my first black and white

4 years 1 month ago #679040 by keith1955
I am new to high tech photo gear , after loosing a lot of pals over the last year i have said stuff the cost to everything i want hence my set up. I have all canon gear , a 90d , a 50mm f 1.4 , a 50mm f 1.8 the 100-400mm mk2 zoom , the zoom will be for dophins. 

With a few extras the whole package came out at just under £4,000

As a noobie i am slowly getting to grips with how everything works and in a few weeks i will be going on a "get you off auto" photographic course. I have taken a lot of photos of this building to try out monochrome and the best setting on the day with the 50mm f 1.4 came out at shutter 1/500 F8 and iso 800.

You may not agree with my settings but as i say i am a noobie

FOOTNOTE:- Before anyone asks why i got 2 different 50mm , i got the F 1.8 without realising it is primarily for portraits so i got the 1.4 a few days later.

Attachments:
4 years 1 month ago #679046 by Nikon Shooter

keith1955 wrote: Before anyone asks why i got 2 different 50mm , i got the F 1.8 without realising it is primarily for portraits so i got the 1.4 a few days later.

Really, Keith, serious?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679047 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Keith

Firstly - WELCOME to the photo forum - you will find plenty of people here with the knowledge and skills to assist you

Your post is titled 'my first black and white' - but where is it? ~ maybe try again to insert your image

Okay - back to your equipment ~ I do not use dSLR cameras (preferring superzooms) but cannot see the need for 2x 50mm lenses. Meethinks that you have been sold a pup here ... see if you can take one back for a refund

The 100-400 will become very useful for more than 'just dolphins' ~ but if you start to find the weight of the camera plus lens is too much, you might need a good monopod when out and about.

ps- here's a link to some of my recent long-zoom pix
www.photographytalk.com/forum/sports-and...orning-surfer#662717

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 1 month ago #679058 by garyrhook
You don't need two 50mm lenses, and neither of them is good for portraits. You'd be better off returning the f/1.8 and getting a 35mm lens. Something wider will give you choices.

That said, using your kit and learning about what you want to do will help you decide future purchases. So I wouldn't worry too much about anything else right now.

Go have fun.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679067 by Brachenland
The ideal as a new photographer is to purchase kits lenses just to familiarize yourself with what lens works best at what setting and what distance. As an artist who's always had a camera in my hands since the 60's I've grown out of using kit or multiple range lenses for my shots. I'm sticking more toward print or fixed lenses for my images. I wouldn't suggest that you jump right into these fixed lenses but seems you've already acquired 2.

The 50mm is ideal for all types of walk about shots, but for portraits, you best consider the 85mm lens. I'd get rid of the 50mm /f1.4 for an 85mm 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #681445 by Aaron Rogers
:thumbsup:  I am learning reading the comments as well. 

4 years 2 weeks ago #681492 by keith1955
Thanks for feedback i guess i made a mistake getting the 50mm 1.8 but then most people make some sort of purchasing mistake from time to time. At least knowbody said i waste £2,000 on the zoom. I  have now purchased the 28 to 105 that will give me more flexibility right un to the starting range of the big lens.

But thanks to corona virus i have only been able to test it in my garden , ref to corona virus , stay safe , in a circle of 16 bungalows i have lost 2 neighbours

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024