Opinion Requested

12 years 3 weeks ago #222464 by bhowdy
I recently posted a correction to a bird identification and after the fact I felt bad for doing it.

Looking for everyone's opinion on this item .... I enjoy the folks around here and don't want to do anything but encourage and offer my thoughts .....

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 3 weeks ago #222469 by John37
Is this when you corrected me by saying my photo was of a turkey vulture, and not a hawk, as I misrepresented!? :lol:
Just giving you a bad time.... I'm not even sure that was you! :lol:

I, for one, don't mind people telling me I'm wrong, so long as it's repectful. But if you correct me and berate or degrade me when doing so, I mind. But that's just me. Perhaps the safest method is PM.

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bhowdy
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #222492 by bluesydude

bhowdy wrote: I recently posted a correction to a bird identification and after the fact I felt bad for doing it.

Looking for everyone's opinion on this item .... I enjoy the folks around here and don't want to do anything but encourage and offer my thoughts .....

I appreciate your knowledge and love for birds. You can correct me any time. I will never be offended. As a matter of fact, when I get time, I am going to post a couple of shots of a bird I am unable to id past the fact that is a bird. :)

And Thrasher Dasher sounds better than Thrush Rush! :)

Keep up the good work!

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222493 by gjtoth
I don't mind a bit! My hawk ID sucks... bad! I know your's is a WHOLE lot better and I appreciate the correction because you do it tactfully and without any ill-intent.

Keep on keepin' on! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

~ Gary ~
The best camera is the one you have with you.
My gallery ===> toths.us/GJT
Feel free to comment & critique.

12 years 3 weeks ago #222500 by CWphotos
You would not hurt my feelings at all if you corrected me. Your expertise is welcomed!

What you are is so loud, I can't hear a word you say!
12 years 3 weeks ago #222513 by Baydream
:agree: Ditto for all of the above. I have such a bad memory for names (people, birds, insects, flowers, you name it). I appreciate those that do know and keep me straight. :P

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222532 by chasrich
Knowledge is power - you are more than willing to share and I for one appreciate that.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 3 weeks ago #222550 by McBeth Photography

Baydream wrote: :agree: Ditto for all of the above. I have such a bad memory for names (people, birds, insects, flowers, you name it). I appreciate those that do know and keep me straight. :P

+1 :agree:

It is what it is.
12 years 3 weeks ago #222564 by bhowdy
Thanks for the replies / comments everyone. I have sent PM's before and recently about a bird identification ..... and I am far from perfect when it comes to my own identification skills at times. Actually mis-identified a bird this week in a bird survey report.

I learned much of my birding stuff from some very kind folks and am only doing as others offered ... trying to be helpful. No one has complained to me .... I just felt bad for being blunt in my reply to Bluesydudes wonderful thrasher post.

Bob Howdeshell

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera" ~ Lewis Hine

12 years 3 weeks ago #222598 by bluesydude

bhowdy wrote: .... I just felt bad for being blunt in my reply to Bluesydudes wonderful thrasher post.

Don't give it another thought. :)

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
12 years 3 weeks ago #222683 by Chloe1021
I wouldn't be offended at all. If you know something I don't know, I'd rather you tell me so I don't make the same mistake again. As long as it's done in a nice manner, share your knowledge. I love learning new things, I could soak it up all day.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024