What was Canon thinking with the Canon EOS 5D Mark III???

12 years 2 months ago #207011 by Chipper
Anyone else expecting more from Canon with this camera? I would have thought the camera would have had better specs.

:blink:

12 years 2 months ago #207016 by Baydream
h "Specs" often don't mean diddly. It's the performance that counts. Seen good reviews and not so good.
Just because a new car has 650 HP doesn't mean it's a world beater. The proof is on the road.

I personally won't be in the market for a multi-thousand $ camera any time soon so reading a bunch of specs doesn't mean squat to me. Like reading the mileage figures on a Hummer.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #207217 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: h "Specs" often don't mean diddly. It's the performance that counts. Seen good reviews and not so good.
Just because a new car has 650 HP doesn't mean it's a world beater. The proof is on the road.

I personally won't be in the market for a multi-thousand $ camera any time soon so reading a bunch of specs doesn't mean squat to me. Like reading the mileage figures on a Hummer.

Spoken like a true Canon user. :patriot:

:p
12 years 1 month ago #207248 by KCook

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Baydream wrote: h "Specs" often don't mean diddly. It's the performance that counts. Seen good reviews and not so good.

Ooof! :catfight:

For my purposes most DSLR cameras are already overspeced. I was very surprised that the physical controls for the 5D III are so similar to my 50D. Was expecting more buttons. Zo the menus must be extra deep?

After the 5D III sticker shock I'm looking forward to the 7D replacement ...

cheap Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #207347 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Ooof! :catfight:

For my purposes most DSLR cameras are already overspeced. I was very surprised that the physical controls for the 5D III are so similar to my 50D. Was expecting more buttons. Zo the menus must be extra deep?

After the 5D III sticker shock I'm looking forward to the 7D replacement ...

cheap Kelly

That's one thing I do like about Nikon over Canon (I owned a 40D, 5D, 5DII and 1DIV before going to Nikon). They have more controls on the body than Canon. That said, I think the Canon menu system is a bit easier to navigate.
12 years 1 month ago #207368 by KCook
And the menus on my Sony A200 were even easier than my Canon 50D. But Sony now seems to have excused itself from the serious camera market. Oh well.

K

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #207369 by Stealthy Ninja

KCook wrote: And the menus on my Sony A200 were even easier than my Canon 50D. But Sony now seems to have excused itself from the serious camera market. Oh well.

K

LOL Sony should just give up and start making menus for Nikon.
12 years 1 month ago #207372 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

KCook wrote: And the menus on my Sony A200 were even easier than my Canon 50D. But Sony now seems to have excused itself from the serious camera market. Oh well.

K

PSP Vita is one sweet machine.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #207378 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

K

PSP Vita is one sweet machine.

Oh man, once I get the D800 and manage to put a little money aside for things, I'll get one.
12 years 1 month ago #208122 by luckywish1
i thought that canon you can use all canon lens boy was i wrong. i buy a fd canon lens thinking it would fit my lens well i had to buy a adapter for it so that was more money in to the camera too lol i just know that i won't do that again

12 years 1 month ago #208730 by Scotty
Talking to Art Wolfe with Jay Beckman (on Facebook). Art had this to say about the new offerings from both parties.

The new camera backs coming out are very exciting - I'm anxious to see the high ISO performance of the 1DX and have heard from Gavriel Jecan that 3200 could well be as sharp as today's 400 and even 6400 was very acceptable. I'm also keeping an eye on the Nikon D800, 36 mp is very attractive for obvious reasons, we'll just have to see how it compares at higher ISO once some reviewers get their hands on them. I've not looked into the 5DMIII however but there's been a lot of talk about it. I will upgrade from my 1DS3M3, just not sure to what at this point.-Art Wolfe

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #208826 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote: Talking to Art Wolfe with Jay Beckman (on Facebook). Art had this to say about the new offerings from both parties.

The new camera backs coming out are very exciting - I'm anxious to see the high ISO performance of the 1DX and have heard from Gavriel Jecan that 3200 could well be as sharp as today's 400 and even 6400 was very acceptable. I'm also keeping an eye on the Nikon D800, 36 mp is very attractive for obvious reasons, we'll just have to see how it compares at higher ISO once some reviewers get their hands on them. I've not looked into the 5DMIII however but there's been a lot of talk about it. I will upgrade from my 1DS3M3, just not sure to what at this point.-Art Wolfe

Wow. Art Wolfe potentially going nikon. :thumbsup:
12 years 1 month ago #214821 by KCook
Continuous AF sequences with the 5D III and telephoto lenses. I'm impressed -

blog.akimagery.com/2012/03/more-5d-mark-iii-autofocus.html

(posted on FM)
Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 1 month ago #214829 by Scotty

KCook wrote: Continuous AF sequences with the 5D III and telephoto lenses. I'm impressed -

blog.akimagery.com/2012/03/more-5d-mark-iii-autofocus.html

(posted on FM)
Kelly

My buddy has a 5d Mark III and loves it.

I just think they were way too late on the AF, but it's a good cam.

If you wanna see people getting heated, wait till the DxO reports come out for it.

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #214841 by KCook
No heat here. I ignore DxO. Completely :lol:

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024