Lightning Over New York City - From a Distance (Comments/Critiques Welcomed)

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #134341 by Joiemagic
These are a few shots from August 18 that I took with my Kodak EasyShare DX6490 Camera. My batteries had died on my Canon Rebel XTi and didn't realize it till I went to shoot... I was actually surprised that I caught any lightning whatsoever... Taken from my terrace looking towards Manhattan. You can make out the Empire State Building in the lower left of the photos.

Tell me what you think... Comments and Critiques always welcomed...

Added note... these were shot with the camera sitting on my "Ghetto Tripod" which I will post a picture of in another topic...

Joie Fadde
Fadde Photography / Sports Shots, Etc.
"Capturing the Timeless Moments of Life"

On Flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/faddephotography/

Attachments:
12 years 8 months ago #134344 by Papabear63
Very nice shots

12 years 8 months ago #134349 by Shanna-Marie
Excellent shots Joie, I love the 3rd one! :)

I believe that there is an explanation for everything, so, yes, I believe in miracles. ~Robert Brault

www.flickr.com/photos/shanna-m/

12 years 8 months ago #134357 by Joiemagic
That is my favorite one of the three as well Shanna... Thanks....

Note: If you want to see my Ghetto Tripod, check out my topic in the "General Photography" section... You'll get a kick out of it... That is what I have been working with for the past 2 months or so....

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 8 months ago #134364 by chasrich
Electrifying! :judge: :thumbsup: :woohoo:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago #134401 by photogem71
Great shots!! The third one is my favorite!! :)

12 years 8 months ago #134424 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't want to steal your thunder (geddit?!) but I'd like to point out that white balance makes a major difference when it comes to lightening.

I guess your camera can't change the white balance (not your fault) but adjusting the white balance can make lightning look much better...

For example:
12 years 8 months ago #134539 by Joiemagic
Yeah, White Balance adjustments on that camera not available... nor is the ability to shoot RAW. This was my first digital camera that I got when my motor drive on my EOS Elan crapped out and I had it out for repairs at Canon. Basically, a point & shoot with an optical and digital zoom.

I will keep that in mind on future lightning shots. Thanks for the tip. Never thought about White Balance adjustment. Maybe I will play with some of my other shots in RAW I have to see what I get...

I like your shot you posted there.... nice job... What did you set the White Balance at and did you do it on camera or post production?

Joie Fadde

On Flickr

12 years 8 months ago #134563 by MorePhotos
Wow, very cool shots, all of them. This is now a new goal of mine - will have to keep an eye out for storms!

PhotoScramble ( www.photoscramble.com ) | 231-932-0855 X 11

PhotoScramble enables businesses, organizations, associations, non-profits and individuals to create exciting photo contests to promote themselves, fund-raise or just have fun! Hosting, entering and voting in contests is easy. Join...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024