Gimp 2.6 vs Photoshop CS5

13 years 3 weeks ago #42080 by Foggy
So Gimp 2.6 is free and Photoshop CS5 you need to take a 2nd mortgage out to buy. :rofl: Just messing around Adobe! ;)

Seriously, has anyone ever done a side by side comparison? I was going to down load Gimp, but was warned that free software are prone to virus attacks?

Anyone ever have any security problems with Gimp?

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #42094 by Cre8tivefix
Pros
I've been using Gimp for about 2 years now with no problems. You can do a lot of the same things that photoshop can do and it has a similar layout and tools. There is a large library of plug in for it, and effect filters, and those are also free. So being FREE and those other things are major bonuses in my book. Also if you really want it do something specific that is doesn't already do... you can try your had at writing that script or editing the program yourself. And once again... it's FREE and you don't loose anything to try it.

Cons
it is an 8 bit program where as photoshop is 16 bit, So PS is definitely a higher powered program. Most of these differences won't show up in on screen but will if you are trying to make a high quality large picture and then depending on the pictures itself, sometimes you can tell, sometimes you can't (personally my eye is not that discerning yet). The latest PS has some really nice features like it's smart cloning/filling and things like that, that Gimp doesn't have yet. The plug ins and effects aren't typically as polished as their equivalents in PS would be. There are more PS users, so it's easier to find help and resources for PS. And finally because there aren't as many plugins and filters, you have to learn how to achieve many of the looks and effects manually. This is a plus and a minus. It's good to actually know what is going on, but it takes longer.

If I had the spare money laying around I would love to get photoshop, but for now I'm very happy with Gimp. If it's being open source bothers you, just make sure you are downloading it from it's official source. Keep up to date protection on your computer as you should be doing anyway, and don't go downloading plugins and scripts from crazy sources unless you are willing to risk it. That would go the same for PS downloads I'm sure. Maybe there is a PS trial or demo you can try to see them side by side. Good luck.

13 years 3 weeks ago #42099 by Baydream
I have been experimenting with Corel Paintshop Photo Pro X3. It functions a lot like PS at 10% of the cost (I paid $80 for a boxed unit). There is an upgrade but I need to learn this one first. The only downside so far is lack of classes but I found the "Picture Yourself Learning CPPP X3" and it does a good job of taking you step by step.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #42109 by chasrich
I use Paint Shop Pro as well. So far what I have read about in Photo Shop there is a matching function in PSP. I'm running X2 ATM but I normally upgrade every other time. I think my first install was on version 4...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 3 weeks ago #42110 by Scotty
The industry uses photoshop, and for good reason. If you can make another program work for you for a lot cheaper, more power to you. it's all about results in the end anyways.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 weeks ago #42116 by Zafonia
I've been using Gimp for about 2 1/2 years and just can't seem to let go of 800.00 for PS so I continue to use it. Also there are free brushes on line for both. just down load the brushes in a file and put them into gimp when needed they do slow down the loading time of gimp, but they are also a must have. I just made a file in documents for them and then when I need I I go to my program files> Gimp> share>gimp>2.0>brushes. Very simple and gimp still loades fast. You should try Gimp and see if you like it before you spend al of your money on PS.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024