Testing out extension tubes

11 years 10 months ago #234147 by bluesydude
These were taken with a Kenko 30mm extension tube and a Canon 18-135 kit kens using manual focus.

I illuminated the wasp, that have built a nest on one of my basil plants, with the light on my iPhone.

No additional light required for the worm shot.

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234152 by McBeth Photography
I like the ingenuity of lighting with the phone, but I think that the 3rd shot is the best lit, best focus, and has the best composition. Nice work! :)

It is what it is.
11 years 10 months ago #234167 by Dori
I agree, the last one rocks! The second one looks slightly OOF to me. :judge: :judge: :judge: :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

11 years 10 months ago #234218 by chasrich
Time to start stacking those tubes... I assume you got a three tube kit right?

:judge: :judge: :judge: Macro is a fun field that is not easily mastered - you seem to be doing quite well with it though.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
11 years 10 months ago #234223 by Misti Tracy
I especially like the composition on the first photo...the angle you've captured makes the wasp look quite menacing! Kudos on getting in so close...not sure I would be able to, even with a super zoom lens!...I'm not too fond of wasps, and somehow I think the feeling is mutual. :blink: haha!
11 years 10 months ago #234225 by Baydream
:agree: on the first one. Looks like something from MIB.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #234375 by bluesydude
I really appreciate all the comments. None of these are tack sharp, I probably should have used a tripod. I really wanted to post these in case in one was wondering what could be done with tubes.

Maybe I will try some stacking but if I do I will definitely have to use a tripod!

It was interesting using the light from my iPhone because the wasp didn't like it and started trying to get away from the light.

Here is a quick shot I did last night with a macro lens and flash for comparison.

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #234405 by Baydream
That made a big difference. Notice how narrow the DoF is. You did a good job with this.
WARNING - Tubes can become addictive.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234408 by McBeth Photography
I dunno .... that's pretty doggone sharp for hand held, nice one!

It is what it is.
11 years 10 months ago #234504 by bluesydude

Baydream wrote: That made a big difference. Notice how narrow the DoF is. You did a good job with this.
WARNING - Tubes can become addictive.

Thanks so very much! The warning is a little late. ;) :)

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 10 months ago #234505 by bluesydude

McBeth Photography wrote: I dunno .... that's pretty doggone sharp for hand held, nice one!

Thanks. I am having a blast shooting this 'little stuff' even though it is can get difficult trying to get in the right position for the shot!

Focused on photography
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024