why mac?

12 years 6 months ago #156526 by HyperJ
Why is it people who have macs say they are better then pc?
I don't want to know opinions or "because it is". I would like to know the facts. What is so great about a mac compare to a pc?

12 years 6 months ago #156533 by butterflygirl921
If the windows 8 system stays the same with the start screen then a lot of people will be switching to macs

12 years 6 months ago #156584 by Zezzer

butterflygirl921 wrote: If the windows 8 system stays the same with the start screen then a lot of people will be switching to macs

What do you mean by the start screen?

If the new Windows 8 OS, stays like Windows 7, people would be switching to a mac? Why?
How would a computer look make the decision if people switch. Shouldn't it be how a computer performs, determine the switch from pc to mac?

12 years 6 months ago #156620 by butterflygirl921

Zezzer wrote:

butterflygirl921 wrote: If the windows 8 system stays the same with the start screen then a lot of people will be switching to macs

If the new Windows 8 OS, stays like Windows 7, people would be switching to a mac? Why?
How would a computer look make the decision if people switch. Shouldn't it be how a computer performs, determine the switch from pc to mac?

The start screen is now like an app page and is targeted for touch screen computers only. There is no way to get the traditional start menu back. Its not like windows 7 microsoft is now targeting toward touch screens and not for basic computers anymore.

12 years 6 months ago #156685 by Kenya See
I think it's more preference. Personally I like the flow of things on a Mac more than I do on my PC.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156762 by cod
One difference is that out-of-the-box Macs use In-Plane-Switching or IPS LCD screens. These tend to give better color range and contrast than the other common type, Twisted Nematic, or TN LCD screens. They are also more expensive. Most PC users who don't know the difference buy cheaper TN screens. That's why photos "look better" on Macs. It's also partly why Macs are more expensive than "equivalent" PCs. One can buy IPS monitors for PCs, making the image quality just as good, and the prices closer.

Macs are more self-contained. They come with a lot of components and software that are designed to work together. PCs can be more piecemeal, with components from many manufacturers at varying quality. That's partly because there are way more options available for PCs. Customizing a PC to suit specific needs can require a little more tech knowledge. Macs, with fewer options, and with the provided components being quality, don't usually need much customization and are therefore considered easier to use, particularly by less tech savvy users.

I personally don't buy into the Mac vs PC argument. They are different tools that can achieve the same ends. In my experience most complaints about the other camp arise from lack of familiarity. I'm a PC user. I don't like the way Macs configure windows and I find the tools confusing. That's because I'm not used to working that way, not because PCs are better. I'm sure I'd quickly adapt to a Mac if I had to.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 6 months ago #156796 by Scotty

butterflygirl921 wrote:

Zezzer wrote:

The start screen is now like an app page and is targeted for touch screen computers only. There is no way to get the traditional start menu back. Its not like windows 7 microsoft is now targeting toward touch screens and not for basic computers anymore.

They stated soon as windows 8 was announced that you could use the same GUI as windows 7 and vista, or the new one. The new one is mainly in there for tablet setups.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156804 by mj~shutterbugg
I have used both PC and Mac. I am currently on PC as that is what my budget would allow. Programs work similar in each but require some learning curve.

I will 2nd they are all in one for the less tech savvy. Apples are very proprietary. You can't get discount Apple parts you must usually buy from Apple or an authorized dealer. It is a quality control thing. I love Mac's and long to switch back to Mac I just can't afford it. Mac's tend to have less bugs, if they do you can usually get Apple to help fix them for free. They are less prone to virus', I think there are like 5 virus' that target Macs, and those are mainly through it's word programs.

However when a Mac dies- it's really dead. They don't break in small easy to fix problems- they require a service professional licensed by Apple to repair one. My macbook broke and it was less expensive to buy a new one then to repair the old one. Also, Mac's aren't plug and play- you can't boost memory or RAM without voiding your warranty. If a DVD drive or piece or RAM corrupts you must use Apple's repair service or you void any recourse from Apple. This is unlike a PC which has numerous outlets for RAM, drives, etc and can just get plugged in without voiding what was originally purchased.

I hope that made some sense.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #156807 by Scotty

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I have used both PC and Mac. I am currently on PC as that is what my budget would allow. Programs work similar in each but require some learning curve.

I will 2nd they are all in one for the less tech savvy. Apples are very proprietary. You can't get discount Apple parts you must usually buy from Apple or an authorized dealer. It is a quality control thing. I love Mac's and long to switch back to Mac I just can't afford it. Mac's tend to have less bugs, if they do you can usually get Apple to help fix them for free. They are less prone to virus', I think there are like 5 virus' that target Macs, and those are mainly through it's word programs.

However when a Mac dies- it's really dead. They don't break in small easy to fix problems- they require a service professional licensed by Apple to repair one. My macbook broke and it was less expensive to buy a new one then to repair the old one. Also, Mac's aren't plug and play- you can't boost memory or RAM without voiding your warranty. If a DVD drive or piece or RAM corrupts you must use Apple's repair service or you void any recourse from Apple. This is unlike a PC which has numerous outlets for RAM, drives, etc and can just get plugged in without voiding what was originally purchased.

You can upgrade your RAM and Hard drives without voiding the warranty. I've done so on about 4 macbook pros now.

If any computer dies it's really dead. You don't need authorized apple parts for their desktops, since there is no such thing. It's the case and the OS....everything else is the same stuff windows PC's are made out of.

All laptops when they die are pretty screwed because the motherboard is all intergrated..save a few things such as ram and hard drives.

I've upgraded video cards, ram, processors, hard drives, even power supplies for mac pro's from new egg with ease.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156808 by mj~shutterbugg

Scotty wrote:

mj~shutterbugg wrote: I have used both PC and Mac. I am currently on PC as that is what my budget would allow. Programs work similar in each but require some learning curve.

You can upgrade your RAM and Hard drives without voiding the warranty. I've done so on about 4 macbook pros now.

If any computer dies it's really dead. You don't need authorized apple parts for their desktops, since there is no such thing. It's the case and the OS....everything else is the same stuff windows PC's are made out of.

All laptops when they die are pretty screwed because the motherboard is all intergrated..save a few things such as ram and hard drives.

I've upgraded video cards, ram, processors, hard drives, even power supplies for mac pro's from new egg with ease.

Really? They kept telling me to buy a new one and that if I did anything personally I was SOL. Good to know.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 6 months ago #156810 by Scotty
You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty.

Apple's warranty states:
"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

Warning: Due to the risk of exposure to potentially lethal voltages, you should not under any circumstances separate the plastics of any computer that includes a cathode-ray tube (CRT) in its design, such as the iMac. Only an Apple Authorized Service Provider should separate the plastics of these computers to install an upgrade or make a repair.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #156815 by chakkaradeep

mj~shutterbugg wrote: Really? They kept telling me to buy a new one and that if I did anything personally I was SOL. Good to know.

From my experience - parts like RAM/Hard Disk are not an issue at all. It is very easy to swap them in iMac as well as Macbook/Pro. The issue is when you break the screen which is going to be very expensive to replace :huh: - These all are same if you go buy a branded PC/laptop like Dell/HP etc., - On the other hand, if you are building your own, then you have control over every thing! :)

You should always check for compatibility though - but that accounts for any computer - PC or Mac.

The other thing is, you may be charged a bit more for Mac repairs - I do not know why.

Cheers,
Chaks

12 years 6 months ago #156819 by Scotty

chakkaradeep wrote:

mj~shutterbugg wrote: Really? They kept telling me to buy a new one and that if I did anything personally I was SOL. Good to know.

From my experience - parts like RAM/Hard Disk are not an issue at all. It is very easy to swap them in iMac as well as Macbook/Pro. The issue is when you break the screen which is going to be very expensive to replace :huh: - These all are same if you go buy a branded PC/laptop like Dell/HP etc., - On the other hand, if you are building your own, then you have control over every thing! :)

You should always check for compatibility though - but that accounts for any computer - PC or Mac.

The other thing is, you may be charged a bit more for Mac repairs - I do not know why.

Monitors as mentioned are usually IPS which would indicate a higher price in purchase and in repair.

As far as controlling what monitor you can buy from building your own...when you get a mac pro, you don't have to buy their monitor. You can go to a reputable dealer and get your own. iMac and the laptops is the only time when you have to get their monitors.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #156874 by No Show
Plus you look cooler with a Mac :whistle:

D300| Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 | Nikkor 70-200mm VR 2.8 | Nikkor 50mm 1.8 | Nikon 2x Teleconverter | Sigma 105mm 2.8 | Tokina 12-24
Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #157000 by geoffellis
a large part of it is also MacOS vs Windows... not just Mac vs PC. The mac computer IS a pc... just with usually higher end, even proprietary hardware.

The real difference is between Windows, and MacOS

1. Think about it. Apple needs to only support hardware they put in their machine. thats a limited number of hardware drivers and possible conflicts that will cause a crash. on the other hand microsoft attempts to include the software and drivers for THOUSANDS of pieces of hardware. not all of which play nice with each other. each of those hardware vendors also releases driver updates that may not play nice with windows

2. MacOS is based on Unix/Linux. Windows was based on DOS. Now MS did a full rewrite with their NT core... so not as much of an issue... however Linux is considered by many? to be a far superior system... with features that still exceed windows. its just not all that user friendly at times. Mac has taken Linux and made it user friendly but retained the features that make linux so awesome. security, file systems, etc

there are tons of reasons why macos is better, imho... and there a few reasons why windows is better... pretty much just got to decide which features mean more to you lol

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024