I am not having very good luck with my landscapes

12 years 3 months ago #190576 by John37
This is right out of the camera, shot raw and converted to jpg. I'm finding some really nice places to shoot, but the conditions are aweful! Brown grass and hazy skies day after day. :(

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
Attachments:
12 years 3 months ago #190578 by TheNissanMan
Can you try bracketing your shots if tripod and remote so that your taking a minimum of three shots, one over exposed, one under and one spot on and bringing them together so that you have the best of all?

12 years 3 months ago #190579 by John Landolfi
You know about the weather, John. We all talk about it, but few can do anythiong about it. Until it cooperates, why not change your subject? Perhaps try twilight, or dusk, silhouettes, maybe. Must adapt...

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190583 by KCook
Reminds me of some of the country in southern Arizona. I think that particular shot would have worked better had the camera been closer to the subject. Instead of bulking up the distant hills with the telephoto effect.

As a last resort you could try B&W.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190586 by John37
Thanks for the input. I was held at bay by barbed wire. So getting closer will not work. I could try b&w but it's not what I was seeing in my mind. The little house has some color, and I like the line of the little creek. I think I just needed to whine a little! :lol:
the sad part is that this is some of THE prettiest scenes in my area.

12 years 3 months ago #190587 by KCook
Or .... crop out the sky entirely, and rework all the levels.

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #190589 by Scotty
Black and White it.

Do I get a prize? :cheers:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #190591 by Karl Wertanen
No prize for you Scotty! :slapface: Lol

@john37 this looks like an amazing area and I would love to photograph it!! I've spent some tIme in dry open areas that have been devoid of moisture and all colors except the colors of burnt grass :silly: and it's really tough to photograph them in daylight. The light is so HARSH when you have such wide open big sky's and vistas. If I were to shoot this I would do as John Landolfi suggested: twilight and dusk. Not only as the sun is rising ad setting but ALSO before the sun rises and after the sun sets. You don't seem to have a subject problem, it looks like a lack of good lighting problem. I can only imagine the color and texture that can be produced from shooting this subject at the right hours. When you start making light your priority (since you already have an amazing subject) you will amaze your self.

And to be honest, I don't see landscapes like this every day. I live in Michigan and we do not have the mountains and type of farm land like you have. It's easy to get bored with your surroundings and your photographic subjects when you live in them every day and shoot them all the time. You can easily begin to take for granted the beauty of your area because you are so used to it. I don't live in the type of area you photographed. I enjoy looking at your pic!
12 years 3 months ago #190596 by Darrell
Great subject ! The advantage of shooting in raw is the ability it gives you to edit the picture, I would suggest some post work could make that picture pop...

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 3 months ago #190602 by Henry Peach
In this situation I'd take 2 exposures, one for the ground and one for the sky, and blend them in processing. Or use a grad ND filter. In harsh light I'm usually tempted to go BW, and/or turn up the local contrast adjustment (tone map, Topaz Adjust, low percentage/high radius unsharp mask, etc...).
12 years 3 months ago #190633 by Baydream
:agree: , Karl. A different time of day would help. I would also try shooting from near ground level. It might get the trees to extend into the sky. Sometimes a four foot change in the elevation of the camera can make a world of difference. It is a beautiful scene.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 months ago #190712 by John37
Again, thank you for the input. I agree about the time of day. I do need to try other times. I was facing south and it was about 8:30am. It was taken from a highway lined with barbed wire. I tried different angles, different setting etc. I do need to try this at about 5:30 to 6:00pm.
We do have some nice scenery overall, and I will never be a fool to believe I've seen it all. But the bay area is like a museum. Everything, and I mean everything, is roaped off, fenced off and difficult to get to. I need to get more into hiking. I'm getting over the stomach flu right now. But as soon as I get better I'm going to plan a small hike to search out some other subjects. I'll shoot this one at different times too.

12 years 3 months ago #190716 by Karl Wertanen

John37 wrote: Again, thank you for the input. I agree about the time of day. I do need to try other times. I was facing south and it was about 8:30am. It was taken from a highway lined with barbed wire. I tried different angles, different setting etc. I do need to try this at about 5:30 to 6:00pm.
We do have some nice scenery overall, and I will never be a fool to believe I've seen it all. But the bay area is like a museum. Everything, and I mean everything, is roaped off, fenced off and difficult to get to. I need to get more into hiking. I'm getting over the stomach flu right now. But as soon as I get better I'm going to plan a small hike to search out some other subjects. I'll shoot this one at different times too.

Hi John I hope you feel better soon. Stomach flue is nasty.
Have fun exploring. Exploring backcountry is a blast!
12 years 3 months ago #190737 by KCook
Often the best way to cross a wire fence is to wiggle under it, not to try and climb over ....

painful pix

cowboy Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 3 months ago #190758 by MajorMagee
Try it with a polarizing filter.

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024

With these simple yet effective beginner photography tips, you can avoid some of the common mistakes beginners make and get improved results with your images.

May 06, 2024

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024