Buying the right camera for YOU

3 years 2 months ago #708522 by Alex
Deciding which camera is right for you can be a confusing task. There’s tons of different types of cameras at all sorts of price points. There’s many different camera features to think about as well. It can all be pretty confusing! But if you want to streamline the process of choosing a camera, and find the right camera for your needs, it’s helpful to zero in on four simple criteria. Tune in, learn what to look for, and get the details on our current giveaway while you’re at it!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
3 years 2 months ago #708721 by Sawyer
Good set of tips for someone getting started

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
3 years 3 weeks ago #713347 by Carter Gledhill
Good tips guys, missed this one some how.  

2 years 11 months ago #715982 by Jim Photo
Awesome, just shared! 

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #717511 by Ben Vanderbilt
Good advice that beginners or for that matter anyone should follow when buying a new camera.  

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #721747 by Jakov Barnes
Just forwarded this to my sister who is buying her first camera.  

Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #723210 by Jackman
All good tips here.  Thank you for sharing.

Photo Comments
2 years 7 months ago #723759 by Ben Howen
So true, good points.  

Canon T3i, 18-55mm IS, 50mm, 55-250mm
2 years 4 months ago #728868 by Ken Brun
Super good advice!  

Photo Comments
2 years 4 months ago #729410 by EOS_Fan
Hey Alex, how do you decide which cameras you review?

Photo Comments
2 years 4 months ago #729411 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alex + team

The video - like many similar videos - falls down by directing people to a dSLR "if you want to play with settings like speeds, apertures and ISO adjustments", then continues to extoll the virtues of lenses for those dSLR cameras

For much of the last 40+ yrs I have been in adult education with various Photographic Techniques modules + in the last decade now with digital equipment, running weekend workshops across outback eastern Australia. Of the 1000+ attendees over this decade, about 98% of arrivals had their dSLR on 'auto' operation, ie- completely negating the usage of the settings extolled in the video. As I travel around the country and I stand alongside a dSLR user at a lookout or somesuch, a glance at their camera shows two-thirds are using 'auto' as their main setting.

At my weekend workshops I have had many people who have trialled a student-available dSLR plus lenses along with a good quality 'bridge' camera, and chosen the bridge camera as better suited for their style of photography

They have chosen the bridge camera because it does not need extra lenses -and- because it has all the buttons and controls of the dSLR without the size and weight of the dSLR to carry around

Personally, after 40+ yrs of SLR usage along with a bevy of lenses, I have dumped the lot and now exclusively use bridge cameras. I have settled on Panasonic cameras with their excellent Leica zoom lenses and around the house are many prints of 20 inches wide, all as clear as a bell as the old saying goes

So- I feel that it would be better if those who offer opinions on topics like this one (ie- the video) had more experience with alternatives and did not automatically grab the dSLR as the "best" option for someone's new camera

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 4 months ago #729414 by db3348
Well said, Phil .

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ozzie_Traveller
2 years 3 months ago #730090 by Dana Beasley
Actually I enjoyed the video, good message  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024