Double Daylilies

12 years 9 months ago #114015 by dlabbee

Alright, I am putting myself out there, so be kind as this is my first photo I want you guys to look at. Nah, I am tough, I can take it. How else will I learn? Tell me what I can do better. Thanks.

Attachments:
12 years 9 months ago #114034 by chasrich
I'll go first... rather than let you hang there in the breeze :rofl:

You filled the frame with color which is good. The colors seem a bit saturated for my taste. I tend to do the same thing with a lot of my shots so I might be overly sensitive to that. I'd be curious to know what, if any, post production you did on this. The colors certainly POP as a result which makes the photo seem unreal in a way.

The objective I think you are trying for is to make the bloom overwhelm the image. Try some different approaches to this kind of shot. Use a wide open aperture to get a more narrow depth of field. Blurring the background will also pop the subject. I'd also try some different lighting that might illuminate the flowers above the background. This is all things to try with the camera.

If I'm using software to enhance the original shot I always try to throttle my controls so my manipulations are undetectable. It is so easy to overboard. Can you post the original image without the post work? Comments could be separated a bit better and be more productive.

Congratulations, you passed the most difficult gauntlet we have. I vote you passed! :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlabbee
12 years 9 months ago #114054 by Shadowfixer1
The colors are nice and the detail and sharpness are good. No problem there. What is the subject? This is a busy image and one doesn't know where to look. The hardest thing for most people to learn is that photography is to simplify. Simple images work. Eliminate what is not needed to support the image. Photography is a subtractive art. In other words, you have to decide what not to include in an image. If not, then all we would shoot would be wide angle images that include everything in site. Painting is an additive art. The artist has to decide what to add to the painting to create his vision. He starts with nothing and adds to his image.

I told you all that to tell you this. Decide on the subject and crop it.
12 years 9 months ago #114068 by Dori
I will be nice...:whistle: Good shot!

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 9 months ago #114097 by dlabbee
That is the original shot no post production.

So, wider shot. Don't zoom so much and crop later. That way I blur the background and focus only on the blooms? You really have to be basic with me here.
Or, I should have focused on the stamens and made that the focus? Or maybe just one bloom instead of the whole group of them?
There are classes available at the local photo store, unfortunately they are always on a day I work. I will keep shooting and see what I can come up with.

12 years 9 months ago #114148 by Baydream
Very good. We had a pro critique our images at our last camera club meeting and his opinion was, when shooting flower, shot ONE flower.
Use of a larger aperture (smaller f/stop) and getting close will reduce the amount of the photo that is in focus (DoF). Be careful when doing that and make sure the right area in sharp.
Amazing colour for no PP.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #114361 by photobod
Everybody jumps on the its too saturated bandwagon before they know the facts Dawna so dont worry about that, my style with flowers is to make the colors pop and many people have pounced on me saying to much work on it, yet sometimes there is no work whatsoever as in your lovely photo, although I do admit that a lot of my flowers are worked on, at the end of the day flowers are colourful and thats what they should do, scream color come look at me, the one thing I do agree with is to focus on one flower and maybe have other blooms in the background going out of focus so a wide open aperture is needed.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 9 months ago #114366 by Rob pix4u2
I happen to love the saturated color, very good sharpness, nice overall

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024