try spot metring around the image, to get an idea of the range of exposures you are trying to capture (lanscapes like this have wide DR) and use Manual mode with a "compromise" aperture/Shutter combination that will expose each important area at least adequately. Are you using a lens shade?:)

I like the Tilting horizon - I went for that. - but am thinking that I should not do that..

I am not using a lens shade but I posted the wrong picture -

I don't know what Matrix is so I would have to say that i am Not using it..

Dull - I liked it but Good to hear

12 years 5 months ago #165645 by LovePhotography

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Invest in some good filters such as a polarizer and a grad neutral density and maybe one that accentuates color and work on using in camera grid lines or a tripod with a level to get your horizon level. try to see all of the distracting elements in the viewfinder before you shoot and re-adjust your framing. If you are getting lens flare then really try to change the angle that you are shooting from.

I will do that for sure- I like that it is not straight but I guess that it is bad.

But will have to try something else
I posted the wrong picture but for sure got glare..

12 years 5 months ago #165646 by chasrich
I get the horizon off all the time. It is so east to do when water is involved. A lake ot pond makes a great spirit level and makes the tilt too obvious.

The flare is something that happens when the sun directly hits the lens. A lens hood is the simplest solution or something they call a flag which would provide shadow but not be in the frame. By the same token if you wanted a little flare in the shot you might remove the hood for the shot. A polarizing filter might also help in some situations. :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 5 months ago #165647 by LovePhotography

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Shoot dawn/dusk.

I will try that as well Thanks...

12 years 5 months ago #165648 by LovePhotography

Duorts wrote: Don't shoot at high noon.

will work on that one.. :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago #165649 by LovePhotography

lillton wrote: Are you talking about that flair? I think a lens hood can take care of that.

I have a few of those - But don't seem to get away from the corners of them - Some come out great and others are bad with the shadow
Guess I have to work with them more -

Are the best if it is sunny out??

12 years 5 months ago #165651 by LovePhotography

photobod wrote: I believe the main problem is the time of day you are shooting at, the best light is dawn or dusk so try this, a good lens hood is essential to help with flare, an ND filter would help with your sky, composition and subject are fine in my eyes, you are definately improving since your arrival here so keep practising. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would think that sun on a lake would be pretty - I have a few lens hoods.. I will for sure look for a filter or a few

Thanks - for that I liked the picture so I thought that composition and subject were good - not great..

Thanks I have been going out Every weekend and shooting for about 3 hours each day - I am going out on Sunday to shoot on
a trail and hike up a hill

Any other ideas that might help?? I have been told that my pictures are FLAT - so looking into depth of field (I think) but would LOVE To hear
tips that I can try - I am going to work in Manual some -

Thanks again ...

12 years 5 months ago #165660 by butterflygirl921
The sun flare i think is adding to the photo, but if you don't like it i would do a hood on you camera or try to get the photo from a different point or a different time of the day.
Hope this helps,
Amanda

12 years 5 months ago #165684 by LovePhotography

KCook wrote: A tilted frame can work for some subjects. Landscapes and nature just are not such a subject.

Kelly

Good to know - i have done it in a few of them - will try to be better..

12 years 5 months ago #165687 by LovePhotography

chasrich wrote: I get the horizon off all the time. It is so east to do when water is involved. A lake ot pond makes a great spirit level and makes the tilt too obvious.

The flare is something that happens when the sun directly hits the lens. A lens hood is the simplest solution or something they call a flag which would provide shadow but not be in the frame. By the same token if you wanted a little flare in the shot you might remove the hood for the shot. A polarizing filter might also help in some situations. :thumbsup:

Thanks - I will bring my hoods with me on Sunday and see what happens...

I am going to look into filters - :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #165689 by LovePhotography

butterflygirl921 wrote: The sun flare i think is adding to the photo, but if you don't like it i would do a hood on you camera or try to get the photo from a different point or a different time of the day.
Hope this helps,
Amanda

Yes VERY much - that is why I LOVE this site You can learn and hear what people have to say the good , bad & even ugly -
I am going to try my hoods this weekend and see if it helps -

Thanks for saying that it adds to the photo -

Very Helpful thanks.. :thumbsup:

12 years 5 months ago #165714 by chasrich
Flares and tilted horizons are neither good nor bad. They are just options that we have when we compose a shot. I didn't care for black and white until I did an assignment that called for it. Turns out I like B/W a lot more but only for certain occasions.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024