1st post! long exposure sunset

12 years 4 days ago #222114 by afoto
hey everyone,

this is my first post here on the forum, and i'm looking for some comments and critiques. i'm hoping to improve my landscape photography, so if you see something you like/don't like, don't hold back.

this is a long exposure sunset i shot last night, a 3 minute exposure shot with a 10 stop neutral density filter and a lee 0.9 soft grad for the sky.
i know my horizon line is close to the middle... but i thought it worked for this image, though i could be convinced otherwise if you have a good argument!

Attachments:
12 years 4 days ago #222119 by John Landolfi
I won't give you an argument: I like it the way you saw it. The composition works well with the great colors and reflections, and you used the ND filter very well. Will look forward to seeing more of your work! and, :welcomeclan :)

Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222125 by Stealthy Ninja
Finally.

:thumbsup:
12 years 4 days ago #222141 by chasrich
I love it... :judge: :judge: :judge:

I'm preparing a presentation about shooting with water. One of the first points is that water is reflective and can be a subject in its own right. Your beautiful sunset is rivaled by the reflection from the water. :thumbsup:

:welcomeclan

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 days ago #222160 by Baydream
Absolutely stunning, Abbye. I agree that the horizon placement is not a problem with this shot.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222166 by Darrell
Great very good...........:judge:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
12 years 4 days ago #222195 by Rob pix4u2
Welcome to the forum- beautiful shot btw

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 4 days ago #222207 by john_m
Beautiful shot and welcome to the family!!!

Nikon D200
Nikon 50mm f1.8D, Tokina 28-80 f2.8, Nikon 75-300, Sigma 18-200, Nikon SB-600, Nikon SB-25, Promaster triggers

12 years 4 days ago #222215 by photobod
:welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan Abbye :welcomeclan :welcomeclan :welcomeclan

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 4 days ago #222244 by aitch
I like the placement of the horizon, and the curve of the rocks /shore line and trees work very well, almost a mirror image( at least with the shapes)

I had rescued the moment by using my camera and in that way had found how to stop time and hold it. (Lovely Bones)
www.lost-lenscap.com

12 years 4 days ago #222250 by Scotty
I think it works out great.

Welcome to the boards.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 4 days ago #222253 by CWphotos
:judge: I wouldn't change a thing...it's an awesome capture!
:welcomeclan

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
12 years 4 days ago #222254 by rmeyer7
My only problem with this shot is that I'm not right there watching (and shooting) the same sunset right now! Great photo.

12 years 4 days ago - 12 years 4 days ago #222268 by afoto

rmeyer7 wrote: My only problem with this shot is that I'm not right there watching (and shooting) the same sunset right now! Great photo.

hahahah awesome!

thanks everyone for the comments.

one of my biggest struggles with always whether to shoot vertical or horizontal.

this shot was taken just before the original one, which do you prefer?

Attachments:
12 years 4 days ago #222276 by Scotty

afoto wrote:

rmeyer7 wrote: My only problem with this shot is that I'm not right there watching (and shooting) the same sunset right now! Great photo.

hahahah awesome!

thanks everyone for the comments.

one of my biggest struggles with always whether to shoot vertical or horizontal.

this shot was taken just before the original one, which do you prefer?

Question, where did you dial in your focus?

Whats the exif for this?

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024