thinking about switching brands

13 years 7 months ago #1770 by majorjackie
I have been a Pentax man and have built a system of bodies, lenses, flashes and all sort of accessories related to Pentax for years, but I have been eying the D90 for some time. Do you think I should change or still keep on going with the Pentax system? I must say, my K10D is true a work horse and is very robust in any weather conditions and it does give me very good images, but the lens from Nikon has that little bit extra crispness. Also I will be in a position of using higher ISO's with the D90 without much noise creeping in. Any advice on what I should do?

13 years 3 months ago #17668 by Baydream
Get the D90 and keep the Pentax as a backup camera, at least until you build your "stable" of new lenses.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 1 week ago #47998 by CarusoPhoto
I'd say you should check out thePentax K-5. The low light capabilities of this fab camera are quite good. I've shot at very high ISO with amazing results. It's built like a tank, weather sealed, dust sealed, useable in very cold conditions, and, of course, you already have a stable of lenses. As for the lenses, you may notice a difference with the updated body. Also, with the money you were going to invest in new Nikon lenses, you coul pick up some mighty nice DA* lenses or even a set of the terrific DA Limited primes.

Just a thought.

13 years 4 days ago #50215 by Henry Peach
See if you can rent and try before you buy. There are a lot of online rental sites these days. I know I'll be doing that before I buy my next expensive lens.
13 years 4 days ago #50261 by Screamin Scott
You should be able to get an adapter to mount Nikon Lenses on your Pentax (IIRC) should you want to go that route...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 days ago #50294 by Stealthy Ninja
Don't get the D90. It's pretty much been replaced by the D7000. The D7000 is a much better camera.
13 years 4 days ago #50304 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Don't get the D90. It's pretty much been replaced by the D7000. The D7000 is a much better camera.

Agreed, d7000 takes it to another league.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 2 days ago #51165 by Joves
Well if you like the idea that you can use legacy lenses then Nikon is the one that is most like Pentax in that reguard. With the exception of a few you can use almost every lens that Nikon made for the F-mount. It is alot like the PK lenses for Pentax, I know I used to shoot Pentax with film. Fact is I still have my MX with a 50mm on it.

12 years 11 months ago #54598 by Cappy
Nothing wrong with switching brands. Just whatever you switch to make sure it's a camera you are comfortable with.

12 years 7 months ago #148069 by rob vorderman
I totally agree with CarusoPhoto.
Switching brands is not cheap. If money is of no concern at least wait and see when Nikon release the D400.

Rob.

12 years 7 months ago #148083 by Justin Black
I also recommend the Nikon D7000 without hesitation. It is superb.

Justin Black
Visionary Wild – workshops and travel for the passionate photographer
visionarywild.com

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #148983 by Stealthy Ninja
YEs since I posted above about the D7000 I got one. Nice camera for sure.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024