How to AVOID getting this ? help Please

12 years 5 months ago #165772 by LovePhotography

chasrich wrote: Flares and tilted horizons are neither good nor bad. They are just options that we have when we compose a shot. I didn't care for black and white until I did an assignment that called for it. Turns out I like B/W a lot more but only for certain occasions.

Yes well I feel like photography is that - Options .

Funny i am not a fan of black & white either - I LOVE color - my friend purchased a picture that was black & white of trees and I did not love it Liked it but...

I am not sure other that someone faces would be good in black & white

12 years 5 months ago #165931 by Rob pix4u2
Glad that you are willing to look into our critiques with positive thoughts as we are trying to help. Shooting at dawn/dusk gives your pics more depth as does a technique called HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE- this is where the elements in the foreground are in focus as well as the elements of the background ( FOREGROUND TO INFINITY) this also gives your photos depth. It helps to use a tripod for these landscape shots and an F-Stop around 16-22-32.

These are three examples of the results of this technique

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #165989 by LovePhotography

Rob pix4u2 wrote: Glad that you are willing to look into our critiques with positive thoughts as we are trying to help. Shooting at dawn/dusk gives your pics more depth as does a technique called HYPERFOCAL DISTANCE- this is where the elements in the foreground are in focus as well as the elements of the background ( FOREGROUND TO INFINITY) this also gives your photos depth. It helps to use a tripod for these landscape shots and an F-Stop around 16-22-32.

These are three examples of the results of this technique

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :agree:

Oh I am Always willing to learn and hear the good, bad & ugly..

I LOVE these - but ? I was told that to get one thing in focus and the rest in the back ground is Also good & makes for a great
picture?? NO????

I will try it this Sunday on my hike up a hill - and when at the Top Maybe I can get some good shots..

What OTHER things would you work on??

I am going to bring a Hood - I am meeting my friend at 9 and then walking from there - so Not at duck Or Dawn really - but going up
a to a ski area - where there is birds and stuff and then the View -

12 years 5 months ago #166238 by Shadowfixer1
Spoke to the guys putting on the Nikon School years ago and they said the most simple thing to improve your photography is to use a lens hood. Put you hand above your eyes and shade them. It makes a difference and the effect on your lens is the same when you use a hood.

Tilted horizons are fine but the need to be tilted enough to look like it was on purpose and not by mistake. A slight tilt just looks like a mistake.
12 years 5 months ago #166250 by LovePhotography

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Spoke to the guys putting on the Nikon School years ago and they said the most simple thing to improve your photography is to use a lens hood. Put you hand above your eyes and shade them. It makes a difference and the effect on your lens is the same when you use a hood.

Tilted horizons are fine but the need to be tilted enough to look like it was on purpose and not by mistake. A slight tilt just looks like a mistake.

:thumbsup:

I am going to take a few with me on Sunday when I go -

Oh So MINE Is not enough - I get it now - I was just using a Slight tilt - and maybe it does make the picture look bad - I don't see it
but ...

THANK YOU !!

12 years 5 months ago #166289 by icepics
Rob's photos work (and that first one in particular is spectacular) because he's shooting a landscape from far away, shooting at infinity (the sideways 8 on the lens). And since he used a small aperture it gets everything in focus.

What people are probably describing to you is getting a 'portrait' type shot, where the subject is filling much of the frame and you'd want the background more out of focus. That can help bring the viewer's attention to the subject instead of the background. In Rob's photos he obviously worked to get everything in focus because the background IS what he wanted to show in his photos.

Different things work in different situations. That's what takes time and practice, it helps to understand what you're doing and how to take a well composed shot - if you can do that well then you can try different techniques (like tilting) with more success.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166314 by LovePhotography

icepics wrote: Rob's photos work (and that first one in particular is spectacular) because he's shooting a landscape from far away, shooting at infinity (the sideways 8 on the lens). And since he used a small aperture it gets everything in focus.

What people are probably describing to you is getting a 'portrait' type shot, where the subject is filling much of the frame and you'd want the background more out of focus. That can help bring the viewer's attention to the subject instead of the background. In Rob's photos he obviously worked to get everything in focus because the background IS what he wanted to show in his photos.

Different things work in different situations. That's what takes time and practice, it helps to understand what you're doing and how to take a well composed shot - if you can do that well then you can try different techniques (like tilting) with more success.

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

I agree with you I really like his shots - But some that I have seen look like mine (or I think so anyways) so I don't get it -

Yes that is what I have heard - is get a subject in the frame and the blurry - which I think that I have done - But I guess NOT -

I am going to work on this on Sunday - take a few hoods, a few lenses and a note book to shoot in Manual Mode and then change the settings as with the first class that we took - to try to see which is in focus and which is not..

So here is the big quesiton do you think that I have good composed shot ? just off in other ways.

I have to say that I like the tilt and no one else really did -

I cannot wait to practice BUT I do need to take time with it - I get all excited about the shot and want to get a ton of pictures and different angles, etc..

thanks for your input again - I will continue to work on it - but like I said in the past I LIKE my pictures... Even if others don't - I DO.. So maybe I will never get it.

12 years 5 months ago #166352 by icepics
In many of them I'm not sure what you were trying for; in the ones that are at an angle it's hard to notice the composition because the tilt is too distracting I think. Some of your better ones are composed better, where you have a nice balance in the image. Some of the ones that I think the composition is off are the ones where you either are too far away or got in too close..Composing a shot isn't easy to explain I don't think, and takes time to get good at. I think I learned a good bit about composition taking art classes years ago.

If you posted something of yours that's a landscape we could compare it to what Rob posted and see what seems similar or what seems different.

Taking along a notebook and trying different settings and writing down what you did sounds like a good idea. That could help you learn what works and what doesn't. That and picking out some of your best and figuring out why they're good.

I was just thinking too that I have pictures I like but I know they're not good, maybe they're of something that makes me laugh, or are of a memory of something fun. I've read that there can be a difference between your favorite pictures and the ones that are your best.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #166484 by LovePhotography

icepics wrote: In many of them I'm not sure what you were trying for; in the ones that are at an angle it's hard to notice the composition because the tilt is too distracting I think. Some of your better ones are composed better, where you have a nice balance in the image. Some of the ones that I think the composition is off are the ones where you either are too far away or got in too close..Composing a shot isn't easy to explain I don't think, and takes time to get good at. I think I learned a good bit about composition taking art classes years ago.

If you posted something of yours that's a landscape we could compare it to what Rob posted and see what seems similar or what seems different.

Taking along a notebook and trying different settings and writing down what you did sounds like a good idea. That could help you learn what works and what doesn't. That and picking out some of your best and figuring out why they're good.

I was just thinking too that I have pictures I like but I know they're not good, maybe they're of something that makes me laugh, or are of a memory of something fun. I've read that there can be a difference between your favorite pictures and the ones that are your best.

Okay - I still like the ones with the angles - but I hear you and do understand - NO real story to the pictures...

See for me - I like having it be far away to GET it all in the picture -

Here are some of the ones that I REALLY Like - Please let me know what is wrong with them - AS I have seen pictures like this
on post cards etc...

I am going to re-look at Rob's As they are Great.

I hope that it will help - going with someone MIGHT not be a good idea as I am going to busy do my own thing BUT I can always go out again
alone...

Oh I agree some are much better than others - BUT I LIKE ALL OF Mine - Not Love LIKE !!

Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #166544 by Shadowfixer1
As the old saying goes " if it's not a good picture, you're just not close enough".
12 years 5 months ago #166572 by LovePhotography

Shadowfixer1 wrote: As the old saying goes " if it's not a good picture, you're just not close enough".

I have NOT heard that before... Good to know

12 years 5 months ago #166575 by Lisa JK

LovePhotography wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: As the old saying goes " if it's not a good picture, you're just not close enough".

I have NOT heard that before... Good to know

Same here, never heard of that saying. Shadowfixer, who did that quote come from? Just wondering if you knew.

12 years 5 months ago #166604 by KCook

LovePhotography wrote:

Here are some of the ones that I REALLY Like - Please let me know what is wrong with them - AS I have seen pictures like this
on post cards etc...

Top one has too much clutter in the foreground. Of course in some cases there is not a lot you can do about that without swinging a chainsaw ;) . On the other hand, if that mass of leafless branches was what you were wanting to show off, then some steps can be made in that direction. Such as really kicking the contrast up.

The bottom one is quite good, much better than most of the others you have posted. Still not quite level (sorry). The woodsey mass on the right side could use a little more contrast. This adjustment is tricky, as it's important to not blow out (brighten) the sky any more than it already is. Making such adjustments to selected areas within a picture is where Post Processing comes into play. You cannot do that with just the camera controls. But the basic capture is really quite sound. Just needs tweaking in PP. Good job on that one. :cheers:

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 5 months ago #166611 by LovePhotography

KCook wrote:

LovePhotography wrote:

on post cards etc...

Top one has too much clutter in the foreground. Of course in some cases there is not a lot you can do about that without swinging a chainsaw ;) . On the other hand, if that mass of leafless branches was what you were wanting to show off, then some steps can be made in that direction. Such as really kicking the contrast up.

The bottom one is quite good, much better than most of the others you have posted. Still not quite level (sorry). The woodsey mass on the right side could use a little more contrast. This adjustment is tricky, as it's important to not blow out (brighten) the sky any more than it already is. Making such adjustments to selected areas within a picture is where Post Processing comes into play. You cannot do that with just the camera controls. But the basic capture is really quite sound. Just needs tweaking in PP. Good job on that one. :cheers:

Kelly

The top one I liked that all around was dead and that there was a Hint of color - I Liked it - kicking up the contrast would change the color, right? I like that it has only a hint of color -
maybe in my thinking of a good shot is not a good shot -

I liked the top one for the following -
The hint of yellow in the tree, the dead stuff around it and you can just see the walking path -

Thank you for the second - I will work in keeping stuff straight - but what do you look for for a straight picture - the water or the landscape??

Tweaking in PP? what is that?? I guess I like what the camera seems in the color and stuff - and Maybe I don't know good from bad -

But will work on it - thank you,

12 years 5 months ago #166623 by KCook
Changing contrast may, or may not, change color tones. Depends on the situation. In any event this would best be done in PP (Post Processing), not in the camera.

For any shot with a quiet body of water (not a babbling brook), that water is automatically our eye's guide to whether the shot is level or not. Some of the newest cameras do have a leveling gauge shown in the viewfinder! Wish my old 50D had that feature. Shots that are slightly off level can be adjusted in PP. I do that all the time.

PP is simply what you do with a photo editor. Not a camera adjustment. Many novices think camera control is the entire story. Perfect camera settings results in perfect picture with no need for editing. Pros (mostly) know better. Your editor is your friend.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024