Stairs

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125136 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Who do you work with who shoots with an H4D-60? Not many ever reach that level. It's simply the price that blows most people away. Like 5x the cost of the house I grew up in.

Is editing your stock and trade?

Movie studios. I'll leave it at that.

Interested to see what the D4X offers though. Honestly the Blad is probably too much camera for me. I'm not that disciplined yet.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125139 by MLKstudios
OK. I've taught many who light and shoot movie cameras. Plus some of the prettiest girls in HO.

I really like my job! ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #125140 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: OK. I've taught many who light and shoot movie cameras. Plus some of the prettiest girls in HO.

I really like my job! :)

Know Lon Strickland? I think he worked or works still with Lionsgate out in Cali.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125143 by icepics
To go back a few posts... didn't that Nat Geo photographer go back and photograph the woman who was the girl who posed for that famous photo? I thought I read something about it when Dwayne's was developing the last of the Kodachrome. CBS Sunday morning did a special on it, that may be where I saw it.

I got the commemorative T shirt - in Kodak yellow. :rofl: Now back to Blads...

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125145 by MLKstudios
Nope sorry. Am good friends with William Fraker, ASC and John Landis (dir. Animal House, Blues Brothers, etc.). And I know a lot of celebs. Also, I've been invited to a few ASC meetings. You get to meet and greet the real greats of 2D vision. Including the guy who invented the Steadi-Cam and dining with Faye Dunaway.

Was really nice when Jessica Biel took my class. Knock, knock. Hi Jess. Please, do come in! She learned on a Nikon FM2 and posts photography as a hobby on her website now.

This business has shown me a fantastic life. There were plenty of bumps along the way (like hocking my gear to pay rent). But in the end, its been quite a ride.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125148 by MLKstudios
When I first got to HO (Hollywood) A & I did process K-14 (Kodachrome). It was great driving a few miles to get my Kodachrome film processed. But yes, Dwaynes ended up being the ending for K. Kinda sad, but I'll be happy when I can afford a RED Epic:

www.red.com/store/epic/product/epic-m

I doubt I'll be missing film much then. :)

Nat Geo's site will have the history of Steve. I think he did go looking for her at some point. Those green eyes were so beautiful. I'm quite sure almost EVERYONE has seen that pic.

The most reproduced image in the world is Che Guevera, shot with a Leica.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125278 by Scotty
We all dream of RED. Im actually in the market for medium format film for black and white.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125372 by icepics
In the market for the film? - as in looking for it or selling it?

How in the world could anyone afford a 58thou camera!! A company would use it I suppose.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125374 by MLKstudios
Pros use them. There is a level of shooters that few people know about. They make a ton of money, but their names are not well known.

We can all name a handful of film directors -- Hitchcock, Spielberg and etc. But how many famous photographers can you name? In Europe, they know of many. Here, maybe Geddes, Liebowitz, Adams... then nada. Art is not a big part of our culture. Football (and Facebook) is.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125406 by icepics
Now you got me curious - who would use them? Most well known photographers who come to mind are probably dead - Kertesz, Brassai, Mapplethorpe etc. Leibovitz? - think she was going thru bankruptcy, almost sold off rights to her collection. I'm more familiar w/sports photographers - Vincent Laforet, Walter Iooss.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125413 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Pros use them. There is a level of shooters that few people know about. They make a ton of money, but their names are not well known.

We can all name a handful of film directors -- Hitchcock, Spielberg and etc. But how many famous photographers can you name? In Europe, they know of many. Here, maybe Geddes, Liebowitz, Adams... then nada. Art is not a big part of our culture. Football (and Facebook) is.

Matthew :)

Its like ferrari. Who is going to spend 279,000 dollars on a sports car?
Its got a small market that uses it.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125421 by MLKstudios

icepics wrote: Now you got me curious - who would use them? Most well known photographers who come to mind are probably dead - Kertesz, Brassai, Mapplethorpe etc. Leibovitz? - think she was going thru bankruptcy, almost sold off rights to her collection. I'm more familiar w/sports photographers - Vincent Laforet, Walter Iooss.

In short, those who earn a living shooting covers and ads. Commercial photographers.

Many in the "biz" rent or lease their gear. It makes more sense fiscally. Vincent owns RED lenses, but I don't know if he owns the body. He might have the original which runs about $25K -- less than an H4D.

You are more versed in photo history than most. There are but a few FAMOUS ones, and the others are known only by people like us, who spend the time searching them out. Ask a common man (or woman) on the streets of America, and you'll often get a blank stare. They don't know of ANY.

It's a point I make early in my classes. If you want fame and fortune, try another trade. We can see a thousand pictures in a day, and no one knows, or cares, who took them. We just expect good quality work in advertising, and etc.

But, I've made ridiculous amounts as a freelancer. It takes building a clientele and a reputation in certain circles. It isn't how well you market yourself. Those who say that are usually struggling and talking to themselves -- wishing they were better at marketing. It's about establishing relationships.

Or hiring a monkey. A clean one. ;)

I have over $100K in gear gathered over the years. If I sold some I could buy a RED or other high end digital. But, I like my cameras too much to let them go. I'll have to save a bit for the RED.

FYI the $58K is for the body only. The lenses it uses run around $5-10K each. A full kit is closer to $100K.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125446 by icepics
I'd have to hit the lottery bigtime to have either the sports car or that level of photography gear!

I've taken some art over the years too so I probably have studied more art and photography than a lot of people. Commercial photography is an area I don't know a lot about other than looking at PDN occasionally. I didn't know particularly what gear Laforet has used but he does some interesting work.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125454 by MLKstudios
The gear you OWN doesn't matter. It's what (and who) you know. You can always rent or lease the best tools.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #125462 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote:

icepics wrote: Now you got me curious - who would use them? Most well known photographers who come to mind are probably dead - Kertesz, Brassai, Mapplethorpe etc. Leibovitz? - think she was going thru bankruptcy, almost sold off rights to her collection. I'm more familiar w/sports photographers - Vincent Laforet, Walter Iooss.

In short, those who earn a living shooting covers and ads. Commercial photographers.

Many in the "biz" rent or lease their gear. It makes more sense fiscally. Vincent owns RED lenses, but I don't know if he owns the body. He might have the original which runs about $25K -- less than an H4D.

You are more versed in photo history than most. There are but a few FAMOUS ones, and the others are known only by people like us, who spend the time searching them out. Ask a common man (or woman) on the streets of America, and you'll often get a blank stare. They don't know of ANY.

It's a point I make early in my classes. If you want fame and fortune, try another trade. We can see a thousand pictures in a day, and no one knows, or cares, who took them. We just expect good quality work in advertising, and etc.

But, I've made ridiculous amounts as a freelancer. It takes building a clientele and a reputation in certain circles. It isn't how well you market yourself. Those who say that are usually struggling and talking to themselves -- wishing they were better at marketing. It's about establishing relationships.

Or hiring a monkey. A clean one. ;)

I have over $100K in gear gathered over the years. If I sold some I could buy a RED or other high end digital. But, I like my cameras too much to let them go. I'll have to save a bit for the RED.

FYI the $58K is for the body only. The lenses it uses run around $5-10K each. A full kit is closer to $100K.

I agree with relationships, but disagree with marketing.

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024