6 months 2 weeks ago #673370 by Highschool_photography
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS Rebel T6
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/32.0
Shutter speed: 15 s
Captured: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 18:26pm

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 2 weeks ago #673406 by Nikon Shooter
There is a big difference between DoF and sharpness,
you got the first but not the second.

The key is too high and that is partly responsible for the
lack of details, try tonal taming (will help with high key).

To my taste, the 15s were way too long. Next time try 8s.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #673463 by garyrhook
Let's see if we can use terms that average people can understand...

(I find that the) exposure is fine, and appears to represent the light at that time of day.

You used a tripod. Good. You used f/32. Bad. The problem with smaller apertures is you get distortion, that can lead to an appearance of blurriness. Given your proximity to the stones, you're going to have to settle for f/11 or f/14 and less DoF (depth of field) if you want anything to be sharp.

FWIW, I've been bit by this, too. Happens to most of us. At least, those of use that make mistakes.

If you have VR on your lens, turn it off. While it's not clear that active VR on a tripod is a Bad Thing, you don't need it. It does not help you.

A 15 second exposure is fine, if that's what you want. 8 seconds is fine. 1.5 seconds is fine. You get different results with each, so explore.

For me, the composition can be improved. You don't need anything at the left of top. This could be improved by having the rocks (from this angle) and the water (and its patterns) filling the frame. We already know it's a man-made waterfall; you don't need to beat us over the head with it. By eliminating the non-rock/non-water parts of the image, our imagination fills in what lies outside the frame, making the environment bigger from our perspective. That's to your benefit as the maker.

Did you try different vantage points? You should.

All that said, find better light. Midday, kinda cloudy. Meh. Or work the image in post to add some drama.

Photo Comments

6 months 2 weeks ago #673490 by Nikon Shooter
If my English is not understandable I will translate
my thoughts into a picture.

The exposure is not fine and the key is too high, a 
simple mid-tones tweak yields this kind of drama in
the posted image.

ƒ32 will introduce diffraction — as it increases DoF
it will cause loss of sharpness.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

photo album, photo album features, best photo album, photo album layout

Aug 05, 2020

The Canon EOS 80D is several years old, but it has some great specs and features that still make it a solid choice in 2020.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

A great way to supplement your income is to sell stock photos. The question is, how do you sell photos online? Use these tips to increase stock photography sales.

Aug 04, 2020

Our upcoming photography trek and adventure series will provide you with actionable steps you can take to improve your photography and get ready for outdoor adventures of your own.

Aug 04, 2020

Not sure how to use your camera as a webcam? Use this guide to learn how to set up a DSLR or mirrorless camera with your computer.

Aug 04, 2020

A common question beginner photographers have is, what are step up rings? Learn what they are, why they're valuable, and where you can get a next-generation step up ring.

Aug 04, 2020