A Trip to the Ripley's Aquarium

12 years 5 months ago #176058 by SRT10
New to taking pictures here are some from the Aquarium. Any pointers would be great!

Joseph W. Ott
A camera is only as good as it's user.

12 years 5 months ago #176063 by gjtoth
Your last 4 are best. First one has motion blur or is out of focus. The second one leaves me wondering what I'm look at. One fish sucking the glass or two fish doing mouth-to-mouth. Could use a little more light, too. On your full lion fish image: it's best to leave a little "get away" room when shooting critters. While you do have some, it could use a little bit more.

Ripley's Aquarium is a fantastic place for a photog. I've visited the one in Gatlinburg and it's excellent. Sort of difficult to work around all the kids and rude adults but, cool nonetheless.

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SRT10
12 years 5 months ago #176071 by SRT10
Thanks Gary, Yes thats the one where I was at. I really do appricate the commets and can always use pointers I am trying new things and I have recieved good comments from friends and family but it is the outsiders that i need the opinions from to really get better.
Once again thanks
Joe

Joseph W. Ott

12 years 5 months ago #176234 by bhowdy
we appreciate you both bringing your "tourist dollars" to our humble little area of the country! :silly:

I don't try much photography thru glass, I have been to Ripley's several times with our grandson and enjoy the aquarium. Nice images Joe

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

The following user(s) said Thank You: SRT10
12 years 5 months ago #176241 by SRT10
It a great place down there, my whole family lives between Gatlinburg and Morristown! I can't wait to get back down there in a few months

Joseph W. Ott

12 years 5 months ago #176751 by Stealthy Ninja
Looks pretty nice to me. Some are a bit underexposed though. Fish in those places can be tough to photograph.
12 years 5 months ago #176765 by Screamin Scott
I've been to that aquarium as well a couple of years back...It's not easy capturing the fish behind glass. You really need flash & have to position it so as not to get reflections in the images...Here are a few of mine from that trip...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
Attachments:
12 years 5 months ago #176767 by SRT10
Those are some amazing photos. What kind of camera do you use? Ive been looking into different techniques and equipement. I am looking at the nikon d7000 but for the photos i take i am still not sure on what kind of lenes and flashes to get.

Joseph W. Ott

12 years 5 months ago #176795 by Stealthy Ninja
IMHO SRT10's lion fish shot (bottom one) is the best on this thread (Scott's included) sorry about that Scott... ;)
12 years 5 months ago #176895 by Screamin Scott

SRT10 wrote: Those are some amazing photos. What kind of camera do you use? Ive been looking into different techniques and equipement. I am looking at the nikon d7000 but for the photos i take i am still not sure on what kind of lenes and flashes to get.

I'm still using an older Nikon D70s...Don't remember what lens I had on it & can't check the exif as I am at work now...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Urban photography is a genre showcasing features in urban settings. You can photograph people, architecture, mass transit, and many other subjects. Learn how to do so in this guide!

Apr 30, 2024

The Nikon D850 might be an older DSLR, but it was ahead of its time when it debuted in 2017. That means it still has plenty of firepower to compete with today’s powerful mirrorless cameras.

Apr 30, 2024

The best beginner camera isn’t the same for everyone. That means having choice is of the utmost importance. In this guide, explore five excellent beginner camera options for 2024 and beyond.

Apr 25, 2024

Child portrait photography is a unique undertaking requiring special skills and talents to get the best results. Start mastering this photography niche with these essential tips!

Apr 25, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

Using leading lines in photography helps improve the composition by drawing viewers in and leading their eye from the foreground to the background. Explore some fine examples of this in this guide!

Apr 24, 2024

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024