How to train your eye to see creatively?

12 years 5 months ago #177728 by Number 7
Are there any really good self help books on how to teach yourself to see things more creatively? Even DVD's would be nice. Something to help me start framing up better shots, or to visualize how something would look with certain lighting.

Anything would help.

Thanks everyone

Robert

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #177734 by gjtoth
Bryan Peterson's, "Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography" should do ya. goo.gl/yZUVj

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #177736 by Baydream
Bryan Peterson has some unique views on the subject.
www.google.com/products/catalog?q=bryan+...HOBw&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAw

or a number of items here
www.adorama.com/alc/expert/249

(I type slower :P )

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #178618 by Henry Peach
Taking the basic Design and Drawing classes at your local college will help a lot. I've recommended Drawing 101 to many of my friends. They always reply "But I can't draw!" It doesn't matter. The class is more about teaching you to see how the 3D world converts to 2D.

You can probably find similar material online also. Try some negative space exercises.

A book I enjoyed was "Perception and Imaging: Photography-A Way of Seeing" by Richard Zakia

"I am always mentally photographing everything as practice." -Minor White

When I'm out and about without a camera I sometimes pretend I'm photographing with an imaginary camera. I think that has really helped me.

A good exercise I remember from my Photography 101 class was called "3 times of day" by my professor. Find a convenient location, such as in your yard. Shoot the scene. Return to the location at least 2 more times, and shoot the exact same composition in different kinds of light. Lighting can be changed by time of day, season, weather, etc... For instance shoot in the morning, early afternoon, and at sunset. Shoot on sunny days and overcast days. Compare all the photos, and see how different lighting changes the appearance of the same scene.
12 years 5 months ago #178634 by cod

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 5 months ago #178844 by Trilby
I listened to a podcast in which going on a photo shoot without a camera was suggested. I tried, just went for my usual walk with a notebook basically. When I saw a scene that grabbed me, I wrote down why it grabbed me, and how I'd shoot it if I had a camera. It's amazing how much more thought I put into a scene without the camera at the ready.

My photography teacher who I greatly respect drummed into us that looking at the work of others is one of the greatest tools in learning to see creatively.

Here's a link to the podcasts in question, I highly recommend them and the 'Photographic Meditations' is particularly relevant to this question.

itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/masterclass-...tography/id477845485

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
12 years 5 months ago #178856 by sleeper54

Trilby wrote: --snip--

Here's a link to the podcasts in question, I highly recommend them and the 'Photographic Meditations' is particularly relevant to this question.

itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/masterclass-...tography/id477845485

this content/series and more is available at youtube ...for those who are not itunes-enabled.

Search for theartofphotography. . . .oh h3ll . . .here is a link...

The Art of Photography

...tom...

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #178859 by Scotty
If I may make a suggestion.

Use a prime, and get in close, don't shoot wide.

Use rules of 3rd's on simple objects and things will open up to you.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 5 months ago #178911 by Todays Photos
For me, I'll take one lens out, which is usually my fish eye lens and I'll just sit somewhere in the city. Let the city air surround me, look around at all the different angles, and shapes that surrounds everyday. And then I start shooting interesting shots, creative angles etc..

12 years 5 months ago #178932 by Henry Peach

Trilby wrote: My photography teacher who I greatly respect drummed into us that looking at the work of others is one of the greatest tools in learning to see creatively.

:agree: and not just photography. I visit every gallery and art museum I can as often as I can. It's also good to view your own photos. Get them printed and hang them on your walls. Rotate/change out photos often.
12 years 5 months ago #178934 by Henry Peach
Try to stop thinking of your subject as the thing to be aimed at and photographed. Start thinking of it as just another shape or collection of shapes. Every shape in the frame must be considered, even those that are not part of the main subject matter. When converting the 3D world to 2D remember that even empty space that we normally ignore becomes a shape that must be considered.
12 years 5 months ago #179479 by icepics
Some great suggestions Henry. I'm not familiar with those titles COD but think I'll take a look at them, thanks.

I took art classes in high school/college and workshops since; I think that ended up being helpful with photography. I too would suggest studying 'the masters' - Ansel Adams was the first I remember reading up on years ago (I haven't done landscapes particularly but do quite a bit of B&W). Kertesz is my favorite, and I like Brassai, Strand; modern art and the Dutch masters and Vermeer's use of light. If you find a photographer or artist whose work you can relate to that could be a good starting point.

Going to museums is great, and many also have parts of their collections or exhibitions online for study. You might also see what you find at the library before you get into buying a lot of how-to books; I think some of those tend to give tips but don't necessarily help you understand what you're doing so you can apply it to a variety of situations.

Sharon
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024