Taking the Leap to DSLR

12 years 2 weeks ago #218940 by GiraffeSpots
Help! I'm overwhelmed. All of the model names and features, it's a whole nother world shopping for a "real" camera. Then my friend mentioned I should try a micro four thirds and my head spun even more. :pinch:

How bout I say what I want and what I'm using it for and I get some recommendations?

I'm a mom and I grow my own organic vegetables. So I want a camera that I can use for portraits and close-ups of my garden veggies. From what I've seen, the lenses on the DSLR are more limiting in that respect than a point and shoot, but maybe I'm wrong?

No aspirations of being a professional or anything, just want better looking photos so would def want to keep the price around or under 800.

Thanks all!

12 years 2 weeks ago #218983 by Baydream
It can truly be a "head spinner". In all likelihood, your best bet would be to look at Canon and Nikon. The micro 4/3s have a smaller sensor than the "crop" (APS-C) models of both of the top two. The Canon T3 and the Nikon D3100 both sell for about $800 with an 18-55 lens. The Canon T2i with a 18-135 lens in about $850.
This page has a "Compare" feature to let you see model features side-by-side and check user reviews.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?mxp=900&at...egory-_-DSLR_Cameras
At least it's a place to start.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 weeks ago #219005 by Cre8tivefix
You might look into buying used to meet your proposed budget. :) That way if it's not exactly what you wanted you can upgrade later without as much guilt. Plus it will give you a chance to figure out what are important features to you.

I would look into Canon or Nikon being two very popular user friendly brands and being very available on the new and used market. And a "Nifty Fifty" is a great affordable lens for both portrait and product pictures.

Good luck narrowing it down a little.

12 years 2 weeks ago - 12 years 2 weeks ago #219020 by KCook
The "kit" lens that comes standard with a Micro4/3 or DSLR will be more limiting than the ultrazoom that is built into a SLR-like point & shoot. Of course the trick is that you are not limited to one lens with the more expensive cameras. If you like to research, links to lots more thoughts on camera selection -

www.photographytalk.com/forum/photograph...-you-buy-your-camera

anandasim.blogspot.com/2011/05/making-up...d-on-new-camera.html

www.clearingthevision.com/2012/01/mirror...eady-for-prime-time/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 weeks ago #219097 by deemarie
Whatever you decide make sure to be price-savvy as the entry level dslrs lie Nikon and canon can be found a little over 600.00 with a kit lens! (not sure where you're located but look at the venders listed here for reputable online purchasing)

Another option if you are not interested in investing in gear or more lenses and would enjoy having a nice shooting camera in general is to look at the bridge cameras available, they are less expensive and some have awesome macro/zoom ability:)

deemarie
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cre8tivefix
12 years 2 weeks ago #219139 by Henry Peach
You don't want micro 4/3rds. Probably be more expensive than a DSLR. Smaller size is it's only real advantage over a DSLR.

It would be hard to go wrong with any Canon or Nikon DSLR from the last 6 or 7 years, or the other well know brands from the last 4 or 5 years. The advertisers are constantly cracking the whip saying that yesterday is obsolete, but don't fall for it. An "ancient" 8mp Nikon or Canon DSLR is quite capable. The cameras at the link below rock!

Canon sells DSLR kits they have refurbished for under $500. There may be similar offers from other brands.

shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...0051_10051_-1_29252#

I would start with a standard kit. Just use it a while before spending more money.
12 years 2 weeks ago #219151 by mj~shutterbugg
:agree: :goodpost: If you are just starting and want to photograph veggies a DSLR would be your best bet, in my opinion. I think a nifty fifty/ 50mm lens would be good but you may want to consider a dedicated macro lens for your specific needs. A good macro can be used as a regular lens as well as shoot details for macro work.

I did some price research at KEH.com-very good place to use for used equipment. I also shoot Canon so I based my research off of that as I know the product line better, I do not know much about Nikon except that it is a very good choice as well.

Canon 40D body only in like new- condition; www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Camera-...-DC029990977590?r=FE

A compact macro 50mm (it shoots macro and is a 50mm fixed, I own the newer version of this lens and love it.: www.keh.com/camera/Canon-EOS-Fixed-Focal...-CE06999047080N?r=FE

You can also check bhphotovideo.com & adorama.com, both are extremely reliable and safe to order from.

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 2 weeks ago #219180 by GiraffeSpots
Oh my goodness what wonderful responses! Thank you all so so much!!

Good to know I can knock the micros out of the running seeing as so many of you said no to that idea. I think I'll just stick with Canon then (since I have one already) so I can make that simple.

Oh I can't wait!!! :drool:

12 years 2 weeks ago #219187 by KCook
For Canon selection, the Live View LCD feature may be key. The earliest models lack this entirely. When it did first appear in Canon DSLR, not so hot. My 50D has this feature, but it's performance is lame, to put it charitably. So, if LV is a biggie for you, try for one of the latest models, they have improved. Unfortunately, they could also be a budget buster.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 days ago #222621 by GiraffeSpots

KCook wrote: For Canon selection, the Live View LCD feature may be key. The earliest models lack this entirely. When it did first appear in Canon DSLR, not so hot. My 50D has this feature, but it's performance is lame, to put it charitably. So, if LV is a biggie for you, try for one of the latest models, they have improved. Unfortunately, they could also be a budget buster.

Kelly

That's not a problem, I hate having to look at a screen in the sunlight. Much prefer a viewfinder.

Thanks!

12 years 2 days ago #222638 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 2 days ago #222701 by shelland
It might be worth stepping foot in a store and hold a few, and see what feels best to YOU. My wife and I both preferred the feel of Canon when we made the upgrade a couple years ago. Others obviously prefer Nikon.

In general, you'd probably be more than happy with either. If you have any friends/family with a DSLR, it might be worth going with the same brand so you can get tips and maybe even borrow some lenses. :)

Good luck!

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024