Film or Digital... How Did You Learn Photography?

5 years 10 months ago #588620 by Luca
I'm guessing just the older peeps might fall in that category.  But just making some conversation this morning.  I'm feeling it may be a relax day with Netflix and my computer.

digital for me. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588657 by garyrhook
I was interested in photography when I was young, but the cost of entry for 35mm was prohibitive for me. Not until about 15 years ago with a digital camera that had a manual mode, and not seriously until 2012 with a decent consumer DSLR.

The rest is history. :rofl:

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588676 by Stanly
Film, however because of cost of film. Most of my experience however was picked up with digital. 

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588686 by fmw
My first camera was a Zeiss Contaflex 35mm SLR with a Zeiss Tessar 45mm f2.8 fixed lens.  My second was a Speed Graphic 4X5 press camera with a Kodak Ektar 135mm lens.  Digital photography wouldn't exist for several decades.  For fun I've included an image made with my Contaflex in 1962.  The subject is the famous Venus de Milo photographed in St. Peter's basilica in Rome.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 10 months ago #588772 by Jared-Weaver
Digital for me. I was always interested in photography but equipment was very scarce where I lived. The nearest camera store was over 200 miles away and maked up to hell because it had to be shipped in. I didn't get my first DLSR until long after film became obsloete.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588782 by Ian Stone
Getting serious, for me it was digital

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #588785 by effron
Film, in the late sixties and early seventies....and I miss NOTHING about film photography except maybe those simplified old manual cameras....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589046 by fmw

effron wrote: Film, in the late sixties and early seventies....and I miss NOTHING about film photography except maybe those simplified old manual cameras....

You would be a good candidate for the Fuji X system.  The cameras operate much like those old manual cameras but with modern technology.

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #589193 by Amy Porter
35mm film camera that my father gave me

Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590088 by effron

fmw wrote:

effron wrote: Film, in the late sixties and early seventies....and I miss NOTHING about film photography except maybe those simplified old manual cameras....

You would be a good candidate for the Fuji X system.  The cameras operate much like those old manual cameras but with modern technology.

If I was starting out today, you'd probably be correct. I'm already quite invested in my Nikon gear and happy....Plus, I still own all those old filmers, and they're all in pretty good condition.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #590261 by Stanly

:agree:  but I do enjoy the nostalgic feeling of using an old camera.  However the film processing is such a PITA .  

Nikon Z6 | Nikon FM10 | Nikon D80 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8D | Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S VR | 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro | 80-200mm f/4.5 | SB600 | Pocket Wizard II
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592152 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

I received my first camera somewhere around 1955 and it was 120-size roll film job that took 8x images per roll. My first SLR was a Pentax in the early-60s and over the following 40 years I went from Pentax screw-mount lenses to K-mount Ricoh & Pentax, along with lenses from 20mm to 1000mm used for nature stuff

Nowadays I am tired of the size & weight of dSLRs and huge lenses, so I enjoy fixed lens superzooms more than SLRs. Changing lenses no longer excites me and I get all the features of a dSLR without the weight etc.

The apartment walls are littered with photos on all the walls with 90% of my prints are 8" x 12"s with many 24" or 30" wide panos from the small sensor cameras show me that I don't really need a big camera any more

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

5 years 9 months ago #592166 by Nikon Shooter

effron wrote: Film, in the late sixties and early seventies....and I miss NOTHING about film photography.

:agree:
I converted all my operation to digital only when the D3X was released.
Later,I acquired the D3S after for the extreme low light capability and  
other models for their high pixel count… mainly.

effron wrote: except maybe those simplified old manual cameras....

I feel so well with the more sophisticated digitals that I don't share the
nostalgia!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #592170 by Shadowfixer1
There wasn't a choice when I started with my first 35mm camera in the early eighties. I was a quick adopter of digital and got in the game fairly early in 2001 with a Minolta Dimage 7 which I still have and it still works as good as it ever did.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024