HDR?

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125024 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: HDR?

Topaz filter. So pseudo. Basically just messed with aggressive sharpening and messes with saturations is my guess. Problem is when you have a noisy picture to begin with, you get that glob type texture on some things.

I'll post it unedited for reference.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125026 by MLKstudios
I like it. I asked because you can make out detail in the dark parts of the stairs AND the windows. Good eye!

Seeing and controlling contrast in an image is an advanced level of photography. Most just hope they get good color and contrast. Knowing how to control it is a real skill. It requires looking for detail in the right places while really nailing an exposure.

Bravo, Scotty!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125027 by Scotty

Unedited.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125028 by MLKstudios
The Topaz was a nice touch. I'm surprised there is that much DR in your original. What camera do you shoot?

BTW I don't know much about actions, plugins, and other purchases used for editing. I use my eyes only. Maybe I should splurge one day, and get a few.

You see, I'm really OLD school. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125033 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: The Topaz was a nice touch. I'm surprised there is that much DR in your original. What camera do you shoot?

BTW I don't know much about actions, plugins, and other purchases used for editing. I use my eyes only. Maybe I should splurge one day, and get a few.

You see, I'm really OLD school. :)

I only usually get plugins and filters to reverse engineer them. I like doing it all by hand, so I can have complete control and maximize the effect.

Nikon D3s. ISO 8000 f/8 1/250th, Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR II.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125034 by Scotty

When you do a black and white, you can start to see the grain(look at the pillar on the right), especially if you pixel peep a bit. But I agree..the amount of DR at that high ISO is astounding. Digital has come a long way.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125079 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote: Just wanted to point out. This was shot at ISO 8000.

Is that all? Meh. 12800 is where it's at.

Pretty much. :slapface:

I was forced to shoot 12800 at that wedding I fell into shooting the other day. I wish I brought my flash along that day. Oh well lesson learnt and the pics turned out good enough.

It's crazy how well 12,800 looks. The D4 is going to be disgusting.

Amen brother.
12 years 8 months ago #125107 by Stealthy Ninja

MLKstudios wrote: The Topaz was a nice touch. I'm surprised there is that much DR in your original. What camera do you shoot?

The D3s has a 12 stop range at iso 100. At iso 8000 the DR would be about 8 stops I think. Still much better than film would be at 8000asa LOL.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125111 by MLKstudios
An E.I. of 8000 would be a 1000 ISO film with a 3 stop push. So it's possible. And I'm also sure the grain would scream at you.

Maybe good for an effect. Not good for normal photography though.

I thought Scotty shot with a pro level Nikon. The DR is quite nice. :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125121 by Alex
Awesome job bro!

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125122 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: An E.I. of 8000 would be a 1000 ISO film with a 3 stop push. So it's possible. And I'm also sure the grain would scream at you.

Maybe good for an effect. Not good for normal photography though.

I thought Scotty shot with a pro level Nikon. The DR is quite nice. :)

Yes. The D3s is an astounding tool. I eventually want to use a H4D series Blad. I'm waiting to see where the D4X falls in line with the 39 MP range H4D's.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125130 by MLKstudios
The Blad H has 48 bits (16-bit x 3) and the current Nikons max out at 42 (14-bit x 3). I'm going to grab a 39mp or similar back for my V system. I'd like an 80mp Leaf, with rotation, but the price is WAY up there:

www.leaf-photography.com/products_aptus2.asp

To give you an idea of my Hassy gear, I have most all the Zeiss optics from their 30mm fisheye to 250mm Super APO, plus every macro tool, 4 bodies, including a tilt shift body and a gold model. Also an X-Pan for fun. I used it for my final Kodachrome images, along with a Leica R6.2. **

That means moving to the H series isn't even a thought right now. I just want to digitize the H system I already have. But for some things, Nikon's 35mm format is a bonus. But, I expect a big WOW when opening my first 39mp Hassy RAW.

:)

** The last rolls of Kodachrome made went to Steve McCurry, I read somewhere. He took the green eyed Afghani girl shot for Nat Geo. Likely shot on Kodachrome. I miss some films, and that was one of the great ones to die.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125132 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: The Blad H has 48 bits (16-bit x 3) and the Nikons max out at 42 (14-bit x 3). I'm going to grab a 39mp or similar back for my V system. I'd like an 80mp Leaf, with rotation, but the price is WAY up there:

www.leaf-photography.com/products_aptus2.asp

To give you an idea of my Hassy gear, I have most all the Zeiss optics from their 30mm fisheye to 250mm Super APO, plus every macro tool, 4 bodies, including a tilt shift body and a gold model. Also an X-Pan for fun.

They all fit nicely in a very large Pelican case with wheels. Like 2.5x3x4 feet big.

That means moving to the H series isn't even a thought right now. I just want to digitize the H system I already have. But for some things, Nikon's 35mm format is a bonus. But, I expect a big WOW when opening my first 39mp Hassy RAW.

:)

I edit H4D-60 files (60 mp Blad 3F raws). They're pretty crazy. That's one of the things about me thinking of going blad is i'd have to go into a full system and that's going to be crazy expensive at this point. I can get an entry H series digital Blad used for pretty cheap. The lenses on the other hand..you know the rest.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125134 by MLKstudios
Who do you work with who shoots with an H4D-60? Not many ever reach that level. It's simply the price that blows most people away. Like 5x the cost of the house I grew up in.

Is editing your stock and trade?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024