Blurring water (slow shutter) -- I did it!

2 weeks 14 hours ago #692396 by butcha61
This is soooo cool! I did it! B)

finally figured out how to properly blur a water fountain, etc... I quickly went over to Deep Run Park (public park, not even 10 minutes away) before it starts raining again with the gloomy looking skies overhead.  I brought along my tripod too...

I set my Nikon D3500 to Shutter Priority and went all the way down to 1/8 shutter. I didn't DARE touch the camera, so I used SnapBridge by Nikon, and used the remote control function, and took these two photos by remote.

First photo: 18-55mm small zoom, zoomed to 55mm, f/16, 1/8 shutter, and ISO 100.
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3500
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/16.0
Shutter speed: 1/8 sec
Captured: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 9:47am

Second photo: 35mm prime lens, f/11, 1/10 shutter (I must have bumped it accidently off 1/8 to 1/10), and ISO 100.
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3500
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter speed: 1/10 sec
Captured: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 9:43am

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 14 hours ago #692397 by Nikon Shooter
Well done!

The blur as inspiration of movement is way more
efficient visually than the subject in water shots. :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: butcha61

2 weeks 11 hours ago #692402 by butcha61
Thank you!

These two photos were 100% natural with the D3500, no post-processing, no anything, just the pure photo as it was with a slow 1/8 shutter, a very ominous cloudy sky, and the D3500 on a tripod.  I don't own a ND filter (...yet) but I've heard they really allow way slower shutter speeds and 3 more f-stops or something....

2 weeks 11 hours ago #692404 by Nikon Shooter

butcha61 wrote: These two photos were 100% natural with the D3500, no post-processing, no anything…

Yes, the look like that.

butcha61 wrote: I don't own a ND filter (...yet) but I've heard they really allow way slower shutter speeds and 3 more f-stops or something....

You need slower shutter speed for video mostly.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 weeks 4 hours ago #692433 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Butcha

Well done with your 'eureka moment' ...... and you are correct in that ND filters will do "interesting stuff" for you

The HD-2 filter needs 1-shutter speed longer (so 1/8 becomes 1/4sec) ... the ND-4 filter is 2 shutter speeds, and the ND-8 is 3 shutter speeds (so 1/8 goes thru 1/4 to 1/2 to 1-second)

Some of us also use an ND-100 or even an ND-1000 ... where daylight x 30second exposures are possible on occasions

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 week 6 days ago #692454 by nomad
changing the shutter speed from shot to shot isn't a bad thing.  experiment, see what shutter speed works best.  you'll find that what works for this place won't be fast or slow enough in another situation.  you can also try this as the sun is setting and just after, it'll let you get even longer shutter speeds.

1 week 6 days ago #692476 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

This is a sketch I created some time ago for my students - those like yourself who are discovering the wonders of shutter speeds and apertures

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:

1 week 6 days ago #692482 by butcha61
Wow, that was wonderful!  Thank you for that example!  I printed it out and will keep it with my camera bag! B)

Latest Landscape Photography Tips

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

With a $500 budget, there are all kinds of awesome photography gift ideas you can purchase for the photographer on your 2020 holiday shopping list!

Aug 14, 2020

What are the best metal print companies in 2020? In this detailed metal print comparison, we discuss the pros and cons of metal prints from six leading companies.

Aug 12, 2020

To expand your photography business amid the pandemic might seem like an impossible task. But if you use these photography business tips, you might find that you have more clients coming in the door.

Aug 12, 2020

With these simple post-processing tips, you will learn how to edit a landscape photo for maximum impact.

Aug 11, 2020

Not sure how to seal the deal with your clients? With these photography business tips, learn a few insider tricks for capturing more long-term business.

Aug 11, 2020

Camera straps should be an investment in something that lasts a long, long time. These specialty Star Wars camera straps from Holdfast fit the bill!

Aug 11, 2020

Having a good lens filter in your kit is paramount if you want to take the best photos. This particular lens filter might just be the best one you can buy.

Aug 11, 2020

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020