Waterfall with FEET.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129490 by Scotty
Have at it.

^click to enlarge.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129493 by MLKstudios
Cut off his ear, but much better. ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #129495 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Cut off his ear, but much better. ;)

It was quite a tight fit down by the falls at 24mm. Next time I go back i'm going way back and doing it at 200mm. Live and learn though.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129498 by MLKstudios
Nice what you got here. Notice the lines are better. They lead your eye where you want it to go, and no longer out of the frame.

Also, that orange/red moss (maybe?) on the opposite side looks good. Complements the green

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129504 by Scotty

MLKstudios wrote: Nice what you got here. Notice the lines are better. They lead your eye where you want it to go, and no longer out of the frame.

Also, that orange/red moss (maybe?) on the opposite side looks good. Complements the green

I honestly have no idea what that red was. The water was too deep in that area to go look at it if I remember.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129505 by Scotty

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129507 by Scotty
I really like cutting off important parts of waterfalls for some reason.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #129516 by MLKstudios
You must like tension. Note how, in your second version, the water doesn't yet get to the calm area (as Shanna did in her poem pic of the waterfall). She likes to come back to the calm. You leave us hanging.

Cutting off what you think should be there, leaves us in an unknown territory. We think, what is missing? Why did he leave it (or cut it) out? Is there something there he doesn't want to show us?

Hitchcock was a master at that in films. What you don't see is a lot more scary than what you do see.

Rosemary's Baby is another example. A friend of mine was the DP, and asked Roman, "When are we going to see the baby"? We never do. Just a close up of the eyes at the end.

If that's the message you wish to convey. It works.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #129610 by VT Hiker
I'm going to dream about drowning in a creepy waterfall tonight. :blink:

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 8 months ago #129613 by Baydream

Scotty wrote:

MLKstudios wrote: Nice what you got here. Notice the lines are better. They lead your eye where you want it to go, and no longer out of the frame.

I honestly have no idea what that red was. The water was too deep in that area to go look at it if I remember.

It appears to be iron deposits that have leaked out from under the rock during a heavy flow. Looks cool.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #129614 by Baydream

VT Hiker wrote: I'm going to dream about drowning in a creepy waterfall tonight. :blink:

Hope your waterbed doesn't spring a leak. :woohoo:

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #130060 by canon4me
very pretty....love waterfalls : )

12 years 8 months ago #130147 by Shadowfixer1
Good exposure. Held just enough detail in the water. Nicely done on that part.
12 years 8 months ago #130234 by Scotty

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Good exposure. Held just enough detail in the water. Nicely done on that part.

Thanks, it could be better. If you haven't figured out by now, i'm usually a perfectionist.

I'm going with a small group tomorrow back down to the falls. There's 5 different falls in one area. Last time we went (last year) only 2 were open, there was road construction. So i'm hoping to see what the other 3 are like.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #130329 by Shanna-Marie
Scotty, this is sooo beautiful......as you know, I love waterfalls and any moving water..... If you've got a wider lens, OMG, I would Love to see That! Good luck when you go back, I hope they've got the other falls open. :)

Thank you Matthew, that was a sweet thing to say. For me, it's important to bring things back around so you feel a sense of peace and a sense of closure as well. :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024