Stairs

12 years 8 months ago #125463 by MLKstudios
You could say professional relationships are a type of marketing. But there is always a personal touch to them. When large sums are involved.

That's been my experience, anyway. :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #125467 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: You could say professional relationships are a type of marketing. But there is always a personal touch to them. When large sums are involved.

That's been my experience, anyway. :)

Agreed it's a part of marketing. Marketing is huge these days.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125470 by MLKstudios
Your images are your marketing tools. You won't see "Hire me, I'm a pro photographer" billboards on Sunset Blvd. But, you will see some great pics used in ads. If someone is interested, they find you from your work.

:)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125471 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Your images are your marketing tools. You won't see "Hire me, I'm a pro photographer" billboards on Sunset Blvd. But, you will see some great pics used in ads. If someone is interested, they find you from your work.

Kind of.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125473 by MLKstudios
We used to send out sample cards in snail mail, but I haven't seen anyone use those for awhile. Everything is web based now.

This is how some pros work. Rated M, for Mature (chas will like this):

Warning, bad humor in very poor taste below.

The Smiths were unable to conceive children and decided to use a surrogate father to start their family. On the day the proxy father was to arrive, Mr. Smith kissed his wife goodbye and said, 'Well, I'm off now. The man should be here soon.'

Half an hour later, just by chance, a door-to-door baby photographer happened to ring the doorbell, hoping to make a sale. 'Good morning, Ma'am', he said, 'I've come to...'

'Oh, no need to explain,' Mrs. Smith cut in, embarrassed, 'I've been expecting you.'

'Have you really?' said the photographer. 'Well, that's good. Did you know babies are my specialty?'

'Well that's what my husband and I had hoped. Please come in and have a seat'.

After a moment she asked, blushing, 'Well, where do we start?'

'Leave everything to me. I usually try two in the bathtub, one on the couch, and perhaps a couple on the bed. And sometimes the living room floor is fun. You can really spread out there.'

'Bathtub, living room floor? No wonder it didn't work out for Harry and me!'

'Well, Ma'am, none of us can guarantee a good one every time. But if we try several different positions and I shoot from six or seven angles, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.'

'My, that's a lot!', gasped Mrs. Smith.

'Ma'am, in my line of work a man has to take his time. I'd love to be In and out in five minutes, but I'm sure you'd be disappointed with that.'

'Don't I know it,' said Mrs. Smith quietly.

The photographer opened his briefcase and pulled out a portfolio of his baby pictures. 'This was done on the top of a bus,' he said.

'Oh, my word!' Mrs. Smith exclaimed, grasping at her throat.

'And these twins turned out exceptionally well - when you consider their mother was so difficult to work with.'

'She was difficult?' asked Mrs. Smith.

'Yes, I'm afraid so. I finally had to take her to the park to get the job done right. People were crowding around four and five deep to get a good look'

'Four and five deep?' said Mrs. Smith, her eyes wide with amazement.

'Yes', the photographer replied. 'And for more than three hours, too. The mother was constantly squealing and yelling - I could hardly concentrate, and when darkness approached I had to rush my shots. Finally, when the squirrels began nibbling on my equipment, I just had to pack it all in.'

Mrs. Smith leaned forward. 'Do you mean they actually chewed on your, uh...equipment?'

'It's true, Ma'am, yes. Well, if you're ready, I'll set-up my tripod and we can get to work right away.'

'Tripod?'

'Oh yes, Ma'am. I need to use a tripod to rest my Canon on. It's much too big to be held in the hand very long.'

;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125476 by Scotty
lol I know how the pro's work. I am one, and work with them on a daily basis (except for now, god bless vacations).

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125479 by Scotty
Onto more important things...

click on me for more important things

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125529 by icepics
When's the full moon over? lol

Well if I'd really wanted that kind of money I probably would have chosen a different career path than teaching special ed. True, renting could be an option for equipment. And I found when I was shooting hockey I'd get questions and would you do me a favor type requests etc. so yeah, I think that your photos can more or less sell themselves. Either that or crazed hockey fans are just fanatic for hockey pictures. And if you're at ice level w/a camera people think you're the information booth.

Now on to new glass huh?

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125577 by MLKstudios
Photography covers everything we humans are interested in and there is always a market for ANYTHING you can photograph. For example, if you like model trains, you can make a living photographing HO's.

There are publications for just about every hobby and interest. The market is huge, but the number of people with a camera is bigger. You only have to be a little better than the average bear to get your work published. And you need to contact them showing your interest to be published. Still, your pics will land you the job. Not because you have an L lens, or not.

Of course the bigger publishers with bigger audiences have a bigger pool to pick from. You have to be really good to climb above that pack.

But selling work has nothing to do with how fancy your gear is or how many ads you put out. Simply take good pics, and they will sell themselves. If you're any good, people will soon ask you, "How much do you want to take my pic"? Or more often, "Do you shoot weddings"?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126809 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Photography covers everything we humans are interested in and there is always a market for ANYTHING you can photograph. For example, if you like model trains, you can make a living photographing them.

There are publications for just about every hobby and interest. The market is huge, but the number of people with a camera is bigger. You only have to be a little better than the average bear to get your work published. And you need to contact them showing your interest to be published. Still, your pics will land you the job. Not because you have an L lens, or not.

Of course the bigger publishers with bigger audiences have a bigger pool to pick from. You have to be really good to climb above that pack.

But selling work has nothing to do with how fancy your gear is or how many ads you put out. Simply take good pics, and they will sell themselves. If you're any good, people will soon ask you, "How much do you want to take my pic"? Or more often, "Do you shoot weddings"?

Cream rises to the top.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126814 by MLKstudios
Scotty and shadow, PhaseOne is offering a $7K discount:

www.phaseone.com/en/Camera-Systems/645DF/645DF-Info.aspx

Only $30K. Get them while they're hot! ;)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024